• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion: can a mother hurt the embryo?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Which is irrelevant because you support abortion independently if the fetus is a person or not ....right?

What a woman does with her body and with the fetus is none of your bussiness right?

So under what bases do you reject her right to mutilate the fetus ?

O wait i forgot you dont answer questions .....
No, you did not answer my question fully. You only answered half of it.

But I did notice in your fantasy world that you would just shoot the fetus. Or that was how you answered an earlier post of mine.

PearlSeeker

I find it perplexing that everybody accepts that a baby that was born premature at 25 weeks is a person with rights who deserves to live.

But if that same being is geografically located inside the womb then "magically" and for no reason , he is a "non person".
Exactly. Prematurely born fetus connected to machines is a person and can't be killed but unborn fetus of the same age connected to mother is not a person and can be killed. :facepalm:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Exactly. Prematurely born fetus connected to machines is a person and can't be killed but unborn fetus of the same age connected to mother is not a person and can be killed. :facepalm:
And arguing using the not very common exceptions is not proper either. When it comes to those sorts of abortions they are very rare and usually done due to serious health concerns for the pregnant women. Or sometimes the fetus is doomed to death by a severe birth defect. A Louisiana woman has to Leave Louisiana since her fetus, without a skull, cannot be aborted any longer by the new state law. The fetus will die shortly after birth. It is rather cruel to force a woman to continue a pregnancy knowing that when she is given her baby that it will very soon die a painful death.

I thought my mouse was going to be here today, I was off by one on the delivery. Search Louisiana Fatal Fetal Defect Abortion and you should be able to see hat story. There are almost no late term abortions done for convenience.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can a mother hurt an embryo?
Embryos are exquisitely delicate structures. Almost anything can hurt an embryo.

PearlSeeker

And arguing using the not very common exceptions is not proper either. When it comes to those sorts of abortions they are very rare and usually done due to serious health concerns for the pregnant women. Or sometimes the fetus is doomed to death by a severe birth defect. A Louisiana woman has to Leave Louisiana since her fetus, without a skull, cannot be aborted any longer by the new state law. The fetus will die shortly after birth. It is rather cruel to force a woman to continue a pregnancy knowing that when she is given her baby that it will very soon die a painful death.

I thought my mouse was going to be here today, I was off by one on the delivery. Search Louisiana Fatal Fetal Defect Abortion and you should be able to see hat story. There are almost no late term abortions done for convenience.
Still, the point holds. A person is a person.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
It is true, what you say.

That's odd, I made the same point, that a baby is biologically independent in a way a foetus is not, and all I got was trolling about a word definition? Hey ho...

But the issue that precipitated the question was when is the child in the womb officially a child.

Ordinarily I'd suggest referencing a dictionary, but you seem to have some weird antipathy using them.

Whether fed by one or many, the baby isn't independent before or after.

Only if you ignore the context here, and assume independent is an absolute, which of course would make the word meaningless as no one would be absolutely independent of anything. Are you independent? Grown your own food then, make your own clothes, generate your own power, built your own house, never received medical care or had a job etc etc etc..:rolleyes:

The baby inside is still influenced by what the mother goes through. What she intakes, her emotions, her laughter, it all is taken in by the baby.

it's not a baby, and it is topologically connected, and shares the woman's immune system, and her metabolism, and gets its oxygen and nutrition directly from the woman's blood, a baby is independent of all that, just like other all other human beings, from babies through infants children and adults. One might even infer something has occurred, like oh I don't know, child birth, to sever that connection and cause this change. :rolleyes:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Well, this is what it looks like when someone backpedaled after the realization of wrong logic.

I'm glad you realized your error.

Ah, more vapid trolling, care to quote the error, or me acknowledging any, or back-pedalling at all from my original claim? I'm guessing we will get the same reticence when I asked you to quote a straw man fallacy you claimed I'd used, and for the same reason. Tell us again about digging a pit of your own making deeper. :facepalm:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Still, the point holds. A person is a person.

While a blastocyst is not, correct.

Blastocyst

280px-Embryo%2C_8_cells.jpg

person

getty_481292845_77896.jpg

See the difference?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
And you are back t personal insults. You can do better than this.

The fact that you cannot argue properly is very relevant. It tells us that you know that you do not have a valid case. All you have are emotions. Emotions are fine, in their place. They do not apply when you are trying to decide whether you are going to ruin a young woman's life or not.
Actually it is the other way around.

Kenny

Premium Member
I find it perplexing that everybody accepts that a baby that was born premature at 25 weeks is a person with rights who deserves to live.

But if that same being is geografically located inside the womb then "magically" and for no reason , he is a "non person".
Logical, empirical and verifiable.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sheldon said:
In the womb there are no babies. They're either a blastocyst or a foetus. They are not an independent of the woman's body.

Independent
noun
  1. an independent person or body.
Ahhhhhh.... :) an intellectual answer with no basis of logic. Because you say so, it is written, it is true. :rolleyes:

Quoting the dictionary is irrational to you? That explains a lot.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Subduction Zone said:
Why do you call a fetus, embryo, or blastosphere a child or baby? It appears that you know that you have no argument if you use proper terminology. No one is stuffing babies or children into uteruses so that they can kill them.
I knew you would appear. :) You have that knack to bring irrelevancy into the picture as you miss the subject completely.

hint: you might want to go back and look at the context :)

He said ignoring the topic completely and resorting yet again to broad ad hominem. Note you offer no explanation of why his post about the definitions of blastocysts and foetuses as opposed to babies children and infants is off topic exactly. You are the one ignoring context, as you have done here again.
But I do give you a "10" on supporting those of like mind. You are a good friend.

Ah ad hominem fallacy, how many is that now, while laughably telling everyone who dares disagree that they are ignoring the context of the thread.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

Not hard really is it, now try hard and see if you notice the difference. Lets try an analogy, I'm not really a fan, but theist seem to love these.

Someone stops you in the street, and forcibly cuts your hair, to use the hair to make wigs. Now that's assault right? They had no right take away your bodily autonomy without your consent.

Now you cut your hair and give the hair to someone to make wigs. See the hair has not really changed, but how you can treat it when it's part of someone's body differs legally and morally to how you can treat it when it is not, odd that?

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
He said ignoring the topic completely and resorting yet again to broad ad hominem. Note you offer no explanation of why his post about the definitions of blastocysts and foetuses as opposed to babies children and infants is off topic exactly. You are the one ignoring context, as you have done here again.

Ah ad hominem fallacy, how many is that now, while laughably telling everyone who dares disagree that they are ignoring the context of the thread.
When you don't have a leg to stand on...

create a new leg.