• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Red Chair, a Purple Couch, and Nothingness: Thoughts on the Problem of God

JayHawes

Jesus said " I am the way the truth and the life, no man gets to the father but by Me"

Joh 10:9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
Mt 7:13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Mt 7:14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Mt 7:15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
________________________________________________________________________________
1ti 2:3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1ti 2:4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth

1ti 2:5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

1ti 2:6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Joh 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If you reject this gift, you condmn your own self.

djackson

What about the current theories of particle physics and multiple universe theory? They lean towards the idea that we/our own soul are the God of our perceptive view of the universe and all in it. We choose our world, our lot in life, the people that surround us, etc. We can even consciously affect how the world treats us on a day to day basis by positive or negative thought (good/evil). There are even Christian theologians that accept this as a scientific physical model that Jesus was trying to explain to the limited world view of the 1st century. Everyone should watch the documentary "What the bleep do we know", a collection of scientists, metaphysicists, and theologists commenting on the new discoveries of unified field theory and how it can apply spiritually in our lives. Quite enlightening.

Chevalier Violet

My experience is very similar but I never thought for a second that I was contacted directly from God. Your soul, also known as guardian angel even though it is not an angel at all, performed your "awakening".

This event was tailored specifically for you to affect you.

Ok, a slightly different perception than mine. Would you elaborate? I'd appreciate it.

To address your questions:
1) Reality does not change whether people perceive it correctly or not. The truth is the truth, one day we will all find it.

My understanding is that philosophers of science distinguish between reality and truth in the following way.

Reality is what is, reality is the nature of the universe. Even if that nature is complicated (ie multi-dimensional, or not law-driven), there is only one ultimate reality.

Truth is a matter of how well abstract ideas, metaphors, and words align with ultimate reality. Another quality of truth is that it has to be "bite-sized" or "useful". Often in history of science we believe a historical figure has made a mistake in calculation until we realize that this person is simply using a word differently. This is an example of how, with changes in culture, a statement, which does not change over time, can become "untrue" by being charged with a different meaning.

For this reason, I have argued that even if there is an ultimate reality, there is no ultimate truth, because the metaphors we use to understand that reality are subject to change as culture changes. This is a subtle point and not immediately intuitive.

But you're correct that ultimate reality doesn't change.

2) People look for things that justify what they WANT to believe. Some take to fire and brimstone religion because feeling that others are on the wrong path makes them feel better about themselves.

Yeah, even though I can't ask people to stop looking for things to justify what they believe... I think this is a healthy search actually... I am asking people to try to expand their perception to include perception of other "Gods". We need a more cooperative and skeptical effort from everybody, in order to study this phenomenon.

God is the Christian God, Allah, Great Mystery, Zeus... But I agree that He isn't in the most strict description of each though. Aphrodite was always considered to be a lesser god.

For me (and Baha'i) the monotheistic religions are similar enough. It is when we start looking at polytheistic and pantheistic visions of God that we start feeling like everybody is crazy.

Athiests are simply being who they are. They need proof to believe. Here on the earth we are covered in a veil of self. God does not punish us for anything we believe or do here because of this veil. It is like all of us are perfect abiding children of God but we are playing a video game acting as a character.

Proof. Check out my posts near the end of the "Can religion be logical" thread about proof. As for evidence, of course atheists need evidence. I think it's pretty ridiculous the notion that if we don't believe in God without a personal encounter with that God, that we will be punished. Besides, I believe we are all going to heaven, if anywhere.

I do believe that we should all seek to expand our own personal experience.

djackson

If you were inquiring of my post... the philosophy goes like this. Particle physics allows for multiple realities, all inter-weaving with each other. Like the principle of not being able to know the exact state of an atom's particles without observing them, likewise our lives are undetermined until will is forced upon it. There is evidence to suggest that will comes from us, that we choose our own 'destiny' or direction of life and the consequences we reap from those choices. This is much like free will of most Christian beliefs, or karmic destiny of Buddhism. What makes us the god of those multiple realities is our center in the physical reality of the universe. It can be that we, our soul, our life in it's entirety is just an interactive recording that is being played out, and that the god is us, we chose/are choosing this existence for whatever lessons or spiritual reasoning we put into effect, not unlike a row of dominoes. This is the simple version.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As for why we should give claims of the existence of God more credence than claims of mermaids, I agree this is not a self-evident point to grasp. If I had to explain it in one sentence, I would say we should listen to this claim because over a billion people in the world perceive God.
Your wordplay is becoming tiresome, as is your distortion of scientific method. Please feel free to PM me should you ever attempt to provide evidence that "over a billion people in the world perceive God". Until then, have fun preaching to the choir.

Rolling_Stone

In one of my darkest moments, I swore to the heavens and whatever intelligences inhabit them that I would no longer accept the material universe as a viable aspect of reality. Since then, I’ve grown to wonder if the oath was born of an unconscious understanding that the only reality is the oneness that we call “God.” Whatever and however mind perceives or misperceives, it transpires in the indivisible One and we have no existence apart from the Whole. Gradually, I am awakening to the realization that I am, am not, and yet I am, THAT which is in all things.

For all its eloquence, what you wrote in your opening posts, Chevalier, is based in the assumption that dualism and the understanding derived from it are real. It is a kind of delusion induced by misperception, and what we perceive attests to our relationship with the One. Your intelligence has being; God is being. No matter how careful your logic, no matter how profound your knowledge and understanding, God’s presence will elude you so long as satisfying the mind’s thirst has precedence over finding your home in the One. You must unlearn the perceived duality.

PureX

Veteran Member
My understanding is that philosophers of science distinguish between reality and truth in the following way.

Reality is what is, reality is the nature of the universe. Even if that nature is complicated (ie multi-dimensional, or not law-driven), there is only one ultimate reality.

Truth is a matter of how well abstract ideas, metaphors, and words align with ultimate reality. Another quality of truth is that it has to be "bite-sized" or "useful". Often in history of science we believe a historical figure has made a mistake in calculation until we realize that this person is simply using a word differently. This is an example of how, with changes in culture, a statement, which does not change over time, can become "untrue" by being charged with a different meaning.

For this reason, I have argued that even if there is an ultimate reality, there is no ultimate truth, because the metaphors we use to understand that reality are subject to change as culture changes. This is a subtle point and not immediately intuitive.

But you're correct that ultimate reality doesn't change.
I think we need to clarify this somewhat. The "truth" is what is. Reality is what is. Therefor, reality is the truth. But we humans cannot perceive reality fully, or as a singularly complete whole; we can only perceive reality in a limited way, and from a relative perspective. Thus, the truth of reality becomes for us, a matter of 'relative truthfulness' rather than a matter of absolute truth. And absolute truth, for us, becomes an ideal that we can imagine, but that we cannot actually experience except as an idea, or perhaps as a fantasy.

This does not mean that there is no absolute truth, although it does mean that asking the question is a bit silly and pointless. Statements about absolute truth and ultimate reality are inevitably going to be somewhat disingenuous coming from us, as we never had the ability to experience these ideals, except as ideals and imagined conditions.

However, does this mean these ideas and fantasies and this discussion is silly and pointless? I certainly don't think so. Millions of people have been hugely effected by their experiences with such ideals and fantasies. To many of them, these are more real that reality itself. And I can't just write all these people off as "unscientific", and therefor crazy. I am an artist, and I am certain that there are ways of experiencing and understanding reality besides the scientific method, or pure logic and reason. Imagination is a very important tool, so is intuition, so is fantasy, so is chance. And I see nothing at all wrong with exploring these other tools and methods of understanding and experiencing the mysteries of existence.

BUT, I think we err greatly if in so doing we throw away logic and reason, and the honest attempt as recognizing our own bias.

Chevalier Violet

What about the current theories of particle physics and multiple universe theory? They lean towards the idea that we/our own soul are the God of our perceptive view of the universe and all in it. We choose our world, our lot in life, the people that surround us, etc. We can even consciously affect how the world treats us on a day to day basis by positive or negative thought (good/evil). There are even Christian theologians that accept this as a scientific physical model that Jesus was trying to explain to the limited world view of the 1st century. Everyone should watch the documentary "What the bleep do we know", a collection of scientists, metaphysicists, and theologists commenting on the new discoveries of unified field theory and how it can apply spiritually in our lives. Quite enlightening.

What about them?

I'm not really sure how this notion applies to the problem of God. At best, what you are saying is another perceived content of the room - instead of a chair you see a desk. Instead of God, you see, well I don't really know.

Personally, I enjoyed that movie. I don't like determinism, it disgusts me, so I was a fan.

If you were inquiring of my post... the philosophy goes like this. Particle physics allows for multiple realities, all inter-weaving with each other. Like the principle of not being able to know the exact state of an atom's particles without observing them, likewise our lives are undetermined until will is forced upon it. There is evidence to suggest that will comes from us, that we choose our own 'destiny' or direction of life and the consequences we reap from those choices. This is much like free will of most Christian beliefs, or karmic destiny of Buddhism. What makes us the god of those multiple realities is our center in the physical reality of the universe. It can be that we, our soul, our life in it's entirety is just an interactive recording that is being played out, and that the god is us, we chose/are choosing this existence for whatever lessons or spiritual reasoning we put into effect, not unlike a row of dominoes. This is the simple version.

I like that. I like the way the way the movie (and you just now) presented and explained the idea of choice.

Your wordplay is becoming tiresome, as is your distortion of scientific method. Please feel free to PM me should you ever attempt to provide evidence that "over a billion people in the world perceive God". Until then, have fun preaching to the choir.

You have given evidence over and over again that you are entirely unfamiliar with modern philosophy of science. I think you should read up on the thing I supposedly am distorting. What you will find out is that not even mechanical physicists really use the scientific method. But of course you don't know that, so it is I who is distorting it.

You say my vision of God is a delusion, I say your vision of science is a delusion.

You know what, I mentioned in my post that I would not respond substantively to sarcastic posts, and I intend to keep to that. Post what you just said, except without the rudeness and the sarcasm, then a real response may be worth my while.

I don't see any of this evidence you keep asking me for. And whenever I offer a personal vision of God to you, you wisely decline.

All I see is wordplay. I am tired of words, they are not even worth the electricity it takes to hold them on the screen. If you do not want personal experience of things, no problem. Simply go somewhere else.

Mayhaps a billion people claim to FOLLOW a god, but I sincerely doubt they PERCEIVE what god is.

Fair enough. I agree a billion is an overestimate for people alive today (although people today perceive God at a much higher rate than in times past). I meant my figure to be cumulative throughout human history, that's my mistake.

How many people in the past ten thousand years would you estimate have seen a vision of God? I really don't know, over a billion is just an estimate.

That said, almost every theist I have ever talked to has had a personal encounter with God. By multiplication, that makes the number well over a billion alive today, without any need to delve into the past. But I agree this number seems high to me.

This is just an estimate though, I am curious for any counter argument you could offer.

One thing though. And I really need your attention on this one point. How many people does it take to see this thing, before we start to take it seriously?

Before we start estimating how many people have seen it, I want to know if having this conversation has any point as far I'm concerned. I think if over a million people alive today have seen the same thing, we should take this seriously. I think a million people who have had a vision of God, alive today, is a generous, generous, underestimate. Off the top of my head, I know 10 people... and that's not something I ask people and I don't know many theists.

In one of my darkest moments, I swore to the heavens and whatever intelligences inhabit them that I would no longer accept the material universe as a viable aspect of reality. Since then, I’ve grown to wonder if the oath was born of an unconscious understanding that the only reality is the oneness that we call “God.” Whatever and however mind perceives or misperceives, it transpires in the indivisible One and we have no existence apart from the Whole. Gradually, I am awakening to the realization that I am, am not, and yet I am, THAT which is in all things.

Sweet worldview man. And, moreover, I love how it makes God what is real, and material things what is false - a complete inversal of a materialistic worldview.

Also, I love being divine :)

For all its eloquence, what you wrote in your opening posts, Chevalier, is based in the assumption that dualism and the understanding derived from it are real.

I think I know what you mean. What I like about you, is that you can criticize what I say, and I still love it hahaha.

Seriously man, if I hadn't already given you lots of frubals, I'd give you some more :(

I think we can agree that you're talking about pantheism or panentheism. As I said in my post, I am a pantheist and panentheist as well. Because I have managed to expand my perception, I have gotten to the point where different worldviews are like different tinted lenses to me.

I can perceive God pantheistically, and then panentheistically, and then as a Christian. To use my analogy, I have learned how to see a red chair, and a purple couch.

I am aware that my analogy isn't very friendly to pantheists, and I think this is one of your reactions to my post. Namely, the act of looking into a room means you are separate from the perceived object. Please accept my apology that I didn't mean for the duality of perceiver and perceived to be part of the metaphor.

For me, the analogy was simply a way of expressing the fact that God is a different experience for different people: for those who believe in a deity, experience with God could be described as an interaction, for pantheists a participation - or even a perception that all is divine. Polytheists interact with several different deities. For the atheists, nothing is there.

The analogy is meant to underline the fact that people quite literally have different experiences with one word: God. Just as if people saw a different thing in the same room.

I think that we do not disagree, but it is just a question of understanding the precise meaning of my analogy.

It is a kind of delusion induced by misperception, and what we perceive attests to our relationship with the One. Your intelligence has being; God is being. No matter how careful your logic, no matter how profound your knowledge and understanding, God’s presence will elude you so long as satisfying the mind’s thirst has precedence over finding your home in the One. You must unlearn the perceived duality.

I am capable of being part of a pantheistic God, but I am also capable of perceiving a God that is entirely exterior to myself (very difficult to explain). It all depends what "lenses" I'm wearing - and that probably doesn't make a ton of sense to you. I don't know, it depends what you are already capable of perceiving.

I suspect part of your argument is a "this is what I see, therefore that's what is there." Personally, I am wary of arguments like this, because I think the Christians and the atheists make the exact same argument. That is why this problem of God exists in the first place.

I hope this makes sense, and I don't mean for anything here to be a criticism of your beliefs, and I think they can easily and happily be included in the analogy I have provided, if properly understood.

I look forward to your thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Rolling_Stone

I am tired of words, they are not even worth the electricity it takes to hold them on the screen. If you do not want personal experience of things, no problem. Simply go somewhere else.
Marvelous! Absolutely marvelous!
Sweet worldview man. And, moreover, I love how it makes God what is real, and material things what is false - a complete inversal of a materialistic worldview.

Also, I love being divine :)
Don't get too worked up about it. ;) God is everything, but not everything is God. The qualities of mind that that identify with the material (dualistic) universe isn't divine. Your divinity is proportional to the quality of your identity with the One.

I think we can agree that you're talking about pantheism or panentheism. As I said in my post, I am a pantheist and panentheist as well. Because I have managed to expand my perception, I have gotten to the point where different worldviews are like different tinted lenses to me.
Pantheism equates the material universe with God and panentheism is usually associated with the idea that the material universe is the evolving body of God, who is more than the sum of its parts. I'm more of a Berkeley idealist, a "Matter does not exist" kind of guy. Consciousness is the action of Being's self-reflection; mind induces dualism.

I can perceive God pantheistically, and then panentheistically, and then as a Christian. To use my analogy, I have learned how to see a red chair, and a purple couch.
I totally understand what you mean, but I'm working to remove lenses altogether. Problem is, I haven't learned how to function in the world without them.

I am aware that my analogy isn't very friendly to pantheists, and I think this is one of your reactions to my post. Namely, the act of looking into a room means you are separate from the perceived object. Please accept my apology that I didn't mean for the duality of perceiver and perceived to be part of the metaphor.
It sure wasn't unfriendly. :flirt:
For me, the analogy was simply a way of expressing the fact that God is a different experience for different people: for those who believe in a deity, experience with God could be described as an interaction, for pantheists a participation - or even a perception that all is divine. Polytheists interact with several different deities. For the atheists, nothing is there.

The analogy is meant to underline the fact that people quite literally have different experiences with one word: God. Just as if people saw a different thing in the same room.
Oh, so very true. Maybe we should give conceptual interpretations the boot.
I suspect part of your argument is a "this is what I see, therefore that's what is there."
No, but I understand why you would think this is the case. Consider this: "self" is a localized region of dominant characteristics. The monistic game is to get past the habit of thinking and perceiving as though boundaries actually exist.
I hope this makes sense, and I don't mean for anything here to be a criticism of your beliefs, and I think they can easily and happily be included in the analogy I have provided, if properly understood.
I don't mind you being critical, but I still don't see how the analogy applies. "A red chair, purple couch and nothingness" all imply conceptual interpretations of a duality I don't believe in. God is; I "is": God is abstract; "I" is specific.

Rolling_Stone

Fine. But recognise that you're just choosing for yourself and only for yourself, because you also haven't demonstrated why your vision of science deserves more credence than visions of God. And therefore, it's not simple. It's not simple until you can hold up your end.
He can't hold up his end, as you so aptly put it, without being closed-minded and dogmatic.

Chevalier Violet

He can't hold up his end, as you so aptly put it, without being closed-minded and dogmatic.

I don't mean this as a continued rub against Jay. I am just curious what evidence there is... or even reason for believing... that many people or most people who believe in God have never had a vision of God.

I think that would be an interesting discussion. Note that often children are brought to Church by their parents. I am speaking here about adults who, for instance, who have a relationship with a God, however defined, that they believe in.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't mean this as a continued rub against Jay. I am just curious what evidence there is... or even reason for believing... that many people or most people who believe in God have never had a vision of God.
On the one hand, you persistently fail to offer any means whatsoever to distinguish between vision and delusion. On the other, there is abundant evidence that humans are susceptible to delusion. So, for example, ...
Experiments conducted by Barbara Tversky and Elizabeth Marsh corroborate the vulnerability of human memory to bias.7 In one group of studies, participants were given the "Roommate Story," a description of incidents involving his or her two fictitious roommates. The incidents were categorized as annoying, neutral, or socially "cool." Later, participants were asked to neutrally recount the incidents with one roommate, to write a letter of recommendation for one roommate’s application to a fraternity or sorority, or to write a letter to the office of student housing requesting the removal of one of the roommates. When later asked to recount the original story, participants who had written biased letters recalled more of the annoying or "cool" incidents associated with their letters. They also included more elaborations consistent with their bias. These participants made judgements based upon the annoying or social events they discussed in their letters. Neutral participants made few elaborations, and they also made fewer errors in their retelling, such as attributing events to the wrong roommate. The study also showed that participants writing biased letters recalled more biased information for the character they wrote about, whereas the other roommate was viewed neutrally.

Memory is affected by retelling, and we rarely tell a story in a neutral fashion. By tailoring our stories to our listeners, our bias distorts the very formation of memory—even without the introduction of misinformation by a third party. The protections of the judicial system against prosecutors and police "assisting" a witness’ memory may not sufficiently ensure the accuracy of those memories. Even though prosecutors refrain from "refreshing" witness A’s memory by showing her witness B’s testimony, the mere act of telling prosecutors what happened may bias and distort the witness’s memory. Eyewitness testimony, then, is innately suspect. [source]​
Is this proof that no one has ever had a vision of God? Absolutely not. But there is, indeed, abundant evidence that these vision should be held "innately suspect" -- which, by the way, is precisely why you so readily discount past visions of Faeries and Mermaids.

Rolling_Stone

Seems to me, Jay, you are confusing the radio for the information broadcasted over the airwaves but your bias won't allow you to see it...or even what it means.

Rolling_Stone

Yes, I'm sure it seems that way to you.
Question:
Can we abstract one thing from another or conceive as separate those qualities (things) that do not exist so separated and then expect that our understanding to be anything more than an illusion? Part 2 of the question is this: What qualities of existence, or things, exist separately and apart from everything else?

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Whereas I can't think of anyone who perceives mermaids, and even if we produced a few who did, we could easily and simply dismiss such a small number as insane.

This is a contradiction to your whole premise, I think.

I find most of your post agreeable except that you would have people accept that the quantity of believers are any good indication of truth. Even if 6 billion people think there is such a place as Australia, it doesn't make them (us) right. Since we are all so often deluded about a great many things, I think that the most logical position is to not make assertions about God. Both Theists and Strong-Atheists make assertions. As for myself, I will believe there is a chair when I trip over it, but, until then, I'll walk my merry path.

Chevalier Violet

Australia is intersubjectively verifiable.

So are visions of God. That's the whole point. Visions of God are intersubjectively verifiable (a million alive today is a generous, generous underestimate). Mermaids are not verifiable in this way.

On the one hand, you persistently fail to offer any means whatsoever to distinguish between vision and delusion.

lol, I don't see anything in this post I disagree with. I think we are finally coming around to the same point of view.

All I would add is that there is no means to distinguish whether or not the chair I'm sitting on, or the screen I'm looking at is a delusion, or if they are based in reality.

More on "innately suspect" in a minute (FYI I agree with you). Let's clear up some business first.

"""Please resist the urge to accuse me of saying I know what this vision of God is. I do not.[/quote]Please make sure you do not give in to temptation on this point."""

I don't know if you already have or you ever did - I just want that point to be clear.

Another point: I have used the word vision with a rather subtle shade, with needs some explanation.

If you consult the dictionary definition of vision, one of its potential definitions is "hallucination." Another of its potential definitions is "seeing something real."

So you see, I don't distinguish between vision and delusion because there is no difference, they can potentially mean the exact same thing. I will deal with what makes this "vision of God" epistemically interesting below.

For now, let's be clear that I really and truly don't know if there's anything behind this vision of God. That's why I choose to refer to them as visions of God, because it is a way of talking about what we perceive that everyone can agree on. The atheists use the word vision to mean "delusion" and the theists use the word to mean "something really perceived."

I don't know for certain who is right, and neither does anyone else.

Everyone can agree that *a lot of people* see whatever this thing is, delusion or real.

The point is, every time you say "vision of God could be a delusion," I say, "I just said that."

Every time you say "a vision of God IS a delusion" I say, "I don't know and neither do you."

On the other, there is abundant evidence that humans are susceptible to delusion.
I just said that. :)

So, for example, ...
Experiments conducted by Barbara Tversky and Elizabeth Marsh corroborate the vulnerability of human memory to bias.7 In one group of studies, participants were given the "Roommate Story," a description of incidents involving his or her two fictitious roommates. The incidents were categorized as annoying, neutral, or socially "cool." Later, participants were asked to neutrally recount the incidents with one roommate, to write a letter of recommendation for one roommate’s application to a fraternity or sorority, or to write a letter to the office of student housing requesting the removal of one of the roommates. When later asked to recount the original story, participants who had written biased letters recalled more of the annoying or "cool" incidents associated with their letters. They also included more elaborations consistent with their bias. These participants made judgements based upon the annoying or social events they discussed in their letters. Neutral participants made few elaborations, and they also made fewer errors in their retelling, such as attributing events to the wrong roommate. The study also showed that participants writing biased letters recalled more biased information for the character they wrote about, whereas the other roommate was viewed neutrally.

Memory is affected by retelling, and we rarely tell a story in a neutral fashion. By tailoring our stories to our listeners, our bias distorts the very formation of memory—even without the introduction of misinformation by a third party. The protections of the judicial system against prosecutors and police "assisting" a witness’ memory may not sufficiently ensure the accuracy of those memories. Even though prosecutors refrain from "refreshing" witness A’s memory by showing her witness B’s testimony, the mere act of telling prosecutors what happened may bias and distort the witness’s memory. Eyewitness testimony, then, is innately suspect. [source]
I am familiar with this research. It's pretty cool (and scary) isn't it?
Is this proof that no one has ever had a vision of God? Absolutely not.
Please note the subtle use of my words "vision of God." I estimate that millions of people have had a "vision of God", but the thing that is lacking is any proof that these visions have any real substance.

Please distinguish in your mind between the question of whether or not one perceives something and the question of whether or not that perception is real.

I have a vision of a Paris mug right now. Nobody disputes that perception. What people could dispute is its basis in reality.

There is no reason we should disagree on this point. If we disagree, I believe it is a problem of wording, not ideas.

But there is, indeed, abundant evidence that these vision should be held "innately suspect" -- which, by the way, is precisely why you so readily discount past visions of Faeries and Mermaids.
I've got a surprise for you. Are you ready for it?

I agree completely!! :)

I just believe that visions of mugs should be innately suspect as well. But I believe a vision of God is more suspect. But then a vision of a mermaid is way, way, way more suspect than a vision of God. The reason is simple: reproducibility.

But, it is quite evident that a perception of God is very different from a perception of my Paris mug. For instance, we can both see my Paris mug in the same way at the exact same time. It is not immediately evident why with God we cannot.

On the other hand, the reason that many many people have more or less the same vision is not immediately evident either. There are not nearly so many reports of any other type of immaterial perception: ghosts, aliens, mermaids, fairies, Loch Ness... God is number one by a very, very, very large margin.

The atheists say that one sees what one expects or wants to see. But on the other hand, most theists have reasons for believing that atheists don't know.

In short, this is why my post refers to the "problem of God." Because epistemologically, this question is unique.

I believe the only way to "investigate" is for a lot of people to realize that we must all expand our perception. It is not immediately apparent why one would choose to do so, because from all perspectives, the "content of the room" is self-evident, and not in need of investigation. I am asking people have a slightly skeptical attitude toward what they themselves perceive (or don't perceive), which is asking a lot, I agree.

CV

Chevalier Violet

This is a contradiction to your whole premise, I think.

I find most of your post agreeable except that you would have people accept that the quantity of believers are any good indication of truth. Even if 6 billion people think there is such a place as Australia, it doesn't make them (us) right.

Absolutely. This is a good point. People perceiving it doesn't make it true. I hope I made that clear in my post, or mentioned it somewhere. In any case, this is true.

All I am saying is that we can believe a vision of God is true for the same reason we believe Australia exists, that is, that people verify its existence with their own experience. My workmate can come in here and verify the existence of my Paris mug.

Now with God, some people see God and some don't. That is why it is a "problem."

On the other hand, unlike the mug, you wouldn't need to fly to Chicago to verify it. You can verify a vision of God anytime, anywhere. Which is why I believe asking people to expand their perception is not a very demanding thing to ask.

35 minutes over the course of one week.

Since we are all so often deluded about a great many things, I think that the most logical position is to not make assertions about God. Both Theists and Strong-Atheists make assertions. As for myself, I will believe there is a chair when I trip over it, but, until then, I'll walk my merry path.

Personally I would classify that as an assertion about God.

By your definition, I don't think people should make assertions about the existence of Paris mugs or Australia either (mermaids are even worse). I think we agree on this point. It is the lack of humility that bothers me.

As for why you should try to expand your perception, I would just say that it would help my experiments, and I would really appreciate it.

Humbly yours,
CV