• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A big invisible man who created the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
I think too many people are neglecting Panda's real question and that they are just beating around the bush at small mistakes in his whole idea. He's just trying to say that there is nothing that makes a theist's God any more real than his imaginary friend.
Given the concept of God that I have put forth I believe that there is more reality to God than to an imaginary friend. I am saying that God is existence and existence is real. We don't need to prove that existence exists because that is a ridicules question. Which means that given my concept of God the question is not about the existence or reality of God it is about whether existence and God are synonymous whereas with the imaginary friend the question is still about whether it exists or not.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
You are still trying to circumnavigate his point. And we can still try and ask whether God exists or not because it is only your belief that God is existence. Just try and say what makes your thought any more credible than his.

I don't want to take over his argument, it's not my place, but I want to remind you people to actually stick to the main idea and not try and get around it.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I have been hovering over this article and think it is about time to post within it. I virtually concur with my friend Panda, now that he has made his position more clearly.

I do not know how people believe they hear from God. I have prayed when I was a Christian, but I got nothing in return. Theists (not all theists) praise God for the good happenings in their lives, without any evidence pointing to God being the cause of the happenings. Theists sometimes treat intuition as God, without knowing if it is their God contacting them. What makes you sure it is God and not just your own thoughts? There is absolutely no way I could believe God is contacting me or anybody without direct proof, such as a voice from the Heavens. Even then I would have to evaluate the voice to make sure it is not some other sort of being playing a trick on me.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
What makes you sure it is God and not just your own thoughts?
What makes you sure you're not a brain in a vat of an evil scientist's experiment? At some point, we just have to pick a reality and go with it, whichever one works best for us.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
What makes you sure you're not a brain in a vat of an evil scientist's experiment? At some point, we just have to pick a reality and go with it, whichever one works best for us.

I concur. The person who believes he talks with God, however, has to realize that others will and should not believe him. One person is absolutely sure YHWH talks with him, another is sure it is Jesus Christ, and yet another believes it must be Allah.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor

It's possible we are brains in vats, but is there any good reason to believe we are? No.

It's possible there is a God, but is there any good reason to believe there is? No.

It's different because your imaginary friend is imaginary. My God is real.

This is shows exactly the magnitude of the problem we're facing.

Moey

Given the concept of God that I have put forth I believe that there is more reality to God than to an imaginary friend. I am saying that God is existence and existence is real. We don't need to prove that existence exists because that is a ridicules question. Which means that given my concept of God the question is not about the existence or reality of God it is about whether existence and God are synonymous whereas with the imaginary friend the question is still about whether it exists or not.

That could all be in your mind and we all could be stuck in the Matrix.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No space is what we call an absence of matter. I admit my OP was very crude, but the point im making is me invisible friend could be just as real to me as your God is to you.
*pouts* Space is real. It's a real absence of matter.

Super Universe

Defender of God
And yet the same people come to my home to preach about about god to me and my family even though they know I do not believe.

There is just too much scientific evidence out there proving evolution to be true.

Evolution true? Of course it is. God invented it. It's quite ingenius, complex biological systems essentially take care of themselves.

Nothing science ever discovers will discount God, science is simply finding the clues to God's great creation.

But be sure that you don't put unreasonable faith in your scientists. Evolution doesn't explain the origin of life.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's possible there is a God, but is there any good reason to believe there is? No.
Maybe not for you, but for me, and others, the answer is a resounding "yes." I should think that was rather obvious.

My personal experiences render the conclusion "there is a God" inevitable. I have no more choice in the matter than you do regarding gravity, or rocks.

It goes without saying that my personal experiences are just that: mine, and personal. They are not the same as your personal experience, and it's not surprising that our different histories lead us to different conclusions. But I don't sit around saying that there's no good reason to be an atheist, or agnostic, or (supernatural, since there's been some confusion) theist.

I don't disparage differing worldviews with comparisons that imply - however obliquely - mental illness in those that hold to them, or accuse those who disagree with me of being irrational. Why do you feel the need to do so?

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Maybe not for you, but for me, and others, the answer is a resounding "yes." I should think that was rather obvious.

My personal experiences render the conclusion "there is a God" inevitable. I have no more choice in the matter than you do regarding gravity, or rocks.

It goes without saying that my personal experiences are just that: mine, and personal. They are not the same as your personal experience, and it's not surprising that our different histories lead us to different conclusions.

This is called the Relativist Fallacy. "It may be true for you, but not for me." Sorry, but your personal experience doesn't amount to evidence.

But I don't sit around saying that there's no good reason to be an atheist, or agnostic, or (supernatural, since there's been some confusion) theist.

I don't disparage differing worldviews with comparisons that imply - however obliquely - mental illness in those that hold to them, or accuse those who disagree with me of being irrational. Why do you feel the need to do so?

Because to believe in something without evidence is, by definition, irrational. I care about the truth. If anyone claims something is true, it has to have evidence. Personal experience is a loophole anyone can use to claim anything is true. I don't want to live in a world where people live out their lives believing in a God that is not there. It skews your sense of reality. It skews your sense of morality. It skews your sense of self-identity.

Whether there is a supreme being or creator in this universe is one of the most significant questions we could ask. A universe with a God would be extraordinarily different from a universe without a God. It's important that we find the truth to this question. In doing so, however, it's ridiculous to use a thing called "faith" to come to this conclusion. Faith is so often touted as something good when it's really nothing more but a gaping excuse to think whatever you want to think and not have to answer to anyone else. Faith is self-deception and an insult to the human mind. Nothing we enjoy in the modern world came about by faith. It came through careful study, critical analysis, skepticism and empirical, observable evidence. Science works. Faith doesn't.

That is why I'm not going to sit back and watch mankind slip into a bubble of delusion.

Live and let live? Let sleeping dogs lie? These are excuses for laziness and I'm not going to stop questioning and challenging people just because "it might make them feel bad." Boo-hoo.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
This is called the Relativist Fallacy. "It may be true for you, but not for me."
No, reread what I posted. I'm not claiming relative truth. I'm claiming that, having different sets of data to consider, we come to different conclusions.

Sorry, but your personal experience doesn't amount to evidence.
Not for you, no. And I didn't say it should. I said it does for me. So unless you'd like to present a case for why I should ignore my own history and reasoning for blind faith in your conclusion, the point is valid.

Because to believe in something without evidence is, by definition, irrational.
I don't believe in something without evidence. I believe in something I have experienced directly.

I care about the truth.
So do I. What's your point?

If anyone claims something is true, it has to have evidence.
Yes, and it does. It does not have evidence that can be shared. If your companion on a hike sees a bird that you did not, does that mean that the bird wasn't there? Does your failure to glimpse it before it flew away justify calling your companion a liar, or irrational?

Personal experience is a loophole anyone can use to claim anything is true.
No, personal experience the the foundation for all our beliefs, disbeliefs, and conclusions.

I don't want to live in a world where people live out their lives believing in a God that is not there.
Well then, you should accept the fact that maybe God is there, because otherwise you'll be very unhappy. Or you could just... you know... get over it. Not everybody is going to agree with you on everything. That's called "diversity." Find a way to cope.

It skews your sense of reality. It skews your sense of morality. It skews your sense of self-identity.
Uhm, no. My senses of morality, reality, and self-identity are just fine, thanks.

Whether there is a supreme being or creator in this universe is one of the most significant questions we could ask.
Absolutely. And if it had a clear-cut, empirically verifiable answer, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So why don't you extend me the same courtesy I extend to you, and accept that I can disagree with your conclusions without calling me irrational, or speculating on my mental health and moral compass, hmm?

A universe with a God would be extraordinarily different from a universe without a God.
Maybe, maybe not. How do you know?

It's important that we find the truth to this question. In doing so, however, it's ridiculous to use a thing called "faith" to come to this conclusion.
You're making assumptions here that you really shouldn't. Faith was my conclusion, not my premise.

Faith is so often touted as something good when it's really nothing more but a gaping excuse to think whatever you want to think and not have to answer to anyone else.
And atheists like you and heretics like me really know that the Christian God is real, we just don't want to be bound to His morality. Blah, blah, bigotcakes.

Faith is self-deception and an insult to the human mind.
faith –noun
1.confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2.belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3.belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4.belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5.a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6.the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7.the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.

Hmm, nothing in there about deception. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Nothing we enjoy in the modern world came about by faith. It came through careful study, critical analysis, skepticism and empirical, observable evidence.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Except, those truths aren't self-evident. This is a statement of faith. "Careful study, critical analysis, skepticism and empirical, observable evidence" in fact show equality, at the very least, to be false, the Creator to be debateable, and the unalienable rights to be all too alienable. Yet we still have faith in it. Why? Because it makes the world we live in a better place.

And yet, this is the premise of the Bill of Rights, which enshrines as sacred and inviolate your right to make an *** of yourself by refusing to show mutual respect in the name of the religious tolerance that protects you.

Science works. Faith doesn't.
I can't help but pity those who live in black-and-white worlds. You miss so much beauty.

That is why I'm not going to sit back and watch mankind slip into a bubble of delusion.
1) Delusion is belief in the face of invalidating evidence, not belief without testable proof. Present invalidating evidence, or you have no leg to stand on.

2) And just what are you going to do about it? Argue on the internet? That might stroke your ego, but it won't be changing any worldviews, especially if the best argument you can come up with boils down to ad hominem.

Live and let live? Let sleeping dogs lie? These are excuses for laziness and I'm not going to stop questioning and challenging people just because "it might make them feel bad." Boo-hoo.
Yeah, after all, it's not like religious tolerance has ever done anything for atheists... :sarcastic

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
No, reread what I posted. I'm not claiming relative truth. I'm claiming that, having different sets of data to consider, we come to different conclusions.

Only one of our conclusions is true, if either. That can be determined by who has the better explanation which accounts for all the evidence. So, because neither of us have evidence of a God, the more correct thing to assume is that there is not a God until evidence can show otherwise. Now, I will ask again, do you have evidence or not?

Not for you, no. And I didn't say it should. I said it does for me. So unless you'd like to present a case for why I should ignore my own history and reasoning for blind faith in your conclusion, the point is valid.

I'm not asking you to have blind faith in my or any conclusion. As I said, faith is not a tool for discovering truth. I'm asking you to look at the evidence (or lack thereof). Why do you believe in God but not faeries when both are just as probable to exist?

I don't believe in something without evidence. I believe in something I have experienced directly.

Once again, your personal experience does not amount to evidence. When someone has a personal experience that they were abducted by aliens, that's not evidence. When someone has a hallucination there is a pink elephant in their living room, it's not evidence. Until you can show me something real, I have every reason in the world to think you're delusional.

So do I. What's your point?

That you're believing in something you can't demonstrate to anyone else. That's fantasy, not reality.

Yes, and it does. It does not have evidence that can be shared. If your companion on a hike sees a bird that you did not, does that mean that the bird wasn't there? Does your failure to glimpse it before it flew away justify calling your companion a liar, or irrational?

Until I find evidence myself that the bird was there, what reason do I have to believe it was?

What you don't realize is that there is a difference between something actually existing and just believing that it exists. I'm entirely able to admit that it is possible that a God exists. That doesn't give me good reason to believe that one does. There probably was a bird there. That doesn't mean I have any justifiable reason to believe that there actually was one except faith in my friend.

The difference between your analogy and God is that I've actually seen birds before. I knew birds existed before this incident with my friend. Switch it around to say that my friend saw, not a bird, but a magical flying horse. Should I believe him just because he said it?

No, personal experience the the foundation for all our beliefs, disbeliefs, and conclusions.

Yes, but it's not the foundation of truth.

Well then, you should accept the fact that maybe God is there, because otherwise you'll be very unhappy. Or you could just... you know... get over it. Not everybody is going to agree with you on everything. That's called "diversity." Find a way to cope.

I never asked everyone to agree with me. I asked people to apply the same skepticism to God as they do to everything else in their lives.

Uhm, no. My senses of morality, reality, and self-identity are just fine, thanks.

I never said they were bad, but they are potentially different than they would be if you didn't believe in a God.

Absolutely. And if it had a clear-cut, empirically verifiable answer, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So why don't you extend me the same courtesy I extend to you, and accept that I can disagree with your conclusions without calling me irrational, or speculating on my mental health and moral compass, hmm?

Just because I call a black cat white doesn't make it so. No one thinks they are delusional, they just are.

Maybe, maybe not. How do you know?

Oh I don't know, maybe there is a huge difference between an immense, omniscient, omnipotent being or force existing and not? Just as there is a huge difference between there being a zebra in your house and not.

You're making assumptions here that you really shouldn't. Faith was my conclusion, not my premise.

Wherever faith is involved it shows your lack of evidence. If you can't show me evidence, why do you expect me to just let you be? If that was the way the world worked then everyone who had hallucinations would still be wandering around society. Instead they are in places where they can get mental help. We don't just ignore people when they go insane. I don't ignore people when the make ridiculous claims about the nature of reality. I challenge it. Do you think the idea that there is a giant lobster living on Venus deserves some kind of respect? I don't.

And atheists like you and heretics like me really know that the Christian God is real, we just don't want to be bound to His morality. Blah, blah, bigotcakes.

I would be a bigot if I was intolerant of you as a person. I would be a bigot if I believed you should be forced to think and act a certain way. I don't.

When you look at people who claim to have been abducted and you think they are wrong are you bigoted against them? No. You think they are ridiculous, but you still are tolerant of their right to hold those beliefs.

faith –noun
2.belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

Yep. Not based on truth. You can have faith there are vampires, but it's a delusion.

Yet we still have faith in it. Why? Because it makes the world we live in a better place.

Something making you feel better or more comfortable has nothing to do with the truth.

And yet, this is the premise of the Bill of Rights, which enshrines as sacred and inviolate your right to make an *** of yourself by refusing to show mutual respect in the name of the religious tolerance that protects you.

I tolerate religious beliefs, but I think they are blatantly wrong. You need to figure out the difference. Are you intolerant of me because you disagree with me? Of course not.

I can't help but pity those who live in black-and-white worlds. You miss so much beauty.

If I lived in a dumpster, I'd rather be sad and know it's a dumpster than be happy and think it's a mansion.

1) Delusion is belief in the face of invalidating evidence, not belief without testable proof. Present invalidating evidence, or you have no leg to stand on.

What evidence do I need to present? You want me to give you evidence that there isn't something? How do I do that?

I can't prove a negative. You're the one making a positive assertion. You have to provide the evidence for your claim.

2) And just what are you going to do about it? Argue on the internet? That might stroke your ego, but it won't be changing any worldviews, especially if the best argument you can come up with boils down to ad hominem.

If I called you stupid, that would be an ad hominem. I haven't. I've said you're wrong. Not the same thing.

Yeah, after all, it's not like religious tolerance has ever done anything for atheists... :sarcastic

Just to repeat it, in case you missed it, disagreeing with you and challenging you to question is not being intolerant of you.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Only one of our conclusions is true...
To whom?

That can be determined by who has the better explanation which accounts for all the evidence.
So whatever is "best" is true? Isn't that relative?

So, because neither of us have evidence of a God, the more correct thing to assume is that there is not a God until evidence can show otherwise. Now, I will ask again, do you have evidence or not?
No; assuming 'no god' based on no evidence makes just as much sense as assuming a 'god' based on no evidence.

I could give you evidence, but by your imposed criteria you would not accept it.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Status
Not open for further replies.