• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christian believes --------------------------------?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe that anyone who believes this is definitely a Christian:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic* church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.

*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places

Others who don't believe this may also be Christians, I don't know. I have enough to worry about with myself, not with other people.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe that anyone who believes this is definitely a Christian:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
and born of the virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended to heaven
and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,

*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places

Others who don't believe this may also be Christians, I don't know. I have enough to worry about with myself, not with other people.
I often listen to Christian radio stations for inspiration while I am out walking for two or three hours a day.
I have a little radio I carry and I cannot always get the stations to come in clearly so I listen to whatever I can get.
There are two stations which are Protestant and one Catholic station. I really like the Catholic station but I can't usually get it to come in.

I listen to the Protestant stations because I like the music. They don't play music on the Catholic station, they just give sermons.
I generally prefer Catholic beliefs to Protestant beliefs and believe they are closer to what Jesus taught, so I like what they say when they are preaching. They often repeat this over and over:

the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I often listen to Christian radio stations for inspiration while I am out walking for two or three hours a day.
I have a little radio I carry and I cannot always get the stations to come in clearly so I listen to whatever I can get.
There are two stations which are Protestant and one Catholic station. I really like the Catholic station but I can't usually get it to come in.

I listen to the Protestant stations because I like the music. They don't play music on the Catholic station, they just give sermons.
I generally prefer Catholic beliefs to Protestant beliefs and believe they are closer to what Jesus taught, so I like what they say when they are preaching. They often repeat this over and over:

the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
Interesting. By the way, for many years I attended a Protestant church that said the whole Apostle's Creed too, including the catholic (with a small c) part. I mean, like every Sunday. He even gave a sermon on the small c!

Just for the heck of it, sermons in Catholicism are usually called homilies. I mean, in case you ever get confused or hear that word and think it's something different.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
What exactly is "a spiritual body"?
Good question. Personally I think it’s a religious way to say physical. I don’t think people ‘spirits’ are real. I do believe in the spirit of truth which is part of the trinity though. Although Christian’s call this the third person and in some ways it is living because it’s coming from God and Jesus as well as people so I guess I’ll give it to them. Haha

jimb

Premium Member
What do you think is wrong with it?
It is sarcastic and mean-spirited. God is "awful" and "immoral"? Jesus being in the tomb for three days is "... like having a rough weekend"? God is "strange" and not impressive? Etc.

You sound extremely adolescent in your comments. Grow up!!!

jimb

Premium Member
Good question. Personally I think it’s a religious way to say physical. I don’t think people ‘spirits’ are real. I do believe in the spirit of truth which is part of the trinity though. Although Christian’s call this the third person and in some ways it is living because it’s coming from God and Jesus as well as people so I guess I’ll give it to them. Haha
Haha???

Nimos

It is sarcastic and mean-spirited. God is "awful" and "immoral"? Jesus being in the tomb for three days is "... like having a rough weekend"? God is "strange" and not impressive? Etc.

Did God equip Adam and Eve with the ability to know right from wrong or good from evil, before accusing them of having done something wrong?

If God is all-knowing which it is claimed, then he would know that Adam and Eve would be tricked by the snake yet did nothing to help them, yet he chose to blame them, which to me is immoral.

Did God let his son be sacrificed for something he himself caused or could have prevented? That is awful and immoral

If a person did something similar it would be considered an immoral thing to do, wouldn't you agree?

If one believes in the holy trinity and God, the spirit and Jesus is one, then the sacrifice isn't a big deal, again we are talking about an infinitely powerful God.

I didn't say God was strange, even though I do think that, but I said the idea behind the sacrifice is strange and again if God is as powerful as it is claimed the sacrifice isn't impressive, because none was made.

What exactly did God sacrifice in your opinion?

You might not agree with my opinion which is perfectly fine, but when you answer the questions raised above, which of them do you think I'm wrong about?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Nimos doesn't need to grow up. I have known him for five years so I know that he is very intelligent and mature, and still my favorite atheist. :)

Just because you don't like what he says about your beliefs that doesn't make him unintelligent or immature.
He and I do not always agree on things but the 'mature' thing is to agree to disagree, not to lash out as you have done.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Muffled said: I believe there is no such thing as a spiritual body. There is a Spirit.

Then I guess you don't believe what the Bible says.

1 Corinthians 15
New Living Translation

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.
42 It is the same way with the resurrection of the dead. Our earthly bodies are planted in the ground when we die, but they will be raised to live forever.
43 Our bodies are buried in brokenness, but they will be raised in glory. They are buried in weakness, but they will be raised in strength.
44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
@Muffled said: I believe there is no such thing as a spiritual body. There is a Spirit.

Then I guess you don't believe what the Bible says.

1 Corinthians 15
New Living Translation

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.
42 It is the same way with the resurrection of the dead. Our earthly bodies are planted in the ground when we die, but they will be raised to live forever.
43 Our bodies are buried in brokenness, but they will be raised in glory. They are buried in weakness, but they will be raised in strength.
44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.
I believe Paul incorrectly used the word spirit because he needed to differentiate between a body that dies and one that doesn't and there was no word to use for that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe Paul incorrectly used the word spirit because he needed to differentiate between a body that dies and one that doesn't and there was no word to use for that.
A body that dies is a physical body.
A body that never dies is a spiritual body.

jimb

Premium Member
Did God equip Adam and Eve with the ability to know right from wrong or good from evil, before accusing them of having done something wrong?

If God is all-knowing which it is claimed, then he would know that Adam and Eve would be tricked by the snake yet did nothing to help them, yet he chose to blame them, which to me is immoral.

Did God let his son be sacrificed for something he himself caused or could have prevented? That is awful and immoral

If a person did something similar it would be considered an immoral thing to do, wouldn't you agree?

If one believes in the holy trinity and God, the spirit and Jesus is one, then the sacrifice isn't a big deal, again we are talking about an infinitely powerful God.

I didn't say God was strange, even though I do think that, but I said the idea behind the sacrifice is strange and again if God is as powerful as it is claimed the sacrifice isn't impressive, because none was made.

You might not agree with my opinion which is perfectly fine, but when you answer the questions raised above, which of them do you think I'm wrong about?
a) I won't respond to such nonsense!
b) Your avatar speaks volumes about who you are

Nimos

b) Your avatar speaks volumes about who you are
Besides being completely irrelevant. How on earth does my avatar speak about who I am?

a) I won't respond to such nonsense!
Well, I didn't write the bible and I assume you didn't read it.

So Ill do you a favour and make it easier for you.

Genesis 3:5-7
5 - For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
6 - So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
7 - Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.

So clearly they didn't know right from wrong, before eating from the tree.

This is a bit more tricky to answer because it differs depending on which part of the bible you read. In the beginning, God is clearly not all-knowing or infallible.

Genesis 3:8-9
8 - And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
9 - But the LORD God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?”

If God is all-knowing, then why call out asking where Adam is?

Genesis 6:6-7
6 - And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
7 - So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

Again if God knows all, then he clearly can't regret anything, it would make no sense.

1 John 3:19-20
19 - By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him;
20 - for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

As we move into the NT, this doesn't seem true anymore, suddenly God knows everything. And a lot of people seem to favour this.

So depending on what you believe the question I asked is not nonsense, but it is not easy to answer, especially if you haven't read the bible.

God is said to be able to do anything, I don't think the bible hides that. So the question is perfectly valid to ask. Whether you agree that it is immoral is obviously up to you, but I would be surprised if you could make a sound argument to support it isn't.

Jesus did rise from the dead and surely what he suffered wasn't pleasant, but compare that to what other humans have suffered through, without knowing that they were the son of God. And if these are one and the same, then it isn't a huge deal. It is God we are talking about after all.

This is also a perfectly valid question. According to the bible, what did he sacrifice? And how do you think this can be seen in the world we live in?

So saying my questions are nonsense only speaks about you because as quoted above from the Bible is what you have to relate to. If you disagree with my interpretation, then find verses that contradict them.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That God are 3-in-one, instead of One?
That Jesus DIDN'T die?
That the Penalty God gave Adam and Eve was an Eternity in Hellfire?

(Let me know if you want MORE!)
What constitutes a religion is determined by the beliefs and practices of its members.

All of the positions you listed - and their denials - are accepted by at least some Christian communities, so all of them are Christian.