• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve as a Myth

outhouse

Atheistically
It is not surprising to me to find the myths of ancient Babylon may contain distorted stories based on actual events. The Noachian Flood, for example. Or the name of the first man. But these myths bear no resemblance to the truthful account of Genesis. And thank you for noting my "lack of ignorance."

I have proof a sumerian king lived in the real legend

I have proof that a river flood devistated the area in 2900 BC

you only have a lack of evidence that points to 100% mythology :slap:

idav

Being
Premium Member
No, Genesis does not involve:
  • Spontaneous generation
  • People sprouting from ribs
  • Talking snakes
  • Cursed apples
Perhaps you need to take a closer look at what Genesis and the Bible actually does say?
What bible are you reading? The Genesis book contains those elements. Are you saying you don't take it literally because it is in the realm of symbolism and mythology?

Agnostic75

rusra02 said:
It is not surprising to me to find the myths of ancient Babylon may contain distorted stories based on actual events. The Noachian Flood, for example.

When do you date the global flood?

What is your academic background in biology, and geology?

Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to accept creationism, and the global flood story?

Ken Miller, Ph.D., biology, is a devout Roman Catholic, and a theistic evolutionist. He is a widely acknowledged expert on evolution, and testified at the Dover trial. He has an article on the evolution of the flagellum at The Flagellum Unspun. Do you understand the article well enough to adequately refute it based upon your own understanding of biology, without copying something from the Internet, or from a book or article? I know that I do not understand the article well enough to have an informed scientific opinion about it. Do you know that you do not understand the article well enough to have an informed scientific opinion about it?

Like millions of other non-experts in science, I choose to accept the opinions of a large consensus of Christian and non-Christian experts who accept naturalistic or theistic evolution, and do not believe that a global flood occurred.

Last edited:

javajo

Eh, well, I believe the Creation Story and in Adam and Eve and in the world-wide Flood of Noah. I believe Jesus walked on water and rose from the grave, too. He also believed in these things, so I guess I'm in good company.

Tristesse

Eh, well, I believe the Creation Story and in Adam and Eve and in the world-wide Flood of Noah. I believe Jesus walked on water and rose from the grave, too. He also believed in these things, so I guess I'm in good company.

Why do you believe it is more important than that you believe it.

outhouse

Atheistically

lets stop the nonsense right now

what date was your flood,??? the exact date it happened.

No date no flood.

Awoon

When will Jesus' followers do what he did?

gnostic

The Lost One
rusra02 said:
It is not surprising to me to find the myths of ancient Babylon may contain distorted stories based on actual events. The Noachian Flood, for example. Or the name of the first man. But these myths bear no resemblance to the truthful account of Genesis. And thank you for noting my "lack of ignorance."

There are many evidences to support that creation and flood originated from Sumer in the 2nd-half of the 3rd millennium BCE, and then in Babylonia (written in Old Babylonian and Middle Babylonian versions) through the 2nd millennium BCE, are older than the earliest Hebrew version, demonstrated that you ignorantly don't know anything.

Also in the mid-2nd millennium BCE, many fragments of clay tablets have been found in the Bronze Age town of Megiddo, also demonstrate the popularity of Babylonian myths in Canaanite culture. Babylonian myths have even reached as far as the Hittite and Egyptian kingdoms. The very presence of Babylonian myths in the Levant give us indication that the Canaanites (and therefore, the Israelites) .

There are absolutely no evidence to support your claim that the Hebrew legend was the earliest or the most accurate.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It is not surprising to me to find the myths of ancient Babylon may contain distorted stories based on actual events.
We could just say that all creation myths are distorted stories of truth but this is not the case. No creation myth can be based on actual events even if they resemble what is found in Genesis.
The Noachian Flood, for example. Or the name of the first man. But these myths bear no resemblance to the truthful account of Genesis.

They do bare a resemblance, that was why they are brought up. A local flood makes more sense in the other myths. The bibles account of global flood is unfounded so the bible account is no more truthful than any other myth.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Eh, well, I believe the Creation Story and in Adam and Eve and in the world-wide Flood of Noah.
The creation story from the bible reads just like any other creation myth would with it's attempt at explaining origins. Evolution explains origins a lot better than any creation myth ever has.
I believe Jesus walked on water and rose from the grave, too. He also believed in these things, so I guess I'm in good company.
I believe those Jesus stories are more like legends based on a real person. Did he believe in a literal Adam and Eve and a six day creation? Doubtful, if Jesus really had a connection with god then he would have known about the millions and billions of years it took our planet and life to evolve.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why is it doubtful?

Cause he had a supposed connection with god. Then he would know about evolution.

Other than that he regarded the stories from the OT as coming from ancients but I haven't found much of Jesus interpreting any of the OT literally. He does mention Adam and Eve as coming from "the beginning" (beginning of what the universe?) but he saw more symbolism in it about God ordaining man and woman as one. So it isn't really mentioned if he took the six day creation literally but we see Jesus using tons of symbolism making it hard to even take anything Jesus says as literal.

javajo

Why do you believe it is more important than that you believe it.
I think the Lord asks, "Did you believe in me for eternal life?", not "Why did you believe...", so its more important to believe in Christ than to know all the "whys". That has been my experience. I felt the strong conviction of the Holy Spirit that I needed to trust Christ for salvation and I trusted Him long before the "why" questions surfaced. But, I examined those, too, and for me they were answered quite satisfactorily. But that's just for me, and that's just my beliefs.

lets stop the nonsense right now
I just said I believe it, that's all. Scientific Evidence for a Worldwide Flood

what date was your flood,??? the exact date it happened. No date no flood.
I believe it happened around 4200 years ago.

When will Jesus' followers do what he did?
What do you mean?

The creation story from the bible reads just like any other creation myth would with it's attempt at explaining origins. Evolution explains origins a lot better than any creation myth ever has.
To me, creation makes much more sense, but that's just me.

I believe those Jesus stories are more like legends based on a real person. Did he believe in a literal Adam and Eve and a six day creation? Doubtful, if Jesus really had a connection with god then he would have known about the millions and billions of years it took our planet and life to evolve.
I believe Jesus created the world, so, yes, I think he believed in Adam and Eve, since he made them...in six days...not so long ago.

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. Col. 1

1 In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1

outhouse

Atheistically

I believe it happened around 4200 years ago.
why are there no breaks in Egyptian records during this time?? with written records to back it.

why are there no breaks in ANY culture in China at this time, NONE! with written records to back it

why are there no breaks in any culture in the whole world at this time?

why is there no geologocal evidence from 4200 years ago ????

To me, creation makes much more sense, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tristesse

I think the Lord asks, "Did you believe in me for eternal life?", not "Why did you believe...", so its more important to believe in Christ than to know all the "whys". That has been my experience. I felt the strong conviction of the Holy Spirit that I needed to trust Christ for salvation and I trusted Him long before the "why" questions surfaced. But, I examined those, too, and for me they were answered quite satisfactorily. But that's just for me, and that's just my beliefs.

So your stance is, just believe, the why's will come later. Do you think thats a good way for determining fact from fantasy?

Agnostic75

javajo said:

Does faith need scientific evidence for support?

Do you accept creationism, and the young earth theory? If so, did science have anything to do with your acceptance of those things?

Any follower of any religion can say that their religion feels good for them. Merely stating that a religion feels good does not help discussions lead to helpful conclusions. You mentioned science. Science does not reach conclusions based upon how people feel, but on testable hypthoses.

rusra02

Premium Member
What bible are you reading? The Genesis book contains those elements. Are you saying you don't take it literally because it is in the realm of symbolism and mythology?

No, I'm saying that the Genesis account is being grossly misrepresented and distorted.

rusra02

Premium Member
We could just say that all creation myths are distorted stories of truth but this is not the case. No creation myth can be based on actual events even if they resemble what is found in Genesis.

They do bare a resemblance, that was why they are brought up. A local flood makes more sense in the other myths. The bibles account of global flood is unfounded so the bible account is no more truthful than any other myth.

While Babylonian myths have been relegated to the dust bin of history, the Bible's logical account of Creation has stood the test of time and countless attempts to discredit it. The historicity of the Bible record has never been successfully challenged. Anyone can claim the Bible accounts are mythical but they cannot prove their claims. I think it is as Psalm 10:4 states: "The wicked one according to his superciliousness [literally, "according to the height of his nose"] makes no search; All his ideas are: "There is no God."

McBell

Admiral Obvious
While Babylonian myths have been relegated to the dust bin of history, the Bible's logical account of Creation has stood the test of time and countless attempts to discredit it. The historicity of the Bible record has never been successfully challenged. Anyone can claim the Bible accounts are mythical but they cannot prove their claims. I think it is as Psalm 10:4 states: "The wicked one according to his superciliousness [literally, "according to the height of his nose"] makes no search; All his ideas are: "There is no God."

This is nothing more than a bold faced attempt at presenting wishful thinking as fact.

It fails.

rusra02

Premium Member
When do you date the global flood?

What is your academic background in biology, and geology?

Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who know very little about science to accept creationism, and the global flood story?

Ken Miller, Ph.D., biology, is a devout Roman Catholic, and a theistic evolutionist. He is a widely acknowledged expert on evolution, and testified at the Dover trial. He has an article on the evolution of the flagellum at The Flagellum Unspun. Do you understand the article well enough to adequately refute it based upon your own understanding of biology, without copying something from the Internet, or from a book or article? I know that I do not understand the article well enough to have an informed scientific opinion about it. Do you know that you do not understand the article well enough to have an informed scientific opinion about it?

Like millions of other non-experts in science, I choose to accept the opinions of a large consensus of Christian and non-Christian experts who accept naturalistic or theistic evolution, and do not believe that a global flood occurred.

Your choice to follow the shifting theories of men instead of the evidence is, of course, your right. And as you mentioned, you certainly are not alone in being led along by the ceaseless evolutionary propaganda being disseminated by ToE advocates. Millions of people believe this baseless theory, not because they have examined the evidence, but simply to not appear different from the popular course. History is filled with the sad results of such blind acceptance of propaganda, supposedly from an authoritative source. The Bible, on the other hand, urges us to "make sure of all things, hold fast to what is fine." (1 Thessalonians 5:21) It also warns: "Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you of as his prey through the philosophy and empy deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world." (Colossians 2:8) Wise counsel, I think.