• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic God = Brahman???

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
but we know that there was a connection between judaism and zoroastrianism.
Zoroaster was born in 600 BCE. Judaism had been percolating for quite some time before that. Did the Persian empire and its religion have some impact on Judaism? I imagine so. But I think a lot of people grossly exaggerate how much.

There really isn't evidence to support the idea that there is any connection between Zoroastianism and Hinduism. They developed separately, in very different cultures and places. Again, there was undoubtedly some exchange of ideas as traders went to and fro, but it is important not to exaggerate this.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Zoroaster was born in 600 BCE. Judaism had been percolating for quite some time before that. Did the Persian empire and its religion have some impact on Judaism? I imagine so. But I think a lot of people grossly exaggerate how much.

There really isn't evidence to support the idea that there is any connection between Zoroastianism and Hinduism. They developed separately, in very different cultures and places. Again, there was undoubtedly some exchange of ideas as traders went to and fro, but it is important not to exaggerate this.
you don't believe in jung's and joseph campbell's monomyth?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
If you are talking about archetypes, yes, they are a reality. They have nothing to do with one religion influencing another. It's exactly the opposite. The idea is that certain ideas/motifs/themes are biologically ingrained in us, and will spontaneously pop up all over the world, with no influence at all.

So... the reason you have a hero's quest myth among the Arapaho in Northern America and also among the !Kung of the African Bush is due to shared biology, not because Arapahos influenced Bushman, or visa versa.

Off the top of my head, a few common archetypes are the Hero, the Mentor, the Shadow, the Innocent, the Trickster. Probably the Trickster is my personal favorite. I love him in every incarnation, from Loki to Coyote to Raven to Q in Star Trek. :)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
but we know that there was a connection between judaism and zoroastrianism. and there is a connection between zoroastrianism and hinduism
Judaism met Zoroastrianism in Iraq - The Exile.
Zoroastrianism arose from Vedic religion but was a complete overhaul.
Zoroaster even got the 'kavis' (followers of Vedic religion) killed by King Vistaspa, one of his four demands.
But Vedic Aryans had come to India much before the time of Zoroaster. By that time, Hinduism had assimilated Vedic religion.
Indian Aryans did not have much contact with Central Asian or Afghan Aryans after settling down in India.
They had abandoned their wandering ways and had settled in villages and cities in the Land of Seven Rivers (Hapta Hendu) and termed it as Arya-varta (The Land of Aryans).

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
Is the Abrahamic God an anthropomorphic personification of the Hinduism's Brahman?

As I understand it, Brahman doesn't have human qualities, but the Abrahamic God has some of the same qualities as Brahman.

So maybe he is?
Idk, but I watched a YouTube video of Rabbi Mais Friedman talking with a couple of people about the word Brahma has its roots in Abraham. I have no opinion regarding this, but found the video interesting.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Idk, but I watched a YouTube video of Rabbi Mais Friedman talking with a couple of people about the word Brahma has its roots in Abraham. I have no opinion regarding this, but found the video interesting.
Interesting!

I never noticed that Brahman and Abraham sound alike

But are they actually related though, or just false friends?

That's the question!

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Is the Abrahamic God an anthropomorphic personification of the Hinduism's Brahman?

As I understand it, Brahman doesn't have human qualities, but the Abrahamic God has some of the same qualities as Brahman.

So maybe he is?
Actually, Abrahamic God is Hindu Brahman and just as Hindus personify the manifestations of Brahman as Devdas, like Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma. Similarly, the Abrahamic religions personified the manifestations in the form of angels. So, Brahman is Abrahamic God or Qur'anic Allah, and angels are anthropomorphic devatas.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Interesting!

I never noticed that Brahman and Abraham sound alike

But are they actually related though, or just false friends?

That's the question!
The word Brahman, the key Brah in Brahman is the same as the quality of God to grow, which is written by the letters B and R. So, while the names Brahman and Abraham sound alike, they are totally different. Brahman is a psychic God well Abraham is a physical person. And they are not just related but Brahman manifests as Vishnu who incarnates as Abraham or Ram. So, they are not false friends, but Brahman is same as Abrahamic God

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
The name Brahma and Ibrahim are indeed similar but that is a very superficial similarity. The creative power of Abrahamic God is written as b r that creative power is the same as the creative power of Brahman. The fact that Abraham sounds like Brahma does not work because originally Abraham's name was Abram, which does not have the h that is so prominent in the word Brahma or Brahman.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Zoroaster was born before 1200 BCE, although the specific date is not known. The connection between Zoroastrianism and Hinduism comes through the Gathas of Zoroaster, which are written in a Western language. The Gathas are almost a mirror copy of the Gita of the Hindus. There are many other similarities. It seems that some Hindus may have migrated westward to Afghanistan and Iran, where Zoroastrianism flowered.

David1967

Premium Member
The name Brahma and Ibrahim are indeed similar but that is a very superficial similarity. The creative power of Abrahamic God is written as b r that creative power is the same as the creative power of Brahman. The fact that Abraham sounds like Brahma does not work because originally Abraham's name was Abram, which does not have the h that is so prominent in the word Brahma or Brahman.
Thank you!

ajay0

So maybe he is?

As per the Sufi interpretation of Tawhid and God, there is no difference between Nirguna Brahman in Hinduism and the Abrahamic God as both are omnipresent.

The Abrahamic God is different from the rest of creation, as per the Sunni interpretations of Tawhid and God. This would be similar to the interpretations of God made by the Arya Samajis and Brahmakumaris in Hinduism which state that the incorporeal God is separate from the rest of creation.

So, from these perspectives of monism and monotheism, one can say that the Abrahamic God is similar to Brahman.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
As per the Sufi interpretation of Tawhid and God, there is no difference between Nirguna Brahman in Hinduism and the Abrahamic God as both are omnipresent.
I don't think Abrahamic God is omnipresent because Abrahamic God has two manifestations Elohim and Yahweh. I agree that Elohim is omnipresent but Yahweh is not omnipresent. Yahweh is very much the God of the Israelites and he has no existence in among non-Israelite people. So, I don't know about what t Sufi interpretation you're talking about but this would be a point to consider.
The Abrahamic God is different from the rest of creation, as per the Sunni interpretations of Tawhid and God. This would be similar to the interpretations of God made by the Arya Samajis and Brahmakumaris in Hinduism which state that the incorporeal God is separate from the rest of creation.
I have not studied the Arya Samajis and Brahmakumaris viewpoint from this standpoint but from what you say it seems to be okay.

To conclude, Monism and monotheism are both different than Yahweh. That is the central point. Yahweh is the God of the Israelis and he can be vindictive towards others, he can be jealous. There is no such Phenomena can be attributed to Elohim.