• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion is never justifiable, even in rape cases

AmbiguousGuy

Well, if US soldiers were to succeed in coming to my house and killing me and and every other clump of cells living with me, I'd be okay with it.

Well if you lobby to change our laws, allowing the government to define walking and talking people as 'clumps of cells' and allowing the termination of all clumps of cells... I'll oppose you.

Sonofason

Well if you lobby to change our laws, allowing the government to define walking and talking people as 'clumps of cells' and allowing the termination of all clumps of cells... I'll oppose you.

The government already allows such terminations. So I suggest you oppose governments instead.

Sonofason

You're quite mistaken. The US government has no right to terminate every clump of cells which can walk and talk.

Why do you claim otherwise?

That's a great thread opener. Why not start a new thread with that? Maybe I'll answer your question there.

AmbiguousGuy

That's a great thread opener. Why not start a new thread with that? Maybe I'll answer your question there.

Nah. I just found your claim so bizarre. If you won't answer it here, I doubt you'll answer it elsewhere.

But let me try to set you straight: The US government really and truly has no right to kill clumps of cells once they make it through the birth canal. Not on sight, I mean.

You're simply confused to think otherwise. The government cannot come and kill you as you work in your garden -- not unless some extreme circumstances are involved.

Saddam Hussein could do that, but the US government cannot.

I hope this helps you sleep easier at night and also during your afternoon naps.

Sonofason

Nah. I just found your claim so bizarre. If you won't answer it here, I doubt you'll answer it elsewhere.

But let me try to set you straight: The US government really and truly has no right to kill clumps of cells once they make it through the birth canal. Not on sight, I mean.

You're simply confused to think otherwise. The government cannot come and kill you as you work in your garden -- not unless some extreme circumstances are involved.

Saddam Hussein could do that, but the US government cannot.

I hope this helps you sleep easier at night and also during your afternoon naps.

defining word "can".

to be able to do, make, or accomplish
to be able to do, make, or accomplish
be physically or mentally able to
be logically or axiologically able to
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/can

I hope this keeps you awake at night.

edited:

It may be true that the government has not been granted a right to do such things, they can still do it.

I do not have the right to murder someone, but I most certainly am capable and able to do it.

Last edited:

AmbiguousGuy

I agree. Please see edited version of my claim.

I've gone back to Msg 324, and it still appears to say what I remember it saying.

You said: The government already allows such terminations [of walking and talking people]. So I suggest you oppose governments instead

But if you want to amend it, that's fine with me. What did you mean to say?

Sonofason

I've gone back to Msg 324, and it still appears to say what I remember it saying.

You said: The government already allows such terminations [of walking and talking people]. So I suggest you oppose governments instead

But if you want to amend it, that's fine with me. What did you mean to say?

First, to say that a government does not have a right to do some thing is pretty much meaningless. They can do what ever they are capable of doing.

If the government decides it is in their best interest to kill someone, they will do it, despite the fact that they have not been granted a right to do it. There's more than one way to skin a cat, or so I've heard.

What you believe the government is allowed to do, and what the government allows itself to do can be two completely different things.

The government is completely capable of killing anyone who is asleep in their beds.

AmbiguousGuy

First, to say that a government does not have a right to do some thing is pretty much meaningless. They can do what ever they are capable of doing.

You might want to read about the founding of the US. Those guys wrote a constitution; they thought carefully about how to distribute power; they created systems of checks and balances; they allowed a free press so as to assure less backroom skullduggery.

Why? Well, because they knew all about stinking kings and queens. They wanted a country in which Saddam Hussein could not pick up their wives off the street and rape them.

Is it a perfect system? Heck no. Can a high government official pluck my daughter off the street and rape her? Nope. Can he pick up a rifle and kill any civilian, at his pleasure? Nope.

If the government decides it is in their best interest to kill someone, they will do it, despite the fact that they have not been granted a right to do it. There's more than one way to skin a cat, or so I've heard.

Don't believe everything you see in the movies. It's very hard for the US government to kill one of it citizens without legal process. Americans tend to be pretty moral people. All it takes is one member of a conspiracy to spill the beans, and that generally happens when law enforcement comes calling.

The government is completely capable of killing anyone who is asleep in their beds.

So are you and I. But what does that have to do with the government's right to kill anyone it pleases?

That was your claim... that the government had the right to kill its citizens as it pleased, yes?

Sonofason

You might want to read about the founding of the US. Those guys wrote a constitution; they thought carefully about how to distribute power; they created systems of checks and balances; they allowed a free press so as to assure less backroom skullduggery.

Why? Well, because they knew all about stinking kings and queens. They wanted a country in which Saddam Hussein could not pick up their wives off the street and rape them.

Is it a perfect system? Heck no. Can a high government official pluck my daughter off the street and rape her? Nope. Can he pick up a rifle and kill any civilian, at his pleasure? Nope.

Don't believe everything you see in the movies. It's very hard for the US government to kill one of it citizens without legal process. Americans tend to be pretty moral people. All it takes is one member of a conspiracy to spill the beans, and that generally happens when law enforcement comes calling.

So are you and I. But what does that have to do with the government's right to kill anyone it pleases?

That was your claim... that the government had the right to kill its citizens as it pleased, yes?

Not all rights are granted. Some rights are claimed. I personally believe I have the right to do anything I want. And so, I do anything I want.

I have the right to drive 75 miles per hour on any highway in the USA, and so I do so if I believe it will be beneficial for me to do so. It really comes down to power. You have the right to do anything within your power. Once someone takes away that power, you no longer have that right.

It is apparent to me that you and I do not agree on the definition of "rights".

AmbiguousGuy

Not all rights are granted. Some rights are claimed. I personally believe I have the right to do anything I want. And so, I do anything I want.

I have the right to drive 75 miles per hour on any highway in the USA, and so I do so if I believe it will be beneficial for me to do so. It really comes down to power. You have the right to do anything within your power. Once someone takes away that power, you no longer have that right.

It is apparent to me that you and I do not agree on the definition of "rights".

If you pursue your 'rights', you'll bump up against reality and find yourself in court, in jail, in the hospital.

It's just like the government. If it pursues its 'right' to kill adult citizens at is pleasure, it will find itself destroyed by the people.

Sonofason

If you pursue your 'rights', you'll bump up against reality and find yourself in court, in jail, in the hospital.

It's just like the government. If it pursues its 'right' to kill adult citizens at is pleasure, it will find itself destroyed by the people.

If you pursue your right to speech, you may also find yourself in a court, a jail, or a hospital.

Yes, I agree, and that is why a government would first need to dis-empower the people. First, take their guns.

AmbiguousGuy

If you pursue your right to speech, you may also find yourself in a court, a jail, or a hospital.

Yes, I agree, and that is why a government would first need to dis-empower the people. First, take their guns.

I've got no idea what you're talking about. You claimed that the US government has the right to kill its citizens, and you've been talking in circles ever since I asked you to defend that claim.

But as you please.

Sonofason

I've got no idea what you're talking about. You claimed that the US government has the right to kill its citizens, and you've been talking in circles ever since I asked you to defend that claim.

But as you please.

Its a matter of perspective. Apparently, you and I do not share the same perspective.