• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion: The Gory Photos Are Real

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angellous_evangellous

lady_lazarus said:
We breed animals for food because basically we are a predator, (and a lazy one at that) and it's easier to farm domesticated cattle than it is to go out in the forrest, hunt down a wild cow and stab it with a spear. That would be the original basis for breeding animals for food...animals are unique in their own right. Just because a turkey can't split the atom doesn't make it any less unique in the world of the turkey. Sheep have distinctive personalities...as do cows, as do rabbits, as do chickens.
Listen to me go on...and I'm a carnivore.
That was bacially my point, but we are a unique omnivore.

I am not convinced that there is a "wild turkey" world. In my view, as I have mentioned before, some people project human emotions onto animals. You say that cows, rabbits, and chickens, etc. have distinct personalities. This is a projection of human personality traits onto animals who have no personalities. Most of us have had dogs and cats with different mannerisms, etc, but they really are trained by us to react to certain situations - it is really all instinct and chemical reactions. They do not come anywhere close to the complexity of human emotion and mannerisms. We have complex emotions, we see our animal's mannerisms, and falsely assume that the animal shares our emotions. It is sweet, but it is projection of a unqiue human attribute.

Not only are we able to split the atom (well, extremely few of us have that ability), we are able to be shaped by innumerably more external critera than Pavlov's dogs. The human three year old can exhibit more complexity than any other animal on earth, so the comparision of personality of emotion or uniqueness to an animal is rather shallow. That is to say, there is a provable human world - we have a complex society, education, personality, freewill, and every other trait in incomparably more quantity and quality than any other animal. In other words, we could raise and slaughter millions of cows (and any other animal) for food and the world has lost nothing (I will grant here that bringing an animal to extinction for food is not good stewardship), but to murder one human the dishonor to human dignity is catastrophic.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Some parrots are said to have the intelligence of a five year old child.

The ten month old cockatoo on my shoulder has a very distinct personality, had grasp on concepts such as object permanence before human infants of the same age developed them, and can identify three colours so far. She understands language and uses it, she will say "hello" to a new person when she first sees them or to me when I walk into the room she's in, she says "no" when I ask her to do something she doesn't feel like doing or when I put her into her cage, and identifies me as "Maa" which I take short for "Mama" as if you ask her where her "mama" is she'll waddle right over to me.

Pigs have sex for pleasure and cry when they are sad or hurt. They're also much smarter than your average dog.

Bees have complex societies, along with countless other animals. Elephants and dolphins, to name a few, have "language."

Can they split atoms, no. But is that essential to life or blowing up other countries?

In other words, we could raise and slaughter millions of cows (and any other animal) for food and the world has lost nothing (I will grant here that bringing an animal to extinction for food is not good stewardship), but to murder one human the dishonor to human dignity is catastrophic.

But the world has gained so much more pollution by doing that to cows .; )
Hundreds of humans die or are murdered every day and the world hasn't stopped.

desi

lady_lazarus said:
Is that a particular movie you're refering to, or movies in general?
Its an ultrasound where the baby suck its thumb, blinks its eyes, and swims around... before an abortionist goes after it... then it swims away, is caught, and broken to pieces as it is aborted. They make such movies and show them to future abortionists. Such films are not distasteful if you are of the right persuasion.

linwood

Its an ultrasound where the baby suck its thumb, blinks its eyes, and swims around.
Blinks its eyes?
Thats one hell of an ultrasound, I couldn`t even find my kid in ours.

:)

A

angellous_evangellous

lady_lazarus said:
They can do really good 3d ones now, but I'm not sure if they're readily available.
Yes, and in color too. It is quite facinating. National Geographic will have a special called "In the Womb," which I must miss but will purchase from them. Hopefully women will be convinced not to have abortions because of it...

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
angellous_evangellous said:
That was bacially my point, but we are a unique omnivore.

I am not convinced that there is a "wild turkey" world. In my view, as I have mentioned before, some people project human emotions onto animals. You say that cows, rabbits, and chickens, etc. have distinct personalities. This is a projection of human personality traits onto animals who have no personalities. Most of us have had dogs and cats with different mannerisms, etc, but they really are trained by us to react to certain situations - it is really all instinct and chemical reactions. They do not come anywhere close to the complexity of human emotion and mannerisms. We have complex emotions, we see our animal's mannerisms, and falsely assume that the animal shares our emotions. It is sweet, but it is projection of a unqiue human attribute.

Not only are we able to split the atom (well, extremely few of us have that ability), we are able to be shaped by innumerably more external critera than Pavlov's dogs. The human three year old can exhibit more complexity than any other animal on earth, so the comparision of personality of emotion or uniqueness to an animal is rather shallow. That is to say, there is a provable human world - we have a complex society, education, personality, freewill, and every other trait in incomparably more quantity and quality than any other animal. In other words, we could raise and slaughter millions of cows (and any other animal) for food and the world has lost nothing (I will grant here that bringing an animal to extinction for food is not good stewardship), but to murder one human the dishonor to human dignity is catastrophic.

so basically you are saying that because we are supierior in intellecutal thinking and all, we can breed animals for food? okay..... :sarcastic

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
OK, I think this thread has lived it's life and is so far off topic now. Please start new threads for your new discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.