• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christian believes --------------------------------?

jimb

Premium Member
Faith belief: God exists. Fact: the sun shines.

Faith is not belief; it is sure knowledge. It's sad that you lack faith and clearly don't understand what it is.

“Whoever does not see God everywhere does not see Him anywhere.” – Kotzker Rebbe

jimb

Premium Member
Faith belief: God exists. Fact: the sun shines.
"Faith belief"? Where did you come up with that one?

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1 NET

Do you not understand what "being sure" means. I am sure that the sun shines; I am also sure that God exists.

"Now without faith it is impossible to please him, for the one who approaches God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." Hebrews 11:6 NET

Good luck denying God's existence! You should be ashamed of yourself, and you will pay the price for denying the fact that God exists.

=> Read my signature below for an explanation of your ignorance <=

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Faith is not belief; it is sure knowledge. It's sad that you lack faith and clearly don't understand what it is.
I'm sorry, but faith does NOT mean sure knowledge. The word faith is used for two things: asserting that something is true that is not proven, and having trust in someone.
“Whoever does not see God everywhere does not see Him anywhere.” – Kotzker Rebbe
I'm not sure why you quoted my tagline. It seems to be utterly random.

jimb

Premium Member
A fact is something that is proven. Faith beliefs like God's existence of the divine origin of the Bible are NOT proven. I'm not dismissing faith. I'm simply pointing out if you have faith, you believe in something not a fact.
YOU ARE WRONG! Just because you don't understand faith, i.e., confirmed belief, doesn't mean you're right.

jimb

Premium Member
Yeap. I expected you to ignore the clear example that disproves you. "Don't confuse me with the facts. My mind is made up."
So you mind is made up! That is obvious! And you have been proven wrong!

Your own "signature" disproves you! “Whoever does not see God everywhere does not see Him anywhere.” – Kotzker Rebbe Is Kotzker Rebbe also wrong???

jimb

Premium Member
I'm sorry, but faith does NOT mean sure knowledge. The word faith is used for two things: asserting that something is true that is not proven, and having trust in someone.

Sorry, but I believe the Bible, not you. How many times must I post this verse???

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1, NET

BEING SURE!!! Plain English!

P.S. Does your Rabbi also deny that God exists???

IndigoChild5559

Read my previous message #178. The Bible clearly defines faith, which is the opposite of what you claim. Why should I choose your opinion over God's word?
You are using an English word: faith. If you don't know what it means, and don't want to take my word for it, consult a dictionary.

jimb

Premium Member
You are using an English word: faith. If you don't know what it means, and don't want to take my word for it, consult a dictionary.
Unlike yourself, I know what faith truly means. I don't need to consult a dictionary when the Bible gives a clear definition.

IndigoChild5559

Sorry, but I believe the Bible, not you. How many times must I post this verse???

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, being convinced of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1, NET

BEING SURE!!! Plain English!
Plain English? The NT was written in Greek, not English.

I went to biblehub to read your verse, and was shocked that it was all over the place. Translation of the word in question ranged from "substance" to "assurance" to "confidence. So I then went to Strongs. Here is what Strong's had to say:
Pronounce: hoop-os'-tas-is

Strongs Number: G5287

Orig: from a compound of 5259 and 2476; a setting under (support), i.e. (figuratively) concretely, essence, or abstractly, assurance (objectively or subjectively):--confidence, confident, person, substance. G5259

The long and short of it is this: There are many different meanings of the Greek word. Thus, when translating, you have to use the definition that makes the most sense given the context. Since the context is a remark about faith, rendering it "certainty" doesn't work. I'm not a Greek scholar, but it appears to me that the translation of "assurance" makes the most sense. After all, faith does tend to assure people, even if it is not proof.
P.S. Does your Rabbi also deny that God exists???
This remark baffles me. The word "also" would imply that you think I don't believe God exists. I thought I made it clear to you that I DO believe in God.

IndigoChild5559

"Faith belief"? Where did you come up with that one?
As I stated earlier, faith has two meanings:
  1. Asserting beliefs not proven.
  2. Trusting in someone.
My phrasing "faith belief" was meant to make sure there was no misunderstanding which of those two definitions I was using.

jimb

Premium Member
Plain English? The NT was written in Greek, not English.

I went to biblehub to read your verse, and was shocked that it was all over the place. Translation of the word in question ranged from "substance" to "assurance" to "confidence. So I then went to Strongs. Here is what Strong's had to say:
Pronounce: hoop-os'-tas-is

Strongs Number: G5287

Orig: from a compound of 5259 and 2476; a setting under (support), i.e. (figuratively) concretely, essence, or abstractly, assurance (objectively or subjectively):--confidence, confident, person, substance. G5259

The long and short of it is this: There are many different meanings of the Greek word. Thus, when translating, you have to use the definition that makes the most sense given the context. Since the context is a remark about faith, rendering it "certainty" doesn't work. I'm not a Greek scholar, but it appears to me that the translation of "assurance" makes the most sense. After all, faith does tend to assure people, even if it is not proof.

This remark baffles me. The word "also" would imply that you think I don't believe God exists. I thought I made it clear to you that I DO believe in God.
Oh, the New Testament was written in Greek? I had no idea!

The long and short of it is that you have to understand Christian doctrine, which clearly you don't. You have a predetermined mindset, because of your Judaism, to misinterpret the New Testament. You have to rely on Strongs to explain what is written, which clearly means that you miss the connotation of the text.

I have been a Christian for 47 years, have attended Bible school, and have been a deacon of my church. My Jewish background has given me real insight into what the Bible means -- both Testaments. Unlike yourself, I understand the New Covenant, i.e., the agreement that we have with God, that was accomplished through His Son, Yeshuah HA MASHIACH (who is also God). I was healed by Yeshuah when I was an atheist, so the covenant is not hypothetical to me. I understand it viscerally, not just intellectually. My faith is not an academic exercise; it is the basis of who I am.

So stop with the pseudo-intellectual Strongs nonsense and try to understand God's New Covenant. Remember that Yeshua ha Mashiach was a Jew, and all the first "Christians" were Jews, as were all the authors of the entire Bible (with one exception).

Christianity is not a religion of the Gentiles. It is the new covenant between YHWH and those who accept Yeshua as the Messiah, regardless of their ethnicity.

IndigoChild5559

Oh, the New Testament was written in Greek? I had no idea!

The long and short of it is that you have to understand Christian doctrine, which clearly you don't.
Again, you are conflating "understanding" with "believing." I have a very good understanding of Christian teaching, I just DISAGREE with it.

jimb

Premium Member
Again, you are conflating "understanding" with "believing." I have a very good understanding of Christian teaching, I just DISAGREE with it.
Judging by what you write, you do NOT understand Christian teaching.

God must reveal the truth to you. Without His opening your "spiritual eyes", you will remain "blind".

jimb

Premium Member

If you read Hebrews 11:1, you will see that your definition of (Christian) faith is wrong.

I quoted your tagline because you do not see God anywhere.

IndigoChild5559

Judging by what you write, you do NOT understand Christian teaching.

God must reveal the truth to you. Without His opening your "spiritual eyes", you will remain "blind".
Ah the old, "I don't need to provide a convincing argument, since you are incapable of understanding a compelling argument without God intervening." It's a total cop out. It may make you FEEL better despite being unable to make your case, but it accomplishes nothing.

jimb

Premium Member
Ah the old, "I don't need to provide a convincing argument, since you are incapable of understanding a compelling argument without God intervening." It's a total cop out. It may make you FEEL better despite being unable to make your case, but it accomplishes nothing.
A perfect example of your inability to comprehend!!!