• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A big invisible man who created the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If you have any reading comprehension skills whatsoever, Prometheus, which I believe you do, you're very well aware that I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me. I don't even have a problem with you challenging my beliefs - something I actually enjoy and appreciate a great deal when done intelligently and with a modicum of respect.

I have a problem with the fact that you insist on using a term which I not only find insulting, but have explained at length WHY I find it insulting, while you merely repeat the insult and tell me that I shouldn't be insulted because it's you think it's true.

If I were to do the same to you, with some other form of slur, you'd be ****** off, too.

So keep the passive-aggressive bs to yourself, 'cause it ain't working.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Having had it shared with me, I happen to disagree. ;)
What I was saying was that he and I have had different personal experiences, which is obvious. I can't experience his, and he can't experience mine. We can discuss them, but we cannot share them.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
People who belive in God, basically belive a big thing created the universe, performs miracles and talks to us in mysterious ways, isn't it?

More or less
icon14.gif

They sit and they pray to something that, in their mind is 100% real. However if i started walking along and talking to an imaginary friend and i believed she(lets face it if i have an imaginary friend she'll be attractive lol) was 100% real i would be put away for being crazy.

Not in my town. In fact, if you decided to build some kind of organized religion around your imaginary GF (Imaginary Girlfriendism?)and applied for tax exempt status, you'd probably get it.

Well isn't this the same as religious people praying to some invisible thing? If not how is it different from me talking loads of crazes about my invisible friend?

The difference is that the hypothetical you in your OP believes in his hypothetical IGF 100%. I wonder how many religious people have that kind of faith.

Other than that, I don't see a difference.

If the hypothetical me ran into the hypothetical you one afternoon and we exchanged hypothetical theologies my thoughts would be; Ok, this guys vision of God is a as hot babe, mine's something else, but aside from those details we're talking about the same thing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What I was saying was that he and I have had different personal experiences, which is obvious. I can't experience his, and he can't experience mine. We can discuss them, but we cannot share them.
...and the experience itself is not 'god'. I see.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
So my belief in the magical leprechaun is not deluded?

I'm so glad you think so, because Steve (his name is Steve) told me I should kill my roommates in their sleep tonight. He promised me his pot of gold if I did it and that he would bring them back to life anyway! It's just a test of my faith, you see.

I have that faith, though, and I'm willing to do whatever Steve says because I know for a fact he exists and that he is magical! Even though I can't give you any evidence of him. :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Dude, up til now, I've thought you were an interesting fellow who actually contributed to civil conversations.

Now, is there any reason I shouldn't just add you to my ignore list?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So my belief in the magical leprechaun is not deluded?

I'm so glad you think so, because Steve (his name is Steve) told me I should kill my roommates in their sleep tonight. He promised me his pot of gold if I did it and that he would bring them back to life anyway! It's just a test of my faith, you see.

I have that faith, though, and I'm willing to do whatever Steve says because I know for a fact he exists and that he is magical! Even though I can't give you any evidence of him. :D

See, the difference here is that if I ran into the hypothetical you and you told hypothetical me all this I would call 91-hypothetical-1.
icon12.gif

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
You didn't answer my question.

If I did believe in this leprechaun, would I, or would I not be deluded?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If it can't be shared, it's not evidence. Evidence is indicative and outward. Personal experience is...personal. It doesn't apply to anyone else. I'll say it again. You believing in unicorns is not evidence that they exist to anyone else but yourself. I want evidence that can be shared. If you can't provide that then why should I not question you about it? Would you rather everyone just went on their merry way and never challenged anyone else's opinions?
Personal experience is evidence to one. It is not impossible that "evidence to one" can be shared simply by communication. "Understanding" is the realisation that one's own knowledge matches another's, at least in appearance, which is sometimes the best we can hope for. Still, it is possible to share the knowledge of an experience where the actual experience is inaccessible and, as yet, unexperienced by the other, because we in general have essentially the same sensations available to us through senses, the same patterns of reasoning drilled into us, and the same emotional responses to similar stimuli. We understand the world in the same ways.

It is possible for everyone to understand spirituality, which I see as a philosophical point of view.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You didn't answer my question.

If I did believe in this leprechaun, would I, or would I not be deluded?

Who knows? Maybe (hypothetical) God decided to manifest Him/Her/Itself to you as a leprechaun just to mess with your head.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Well, Storm seems to be ignoring me now. I guess he can't answer a simple question.

Storm, if you are reading this, I hope you realize I just used your exact same logic to prove belief in a God is a delusion as much as Steve is a delusion.

Both can only be known by personal experience.

Both can not have their existence shared to others.

Both can not be verified by scientific inquiry.

Both are believed in by people who think they are receiving orders to kill people.

God is a delusion. I don't care if that's offensive. It's the truth until you can demonstrate some real evidence outside your own mind and personal perceived universe.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, Storm seems to be ignoring me now. I guess he can't answer a simple question.

Storm, if you are reading this, I hope you realize I just used your exact same logic to prove belief in a God is a delusion as much as Steve is a delusion.

Both can only be known by personal experience.

Both can not have their existence shared to others.

Both can not be verified by scientific inquiry.

Both are believed in by people who think they are receiving orders to kill people.

God is a delusion. I don't care if that's offensive. It's the truth until you can demonstrate some real evidence outside your own mind and personal perceived universe.

Sorry but your conclusion isn't logical; to say that something is something until it can be proven to be something else doesn't really make sense.

By the same logic I could just as easily say "God is a giant cream filled pastry floating in the 15th demension" and, since you can't prove otherwise, claim that your lack of proof to the contrary proves I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.