• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve as a Myth

idav

Being
Premium Member
Thank-you. I will.

As always you may believe as you wish.

However the thread questions the use of the people animals and events in the Genesis story as real historical figures and events. Genesis was written in the form of Mythology and also used elements from myths of surrounding cultures. Even the tree of life is a mythological element as found in the book of Revelations.

javajo

As always you may believe as you wish.
Thanks.

However the thread questions the use of the people animals and events in the Genesis story as real historical figures and events. Genesis was written in the form of Mythology and also used elements from myths of surrounding cultures. Even the tree of life is a mythological element as found in the book of Revelations.
I don't understand it that way and neither did Jesus, Peter or Paul. Of course people who believe Genesis is myth don't really believe them either. But keep in mind, I believe Jesus walked on water, so...

idav

Being
Premium Member
Thanks.

I don't understand it that way and neither did Jesus, Peter or Paul. Of course people who believe Genesis is myth don't really believe them either. But keep in mind, I believe Jesus walked on water, so...

The tree of life is highly symbolic as seen in Revelation when Eden is restored. The tree could be seen as Christ because it is healing and giving eternal life which would be the same in Genesis.

Revelation 22
22 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations.

javajo

I believe in imagery in the Bible. Actually, though, I take that particular verse in Revelation literally. Imagine that! :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The tree of life is highly symbolic as seen in Revelation when Eden is restored. The tree could be seen as Christ because it is healing and giving eternal life which would be the same in Genesis...
I believe in imagery in the Bible. Actually, though, I take that particular verse in Revelation literally. Imagine that!
I see, so Christ is not giving eternal life it is the tree.:sarcastic
Any chance of you guys taking this to the My-Knowledge-Of-Christ-Is-Better-Than-Your-Knowledge-Of-Christ DIR?

javajo

I see, so Christ is not giving eternal life it is the tree.:sarcastic
My beliefs are: It says the trees are for the "healing of the nations.", not eternal life. The river of the water of life proceeds "out of the Throne of God and the Lamb", so it is still Christ giving the eternal life. I understand it both ways, literally and symbolically. Symbolically in that water often represents the word, which Jesus said, the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. Jn. 6:63b, and Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word. Eph. 5:25b-26. I do like the statement, But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. Jn 4:14. Literally, in that I believe the City of the New Jerusalem is a literal city as described, and we will live with God forevermore on a new earth as it says.

But, getting back to Adam and Eve. I just wanted to put a couple verses that seem to indicate that Adam and Eve did exist from the beginning and off-point, they did live with the dinosaurs...From Genesis 1 we see Adam and Eve and the beasts and cattle were all made on the sixth day:

And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind...and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion...over all the earth...So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Christ answered the Pharisees in Mark 10 about divorce. (see how from the beginning they were male and female and were married):

And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Paul said in Romans 1 that men knew him from the creation of the world, so men were alive in the beginning:

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

And repeatedly in Romans 5 we see Adam sinned and brought death into the world:

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned...death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

So from the Bible, Adam and Eve were made the same day as the dinosaurs, they were there in the beginning of the creation and were married. People lived in the beginning of the creation and knew about God, and sin and therefore death came by one man, Adam and passed on to us all. So, according to the Bible Adam and Eve were real and were created the same day as the dinosaurs. There are more passages that indicate the writers believed in Adam and Eve, the Flood and the Creation Story just as it is written. Peter had something to say as well about the Flood of Noah, which, Jesus did believe in as well:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 2 Peter 3

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
Why would Paul know anything of that? He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

Since no scripture before him agrees, he's just making it up.

Looncall

My beliefs are: It says the trees are for the "healing of the nations.", not eternal life. The river of the water of life proceeds "out of the Throne of God and the Lamb", so it is still Christ giving the eternal life. I understand it both ways, literally and symbolically. Symbolically in that water often represents the word, which Jesus said, the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. Jn. 6:63b, and Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word. Eph. 5:25b-26. I do like the statement, But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. Jn 4:14. Literally, in that I believe the City of the New Jerusalem is a literal city as described, and we will live with God forevermore on a new earth as it says.

But, getting back to Adam and Eve. I just wanted to put a couple verses that seem to indicate that Adam and Eve did exist from the beginning and off-point, they did live with the dinosaurs...From Genesis 1 we see Adam and Eve and the beasts and cattle were all made on the sixth day:

And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind...and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion...over all the earth...So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Christ answered the Pharisees in Mark 10 about divorce. (see how from the beginning they were male and female and were married):

And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Paul said in Romans 1 that men knew him from the creation of the world, so men were alive in the beginning:

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

And repeatedly in Romans 5 we see Adam sinned and brought death into the world:

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned...death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

So from the Bible, Adam and Eve were made the same day as the dinosaurs, they were there in the beginning of the creation and were married. People lived in the beginning of the creation and knew about God, and sin and therefore death came by one man, Adam and passed on to us all. So, according to the Bible Adam and Eve were real and were created the same day as the dinosaurs. There are more passages that indicate the writers believed in Adam and Eve, the Flood and the Creation Story just as it is written. Peter had something to say as well about the Flood of Noah, which, Jesus did believe in as well:

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 2 Peter 3

So much the worse for the bible.

javajo

Why would Paul know anything of that? He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

Since no scripture before him agrees, he's just making it up.
Oh, obviously. What did Paul know. God only revealed to him things hid from the foundations of the world.

So much the worse for the bible.
Exactly. That's my point/belief. Either the Bible is right or you are wrong. I'll stick with the Bible, personally.

idav

Being
Premium Member
All that should show you that the tree if symbolic which in turn has an effect on the rest of the symbols used in Genesis. Inside the garden was eternal life but was it with christ since Genesis? Outside the garden was the real world with a whole population of humans to deal with and the bible confirms this when Cain finds people outside of Gods chosen lineage.

outhouse

Atheistically
Oh, obviously. What did Paul know. God only revealed to him things hid from the foundations of the world.

you have no idea

I personally think you fail to understand the context of what paul was writing. And I feel your relying on Acts which contradicts what paul himself states.

Paul states he got the feeling of jesus within him, much the same way you have feelings in your heart for things you find valuable