• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Funny Thing Happened at the Gym...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This reminds me of a time many years ago when I was just out of college. I had been in the U of M karate club and so had begun to work out at the downtown dojo. I was talking with some people after a class and was facing the girls locker room. I did not know that when the door was opened you would see into it. Every changing room that I had previously seen had a jog in the entry way to preserve privacy. Someone opened the door rather quickly. At that moment a girl that I knew rather well was drying her hair and we both saw each other. I was rather young and I think that my jaw dropped a bit. She was laughing at me afterwards but I do not think either of us repeated that. I thought, Oh, not a good line of sight. And she probably had similar thoughts.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I would never ever ever get naked in a public shower or changing rooms
I said that too and then I went to Seoul, Korea, to the public baths, which ARE separated by sex but nothing else. Weirdly, I felt fine in there naked.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So I've finished my gym session and I go back to the changing room to shower and get dressed. The only other person in there is a female cleaner getting on with her job. We exchange pleasantries and then I strip to my shorts and go to take a shower, as she shows no signs of disappearing. When I come out she's still there, cleaning and chatting with me again. At this point I'm quite keen to get dried, get my stuff out of the locker and get dressed. And she carries on chatting with me..... So I take my briefs around the corner to the shower section, put them on and walk back round to the lockers and changing area.... and she's still chatting. I finish drying myself so I can get fully dressed. Still chatting...
Now I realise she has her job to do, but I was feeling rather awkward... Is it me?
Yep.
What was I supposed to do?
Dry yourself and get dressed.
Thoughts? ...
Only in America ... You guys need to loosen up. There's nothing awkward in being naked in the showed or the locker room.

RestlessSoul

So I've finished my gym session and I go back to the changing room to shower and get dressed. The only other person in there is a female cleaner getting on with her job. We exchange pleasantries and then I strip to my shorts and go to take a shower, as she shows no signs of disappearing. When I come out she's still there, cleaning and chatting with me again. At this point I'm quite keen to get dried, get my stuff out of the locker and get dressed. And she carries on chatting with me..... So I take my briefs around the corner to the shower section, put them on and walk back round to the lockers and changing area.... and she's still chatting. I finish drying myself so I can get fully dressed. Still chatting...
Now I realise she has her job to do, but I was feeling rather awkward... Is it me? What was I supposed to do? Thoughts? ...

Thought the punchline was going to be, you realised you were in the ladies changing room…

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Only in America ... You guys need to loosen up. There's nothing awkward in being naked in the showed or the locker room.
Only in the UK? where I am...

I don't feel awkward being naked amongst fellow gym users, who are getting on with their own business. It was the specific matter of her standing there talking to me.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Now I realise she has her job to do, but I was feeling rather awkward... Is it me? What was I supposed to do? Thoughts? ...
As someone who isn't body-shy and never really understood the whole "shouldn't see other people naked" stigma, I find the scenario refreshing.

Had it been me, knowing she must know the reason I'm there, if she didn't have a problem with being there knowing full well I was changing and showering, then neither would I.

In my apartment, I'll change with the blinds open and get into bed with them partially open. If you don't want to see me naked, then don't look in my window. If you do and it rocks your world, by all means, feel free to pull up a chair.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not sure what I might have done or said in this situation - probably not too fussed if she wasn't bothered - but I have two tales to relate.

Once, whilst changing (in a smallish room and with several others) before caving and where I had to be naked - as putting on a swimming costume and wetsuit - there was a young attractive female in our group (teenage daughter of one of the blokes), and where she didn't appear to be averting her eyes so as making it easy for me. And where I did feel a little embarrassed - especially since I think she was the girlfriend of one then and whom she later married.

The second occasion happened on a camping site in Europe (possibly Austria), and where one of the wash sites was out of order so that males and females had to use just one - the men's. I came out of a shower cubicle to find a naked lady at the sinks - with another female. I didn't make it obvious this was unusual and quickly exited and she didn't seem fussed - they don't tend to in much of Europe. Can't remember how or where I got dressed but I wouldn't have come out of the cubicle completely naked, that I can remember. o_O

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Threads like this tend to bring out the

"how silly are you to feel awkward; note that I, for one, am much more mature and sophisticated"

crowd.
I'm not sure if you were referring to what I said here, but just because I don't understand who some people react as they do doesn't mean I think their reaction is silly.

Threads like this also tend to bring out the

"how arrogant you are for expressing your opinion; note that I, for one, don't stoop to that level, but instead snipe posters that do."
crowd.