• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACTION ALERT: "defend our shared values" from a "shameful display of sexual immorality"

Alceste

Vagabond
My point wasn't about people getting them mixed up.
My point is similar to when some black women get annoyed by gay white men doing the finger clinking "oh nnnaaaahhhh guurrll, you didn't" thing.
I hate comparing issues but sometimes I have to for people to get what I'm talking about.

I think it does more good than harm to challenge gender stereotypes, especially in arts and entertainment. In fact, I think it's our responsibility as artists. Drag queens are saying "men can dress up too", they're not saying "women have to". So they're doing more to destroy our stereotypes of gender-appropriate behavior than to affirm or enforce them, IMO.

I don't think "nah-ah" or "oh no you dit'int" are equivalent, but I also think black people who are annoyed by that should remember that imitation is the sincerest firm of flattery. :)

Wherenextcolumbus

Men can dress up. David Bowie did it, Boy George did it and still does do it, but they weren't trying to be caricatures of women and refer to themselves as women when they dressed up theatrically, that's my points.

Black women are annoyed by that because its a caricature of black women and a stereotype that is portrayed of them in the media. When black women are portrayed like that they are too loud, aggressive, ghetto. When white men do it they are funny.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Men can dress up. David Bowie did it, Boy George did it and still does do it, but they weren't trying to be caricatures of women and refer to themselves as women when they dressed up theatrically, that's my points.

Black women are annoyed by that because its a caricature of black women and a stereotype that is portrayed of them in the media. When black women are portrayed like that they are too loud, aggressive, ghetto. When white men do it they are funny.

It isn't necessarily characterizing black women when a man will snap his fingers and talk sass. It sometimes is just talking sass. :)

Are we making blanket generalizations here about what black women are annoyed with and what women are annoyed with? Or is there an assumption about what black women and women in general SHOULD be annoyed with?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I love love love drag shows, even when I thought I was straight I loved them. I get jealous of their legs lol.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"defend our shared values" from a "shameful display of sexual immorality"
How does a drag show threaten "shared values," and why does this group believe their personal shared values are under threat or need defending?
Why is this show "sexually immoral?" Whose concept of sexual morality are we talking about? Why should this particular concept of morality be promoted above others? How is this particular viewpoint superior to Paganism, for example?
Why is this display shameful? Are the performers ashamed -- or are you ashamed? How can the actions of one bring shame to another? And, again, why should your concept of shame carry more weight than someone elses concept?

If the show threatens your values, don't attend.
In a free society it's not an individual's -- or a government's, for that matter -- place to enforce any individual moral proscriptions unless the proscribed acts can actually be demonstrated nto be intrinsically harmful. To attack a drag show solely on the basis of personal sexualmorality, when no actual harm can be demonstrated therefrom, is unamerican and an affront to the "liberty and justice" our country stands for.

Love it or leave it, .If freedom threatens you and you seek a theocratic tyranny, you are No True American!

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't understand the appeal of drag shows at all, but if the performers enjoy it and if the audience enjoys it, then all the power to them. There's definitely skill and art in involved in what they do.

I'm not really into watching football either but the same logic applies; the important thing is that there are shared interests between performers and the audience.

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't understand the appeal of drag shows at all, but if the performers enjoy it and if the audience enjoys it, then all the power to them. There's definitely skill and art in involved in what they do.

I'm not really into watching football either but the same logic applies; the important thing is that there are shared interests between performers and the audience.

Exactly! That's show business in a nutshell, whether you're an athlete or a lady who fires ping pong balls out of her vagina. You're never going to please everybody, you only need to please your own audience.

Me Myself

Back to my username
There's nothing wrong with it. I said that I didn't understand the point of it. A poster also claimed that it wasn't about flaunting sexuality (or gender, whichever), but that does seem to be the gist of it.

What is there to understand? Some people enjoy. Making the display and some enjoy watching it. Thats it. Cant say I find it particularly attractive, the closest I ve been to a drag show was me looking at Rocky horror and I was actually very disappointed because it looked cool at first and then it bored meto death.

But well, theres a thing out there for everyone. No reason to make a scandal just because wacthing or using drags doesnt fit you (not saying you are making a scandal btw :D )

There are way weirder things out there pele find joyful.

I actually entertein a handful of people from time to time with my senslessnesses! :eek:

Me Myself

Back to my username

Heh you beated me to it and said it better too. What can I do? :D

Alceste

Vagabond
What is there to understand? Some people enjoy. Making the display and some enjoy watching it. Thats it. Cant say I find it particularly attractive, the closest I ve been to a drag show was me looking at Rocky horror and I was actually very disappointed because it looked cool at first and then it bored meto death.

But well, theres a thing out there for everyone. No reason to make a scandal just because wacthing or using drags doesnt fit you (not saying you are making a scandal btw :D )

There are way weirder things out there pele find joyful.

I actually entertein a handful of people from time to time with my senslessnesses! :eek:

Sign me up on your list of people who were disappointed with rocky horror picture show! I expected more than was delivered. I appreciate the revolutionary role of the film in the social progress of cinema bla bla bla. But it is still crap.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Sign me up on your list of people who were disappointed with rocky horror picture show! I expected more than was delivered. I appreciate the revolutionary role of the film in the social progress of cinema bla bla bla. But it is still crap.

IMO, it's easily forgiven because we got more from "La Cage aux Folles" and "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" than we ever hoped for. ;)

Me Myself

Back to my username

Yeah, it started good and funny, and had really cool parts like the dance where the really serious guy was explaining the dance and the oers and what not, but then I felt like it was supposed to go something like "everybody is bisexual and sex freak and uses heels lol lol lol lol lolz!" And I was like "okaaaaay...... Maybe My generation is too used to queer for this to be funny? :D"

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yeah, it started good and funny, and had really cool parts like the dance where the really serious guy was explaining the dance and the oers and what not, but then I felt like it was supposed to go something like "everybody is bisexual and sex freak and uses heels lol lol lol lol lolz!" And I was like "okaaaaay...... Maybe My generation is too used to queer for this to be funny? :D"

The appeal for RHPS was the audience participation. It was cinema's first flash mob.