• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A challenge to show me wrong

gnomon

doppelgänger;2494518 said:

Thank you!

Personally, I really don't know what to think about all this. I've come to this thread late, but with all the intelligent arguments made convinces me that I made a good "choice" when I decided to join the RF of my own "free will". :p This site definitely stimulates my brain. My question is, is it possible for free will and pre-destination to co-exist?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

I don't know if I can answer your question but this is where I'm at in the discussion.

Did free will bring you to this site? Or me to this site? Not possessing a memory of events that I could tie into a precise logical step by step conclusion that would have inevitably led me to this site I would say it appears to be free will. After all I do recall what the specific search term was in Google that brought this forum to my attention. After a discussion at a political forum I googled "religion, forum, evolution" and this site came up. I joined, admonished Darkdale and responded to a post about Hurricane Katrina and BAM.......I'm here. Still reading. In what would appear to be a number of unrelated events of coming home from work, reading posts on one forum, deciding to do a Google search on a subject, finding this forum and joining to make a couple of points.

However, it may just be I cannot account for all the aspects of my own personality, personal experiences and recalled memories that I'm simply not consciously aware of all the events as well as all events outside my own consciousness by others that inevitably led me here. So I'm thinking that we react on impulses under the illusion of free will because it is not possible for our brains to accurately and precisely record all the facts that lead us to certain events. Which may be what I call a useful illusion because I know some of the arguments brought about under the notion of predeterminism often related to criminal activity which I don't think a society could function if the majority of adherents followed that philosophy.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
No, i mean it the same way he didn't chose which mind to have.
Anyway, i wouldn't say an individual uses his mind.
An individual is his mind.
His conscious mind? That part where the movie of existence plays out for observation and reflection?

blackout

Violet.
I think the point of my last (train) post was probably lost and missed.

If I am VERY aware not to make choices
because others around me want me to make those choices,
(ie. not to make choices due to pressure and expectation of others)
but to make choices that stem from my OWN person'all DESIRE,
and then those choices create momentum in my life,
and I continue to dig into how and why others manipulate
what we do, and why,
and I continue to discern my decision making
at the foot of my OWN ALTAR/ALTER,
in accordance with what I actually want,
My life becomes more CONSCIOUSLY my own,
by means of contemplation, creation, and then in turn,
the domino effect of MY OWNed causations.

Perhaps this is not 'free will' proper,
but
it does "make a real boy, from a puppet".

Anyhow, if we all live by our own illusions,
this is the illusion
that brings the most 'magic' and happiness to my Being.
(I know, because I've tried living other people's illusions
before my own.
The line of that causation was a train wreck of a life.)

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No, i mean it the same way he didn't chose which mind to have.
Look at it this way: could he have chosen which mind? If not, if he couldn't have chosen (had no choice), then that would be why he didn't choose.

Otherwise, you're implying he could have chosen which mind to have.

Anyway, i wouldn't say an individual uses his mind.
An individual is his mind.
I'd say both. ;)

Koldo

Outstanding Member
doppelgänger;2496186 said:
His conscious mind?

Yes.

doppelgänger;2496186 said:
That part where the movie of existence plays out for observation and reflection?

That is also a role of the conscious mind.
There is more to it though.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Look at it this way: could he have chosen which mind? If not, if he couldn't have chosen (had no choice), then that would be why he didn't choose.

Otherwise, you're implying he could have chosen which mind to have.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't understand what you mean by this.
You said his will chose an answer, but it wasn't free because he didn't get to choose his will, the same way he doesn't get to chose which mind. I'm saying if he "doesn't get to choose," then that may be "unfree will" but more so, it's "against his will." It's not really willed at all.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You said his will chose an answer, but it wasn't free because he didn't get to choose his will, the same way he doesn't get to chose which mind. I'm saying if he "doesn't get to choose," then that may be "unfree will" but more so, it's "against his will." It's not really willed at all.

It is not against his will.
If it was then It would be necessary for his will to exist before he could choose a will ( as a whole ). This is certainly not possible.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Rather, it is where some options are presented.
If that's where the options "are presented," what is the thing that does the choosing? I don't mean to inquire what word we use for it. I mean to get what you understand it to be . . . how it works?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
doppelgänger;2496617 said:
If that's where the options "are presented," what is the thing that does the choosing? I don't mean to inquire what word we use for it. I mean to get what you understand it to be . . . how it works?

Choices are made by the mind using the parameters set by the will.
In other words, the will picks the answer while the mind writes it down.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Is Will what you want? or what you Do.

When you do what you want,
and you want what you do,

Perhaps that, is Will.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It is not against his will.
If it was then It would be necessary for his will to exist before he could choose a will ( as a whole ). This is certainly not possible.
Doesn't the will exist whether he chooses it or not? Else, what are we talking about?

It really is necessary for a will to exist before he can choose or not choose it.

blackout

Violet.
I must somehow be lost here,
because to me
Will has to do with what one wants,
and what one does to obtain/bring forth/manifest
that desire.
A most conscious endeavor.

That said,
our desires themselves
may rise up from the mix of factors
that makes me, me
and you, you.

Certainly, we do not all desire the same things.
Some things yes,
but they are more needs.
Food, shelter, clean water...

For the most part I think human beings
are born with the Will to Live.
The Desire to Live.