• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Funny Thing Happened at the Gym...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As someone who isn't body-shy and never really understood the whole "shouldn't see other people naked" stigma, I find the scenario refreshing.

Had it been me, knowing she must know the reason I'm there, if she didn't have a problem with being there knowing full well I was changing and showering, then neither would I.

In my apartment, I'll change with the blinds open and get into bed with them partially open. If you don't want to see me naked, then don't look in my window. If you do and it rocks your world, by all means, feel free to pull up a chair.
But I don't want to see you naked! What happened to the hot chick? I'm calling the cops!!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So I've finished my gym session and I go back to the changing room to shower and get dressed. The only other person in there is a female cleaner getting on with her job. We exchange pleasantries and then I strip to my shorts and go to take a shower, as she shows no signs of disappearing. When I come out she's still there, cleaning and chatting with me again. At this point I'm quite keen to get dried, get my stuff out of the locker and get dressed. And she carries on chatting with me..... So I take my briefs around the corner to the shower section, put them on and walk back round to the lockers and changing area.... and she's still chatting. I finish drying myself so I can get fully dressed. Still chatting...
Now I realise she has her job to do, but I was feeling rather awkward... Is it me? What was I supposed to do? Thoughts? ...

I wouldn't have changed in a public area in the first place, as I simply don't like the idea of having so little privacy or running into someone who could be uncomfortable with the nudity (and I wouldn't be inclined to get nude in that situation either). I have no problem with nudity per se, but only when it is mutually understood as benign and non-sexualized. I wouldn't go naked in an area where I knew some people would be startled or otherwise made uncomfortable by it, for example, nor would I feel comfortable doing so.

As for that specific situation, I would have said, "Could you please give me a minute alone?" although, as I said, I wouldn't have been in that situation anyway because I would have changed my clothes elsewhere.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I wouldn't have changed in a public area in the first place, as I simply don't like the idea of having so little privacy or running into someone who could be uncomfortable with the nudity (and I wouldn't be inclined to get nude in that situation either). I have no problem with nudity per se, but only when it is mutually understood as benign and non-sexualized. I wouldn't go naked in an area where I knew some people would be startled or otherwise made uncomfortable by it, for example, nor would I feel comfortable doing so.

As for that specific situation, I would have said, "Could you please give me a minute alone?" although, as I said, I wouldn't have been in that situation anyway because I would have changed my clothes elsewhere.
You'd not be in this gym then; most of the showers are in a communal area. I was asked for some shampoo the other day!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So I've finished my gym session and I go back to the changing room to shower and get dressed. The only other person in there is a female cleaner getting on with her job. We exchange pleasantries and then I strip to my shorts and go to take a shower, as she shows no signs of disappearing. When I come out she's still there, cleaning and chatting with me again. At this point I'm quite keen to get dried, get my stuff out of the locker and get dressed. And she carries on chatting with me..... So I take my briefs around the corner to the shower section, put them on and walk back round to the lockers and changing area.... and she's still chatting. I finish drying myself so I can get fully dressed. Still chatting...
Now I realise she has her job to do, but I was feeling rather awkward... Is it me? What was I supposed to do? Thoughts? ...
I've had similar experiences in Poland and Quebec, but it really didn't bother me. I'm a long-term "gym rat" who is so used to being in locker rooms that putting clothes on seems strange.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
BTW, I'm a Yooper, and because of our Scandinavian culture such as when we use saunas, wearing clothes is only optional but it does depend on who we are in a sauna with. About 15 years ago, the Marquette area held FinnFest, which was attended by Finns and others from many different countries, and even the beaches then were pretty much bathing suit optional.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I've had similar experiences in Poland and Quebec, but it really didn't bother me. I'm a long-term "gym rat" who is so used to being in locker rooms that putting clothes on seems strange.
I'm perfectly happy cavorting around in the all-together amongst other gym users, it was the cleaner standing there talking to me that I found a bit...strange. I was wondering if she expected me to carry on as if she wasn't there...you know... powdering my nose etc etc...

Alien826

No religious beliefs

I would continue drying, dressing and chatting, then say "I've shown you mine, now you show me yours".

Just kidding. I think.

The following happened to a friend years ago. He was staying at a hotel that had a SPA area. He had finished working out and decided to spend some time in the hot tub. Nobody was around and he went into the tub naked. Two ladies came in, dressed in swim suits, and joined him in the tub. He spent a while wondering what to do and eventually decided he didn't have a choice, so he just got up and walked out. Later he was having a drink in the bar when the same two ladies came in. They saw him, came over, and joined him at his table. They must have liked what they saw.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I'm perfectly happy cavorting around in the all-together amongst other gym users, it was the cleaner standing there talking to me that I found a bit...strange. I was wondering if she expected me to carry on as if she wasn't there...you know... powdering my nose etc etc...
If that is what the cleaner is used to...

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Might be a cultural issue. I’ve been to public baths in Japan and female cleaners come in all the time to tidy up the locker room. Doesn’t phase anyone.
How many conversations has that particular cleaner had that the only one aware of the conversation is the cleaner?

Watchmen

Premium Member
How many conversations has that particular cleaner had that the only one aware of the conversation is the cleaner?
I’m not sure and you don’t know either, and what does that have to do with the potential cultural aspect I referenced???