• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

abiogenesis

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think I may be a bit more of a geek, because their feign of ignorance crossed it right away for me.

...though, seeing as I call myself a nerd, but I dare to be unfamiliar with Dr. Who, I guess I can't say anything. :shrug:

I smell a challenge. I can quote the Silmarillion verbatim from some notable parts, like Fingolfin's duel at the gates of Thangorodrim and Beren cutting a Silmaril from the Iron Crown.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I smell a challenge. I can quote the Silmarillion verbatim from some notable parts, like Fingolfin's duel at the gates of Thangorodrim and Beren cutting a Silmaril from the Iron Crown.

I actually have a confession. I've only read the first couple of chapters of the Silmarillion. :eek: (Well, and Beren and Luthien.)

dedicated

Man created man using materials which god put here in the universe, who created the universe? Who created it from nothingness? Also in what way does this relate to creationists at all or even the belief in god? Creationism is an arguement agaist evolution, this is not an evolutoin post at all, and when you still must start using already living things it is not creating life.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I actually have a confession. I've only read the first couple of chapters of the Silmarillion. :eek: (Well, and Beren and Luthien.)

Oh snap, I guess that makes me the Tolkien queen by default. :yes: :drool:

In seriousness though, you should read it. The Silmarillion is greater than Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit combined by as much margin as Lord of the Rings is greater than Twilight.

I'm not by any means putting LotR in the same scope as that Twilight nonsense, but I'm saying the Silmarillion is that awesome that it eclipses even LotR by that much.

Epic fairy tales, fierce romances, fiercer battles that ring with heraldic fury -- it's overwhelming! It makes Aragorn and Arwen seem like a Disney cartoon, but you already know that if you've read the ley of Beren and Luthien. But you're missing the tragic heroism of Turin Turambar, and the other sons of Hurin. You're missing the first kinslaying when Feanor betrays his brother and his people. You're missing the near-victory of the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, when the first alliance of men, dwarves and elves almost triumphed over the forces of Morgoth if it weren't for the treachery of men... and if you think Sauron is a bad guy, he's nothing compared to Morgoth. He's "but a shadow of [Morgoth's] evil and a ghost of his malice, less evil only in that long he served another rather than himself."

Morgoth's ring was Arda itself, the entire world... all Sauron could do was fill his essence in a small loop of gold :p

Edit: Oh and let's not forget you're missing the entire Akallabeth, Numenor's rise to glory and hubris and defeat at the hands of Sauron's trickery, bringing the wrath of Iluvatar himself on the land. DUDE! Read the Silmarillion!

Last edited:

ellenjanuary

Venter hinted at using the synthetic cells to clean up oil spills when he first revealed his discovery, but lately he seems to be interested in applying the technology to algae-based fuel. Apparently Exxon has expressed interest and pledged a potential 600 million in cooperation with Venter's company (Synthetic Genomics Inc.) to pursue such a project. Some biochemists, like Jay Keasling, remain less optimistic than Venter concerning how quickly such goals will be achieved, but that it is still likely to occur (in fact Keasling just published a paper in Science last week on this very subject).
Seems that Arizona is perfect for growing this algae. If it goes all stupor-blob and starts eating the natives, I'll let you know. ;)

CyraEm

I'm not a Creationist, but I had to throw my two cents in. I don't see how this in any way proves wrong the idea of a divine creator, nor the theory of Creationsim. I don't think God exclusively having the power to create life is even part of the Creationist theory. I've literally never heard that before this thread. In fact, I'm not sure that's even in the Bible.

outhouse

Atheistically
I'm not a Creationist, but I had to throw my two cents in. I don't see how this in any way proves wrong the idea of a divine creator, nor the theory of Creationsim. I don't think God exclusively having the power to create life is even part of the Creationist theory. I've literally never heard that before this thread. In fact, I'm not sure that's even in the Bible.

Are you lost?

creation is the bible, try reading genesis.

CyraEm

Yes, I've read Genesis. But where does it say that God is the only being capable of creating life? It says he did create life, but it doesn't say he alone has the power.

outhouse

Atheistically
Yes, I've read Genesis. But where does it say that God is the only being capable of creating life? It says he did create life, but it doesn't say he alone has the power.

I understand this, the bible contradicts itself in this very matter.

Sadly the world views it differently.

ellenjanuary

Your are reading the wrong Bible. Mine says things like beware of false prophets, he who speaks of prophecy not in my name is a false prophet; and false prophets must be stoned. That is the action clearly required by the Bible on the issue of Creationists - kill 'em.

Why don't I go kill 'em then? The possibility has yet to be entirely excluded; but what I found in the general sense is that statements starting with "I believe" actually express the notion of "I follow;" meaning that all of these people speaking out of the side of their neck do so at the instigation of their minister-type or peer group - no god need apply.

Oberon

Oh snap, I guess that makes me the Tolkien queen by default. :yes: :drool:

I don't know...in addition to reading Tolkein's works on middle earth, I read the monsters and the critics, his essay on ancrene wisse, some other works (I own sisam's middle english reader with tolkein's vocab list), and I am a regular reader of the journal Tolkein Studies. Hell, the only reason I studied old and middle english, and old norse, was because of Tolkein. Can I be queen?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I don't know...in addition to reading Tolkein's works on middle earth, I read the monsters and the critics, his essay on ancrene wisse, some other works (I own sisam's middle english reader with tolkein's vocab list), and I am a regular reader of the journal Tolkein Studies. Hell, the only reason I studied old and middle english, and old norse, was because of Tolkein. Can I be queen?

Hmm, I haven't done all that. I suppose you can be the queen as long as I still get to be princess, and you wear a pink tutu.