• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A challenge to show me wrong

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If the pieces aren't fitting together, that it may be them that's the problem, but I would suggest it's this other piece that's the bigger problem:
There are only two ways actions take place; completely randomly, or caused.
That's the piece that is trying to squeeze the other pieces together. :D

idav

Being
Premium Member
doppelgänger;2492911 said:
I have no choice but to conclude free will is a useful illusion.
Nice paradox. Your caused to believe free will is an illusion but use the illusion to seemingly cause things yourself. I doubt someone who believed in hard determinism would just live life by letting the chips fall wherever without attempting an active decisions. Why make a decision if I'm not the cause of the decision?

Skwim

Veteran Member
If the pieces aren't fitting together, that it may be them that's the problem, but I would suggest it's this other piece that's the bigger problem:

That's the piece that is trying to squeeze the other pieces together. :D
The reason I didn't phrase this as an "either/or" statement; 'There are only two ways actions can possibly take place; either entirely randomly, or entirely caused," is because at the subatomic level it appears that true, uncaused randomness does occur.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Nice paradox. Your caused to believe free will is an illusion but use the illusion to seemingly cause things yourself. I doubt someone who believed in hard determinism would just live life by letting the chips fall wherever without attempting an active decisions. Why make a decision if I'm not the cause of the decision?
Determinism includes active decisions. Lots of people seem to be either forgetting or ignoring this. The tenet of determinism is that these decisions are still in the chain of causality, not that they're not "yours" in all useful ways.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The reason I didn't phrase this as an "either/or" statement; 'There are only two ways actions can possibly take place; either entirely randomly, or entirely caused," is because at the subatomic level it appears that true, uncaused randomness does occur.
So you mean caused or uncaused?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Determinism includes active decisions. Lots of people seem to be either forgetting or ignoring this. The tenet of determinism is that these decisions are still in the chain of causality, not that they're not "yours" in all useful ways.
Right; determinism (at least the popular version) takes "you" out of the picture.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Well, let's be clear. A strict determinist doesn't exist, because strict determinism necessarily denies the existential predicate of language => to say "free will" is an illusion is to say "I am" is an illusion.

The paradox is rather simply resolved by eliminating the habit in thought of equating "random" with "uncaused." My behavior in a given situation is the product of an infinitely or likely almost infinitely complex web of causal predicates, the most immediate of which are the activities of my neurology occurring completely outside the perception of conscious thought - the subconscious. This makes them unpredictable and uncertain before they have occurred. That does not make my behavior uncaused. In a given "choice" the entirety of the causal universe of which I am a part was such that the behaviors I manifest were always going to be what they were determined to be - and how I would view and determine them would, in turn, be a product of an infinite web of causes.

As an information system trying to make predictions from incomplete information, thought cannot account for enough of that web of causes to eliminate this appearance of "randomness." Once the mistake is made of severing "randomness" from uncertainty and projecting randomness as an attribute of reality rather than an attribute of information about reality, it necessarily follows that uncaused phantoms arise - i.e. the will, intelligent design, an implicate order to the Universe.

An information system that has a place in reality for free will as a thing in itself is fundamentally theistic.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
*Raises up I'Mage'inary Sword!*

*Wills to Become in her Own I'm'age!*

*WerShapes the I'doll of her name's sake*

*Embraces her Luster*

*Defines her Purpose*

*Casts her Fate to the Wind....*

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Caused. If an action lacks cause then the only way I see it happening is by utter randomness: it could just as well not occur as occur.
I was thinking along the lines of a random occurrence being initiated just as those tests are initiated at the subatomic level showing randomness or unpredictability. So to say a random event has a cause for occurring though the result was an unknown.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I was thinking along the lines of a random occurrence being initiated just as those tests are initiated at the subatomic level showing randomness or unpredictability. So to say a random event has a cause for occurring though the result was an unknown.
Be careful with the conclusion that motion on the Planck scale is uncaused. Such experiments may simply be showing us that our basic models for the substance of the Universe - i.e. matter/energy/space requires adjustment for predicting and explaining such movements.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Both "randomness" and "cause" are observational phenomenon.
Observational in what sense? That there needs to be an observer in order for them to take place, or that all random and caused events are capable of being observed, or . . . ?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Observational in what sense? That there needs to be an observer in order for them to take place, or that all random and caused events are capable of being observed, or . . . ?
That there needs to be some intelligence putting the pieces together in order for them to "be."

Actually, "observational phenomenon" is a tautology --phenomenon is observational.

gnomon

doppelgänger;2492981 said:
That's why I take the thorazine.

Well that's a bit heavy.

But on one of your earlier points on randomness and uncaused I'm a bit confused. I'll blame the half bottle of single barrel I'm into at the moment.

Are you stating that while a seemingly apparent random choice may appear uncaused it is actually due to a series of causations? While a sentiment I would agree with in that what may appear as a random action is due to a predisposed personality on a series of causes, or rather observances, I'm not fully understanding your statement that an IS system is essentially theistic.

Or maybe it's the whiskey.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
gnomon to doppelgänger;2492986 said:
But on one of your earlier points on randomness and uncaused I'm a bit confused. I'll blame the half bottle of single barrel I'm into at the moment.

Are you stating that while a seemingly apparent random choice may appear uncaused it is actually due to a series of causations? While a sentiment I would agree with in that what may appear as a random action is due to a predisposed personality on a series of causes, or rather observances, I'm not fully understanding your statement that an IS system is essentially theistic.

Or maybe it's the whiskey.
I had the same question, but I wasn't drinking. :) I see no connection between an autonomous decision-maker in a chaotic deterministic system and theism.