• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a Muslim?

no-body

Why do you think not?

I don't know about you but my definition of God would probably be different than a typical Muslims and while I agree Mohammed is a prophet of God I could never believe he was the last prophet of God.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
The big question is whether or not you consider yourself a Muslim.

I do not know. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I do not.

I always consider myself to be one who is trying to submit to God. That does not waver. In that sense I am.
However, I do not intend learning Arabic, praying in Arabic or adopting cultural practices which I do not feel that I need to.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I do not know. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I do not.

I always consider myself to be one who is trying to submit to God. That does not waver. In that sense I am.
However, I do not intend learning Arabic, praying in Arabic or adopting cultural practices which I do not feel that I need to.

I can relate to that one.

When I started to study and practice Judaism, I went through a similar situation. I kept going back forth between seeing myself as Jewish and think that the very idea was ludicrous and there wasn't any way I could do it. It took a while for me settle down and aknowledge that I was Jewish.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I don't know about you but my definition of God would probably be different than a typical Muslims and while I agree Mohammed is a prophet of God I could never believe he was the last prophet of God.

No, the concept of Allah as I understand it jives with me.
Allah is the original and proper name of God. There is a Muslim by the name of Abdul Majid Daryabadi who translated the Qur’aan, which is entitled: “The Glorious Qur’an”, has stated on page 1, tasfir #3:

“The word Allah is incapable of translation. It is not a common noun meaning a god or even God. It is a proper noun par excellence. No plural can be formed from it, and it is, according to the best authorities on the Arabic language, without derivation. The word connotes all the attributes of perfection and beauty in their infinitude, and denotes none but the One True and Unique God, the Absolute, Supreme, Perfect, Tender, Mighty, Gracious, Benign and Compassionate. The English word God, which is ‘the common Teutonic word for a personal object of religious worship applied to all superhuman beings of heathen mythologies who exercise power over nature and man (EBr. X. p. 460), and which primarily meant only ‘what is invoked’ and ‘what is worshipped by sacrifice’ (SOED. I. p. 808), is hardly an approximate substitute.”

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I can relate to that one.

When I started to study and practice Judaism, I went through a similar situation. I kept going back forth between seeing myself as Jewish and think that the very idea was ludicrous and there wasn't any way I could do it. It took a while for me settle down and aknowledge that I was Jewish.

That is exactly where I am at. It feels like I have been backwards and forwards in my own mind a million times.

The idea of being able to know well enough where I am in order to settle into it is most appealing.

Thank you for your contribution. I appreciate it.

no-body

No, the concept of Allah as I understand it jives with me.

When you get closer to the more mystical aspects of Islam (like Sufism) sure.

But I don't see why I would saddle myself with the headache of calling myself a Muslim when I'm probably not going to be accepted by either side. It's up to your own personal preference though, that's my choice.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
But I don't see why I would saddle myself with the headache of calling myself a Muslim when I'm probably not going to be accepted by either side. It's up to your own personal preference though, that's my choice.

I can relate to this too.
One reason that would motivate me to do so is that I intensely dislike discrimination and by categorizing myself as a Muslim I might be making a (tiny) stand.
On the other hand, I would be slow to call myself a Muslim if I did not consider it justified. I don't know whether it is justified or not.

no-body

One reason that would motivate me to do so is that I intensely dislike discrimination and by categorizing myself as a Muslim I might be making a (tiny) stand.
On the other hand, I would be slow to call myself a Muslim if I did not consider it justified. I don't know whether it is justified or not.

Are there any (liberal) Muslim groups in your area? I think you need to actually visit one of these groups in person and see if you like the community if you are this serious. At least that's where I would start.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Are there any (liberal) Muslim groups in your area? I think you need to actually visit one of these groups in person and see if you like the community if you are this serious. At least that's where I would start.

No. A Protestant is a rare creature around here never mind a Muslim!

hossein

welcome stephenw, dont make it hard for yourself just read quran and think on its meaning
Quran is the words of god that guide better than any one else. after reading it may some parts dont be so obvious to understand which you can use tafsirs that explain part with other part of quran or prophet's anecdote (Hadis & sunnat)
and you should start to pray, because as a muslim you must try to talk to the god who creates you and guided you
hope you peace

loverOfTruth

I believe that there is no God but God. I believe that Muhammad is His Prophet.

Does that make me a Muslim?

If you answer 'yes' to the following questions :
* Do you believe with all your heart and mind that there is only One God who is our Creator and the Creator of everything in the Heavens and the Earth ?
* If so, do you believe that this Creator(God) sent messengers(starting from Adam(pbuh) and then continuing with many other including Moses(pbuh) and Jesus(pbuh) and finally ending with Muhammad(pbuh)) to humanity to guide humanity to His way ?
* Finally, do you believe that when we die, we return to the same Creator(God) and will be held accountable for our deeds in this world ?

Then you are a Muslim (at least by Faith). What that means is that you are free of the only 'Unforgivable' sin (according to Islam) of denying God/associating partners with God, even though you won't be utilizing the true benefit of Islam/guidance from God unless you start practicing the other aspects of the faith.

Now if you were to die today (God forbid - just so to say), you will be dying in the state of Islam. What this means is, the end result will be EITHER at best God completely forgives your other sins(for example, doing something prohibited or not doing something mandatory) if He wills and since you believe in Him and His prophets including Muhammad(pbuh) and His judgement, that you enter paradise without hell fire ever touching you OR at worse that you get purified for your sins in Hell for some time and then eventually enter paradise. However, if someone didn't acknowledge the One true God, they wouldn't have the option of entering paradise at all since denying God and/or associating partners with God is the only 'unforgivable sin' in Islam.

Now let me explain the issue of practicing Islam(for example, the other 4 pillars of Islam - prayer, fasting, charity, pilgrimage etc). Hopefully, this will clear things up for you. If it doesn't please feel free to ask more questions.

No one expects someone to adopt a new way of life right away from day one. If one can do that, great - if not, that's fine too. God will judge everyone according to their intention and ability. But one should eventually be willing to adopt them to avoid sinning after all that is the purpose of willfully submitting to God completely so we can gain His pleasure and compassion in this world and hereafter. Right ?

As stated in the Holy Qur'an, we are supposed to follow Allah and His messenger(pbuh) both : "Say,'Obey Allah and His Messenger': But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith." (Al-Qur'an 3:32). And the prophet(pbuh) clearly asked us to perfrom Salah(5 times daily prayer) and more.

The Messenger of God Muhammad (may peace be upon him) said:
"If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any filth left on him?" The people said, "No filth would remain on him whatsoever." The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said, "That is like the five daily prayers: Allah (God) wipes away the sins by them."
The above Hadith was recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim

However, if someone is weak and cannot do those, at least they should ask Allah for help in doing those as well as for guidance and forgiveness.

God knows best. Peace.

Me Myself

Back to my username

do you believe in Hell?

Do you believe all the Qran is true?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
If you answer 'yes' to the following questions :
* Do you believe with all your heart and mind that there is only One God who is our Creator and the Creator of everything in the Heavens and the Earth ?
* If so, do you believe that this Creator(God) sent messengers(starting from Adam(pbuh) and then continuing with many other including Moses(pbuh) and Jesus(pbuh) and finally ending with Muhammad(pbuh)) to humanity to guide humanity to His way ?
* Finally, do you believe that when we die, we return to the same Creator(God) and will be held accountable for our deeds in this world ?

Then you are a Muslim (at least by Faith). What that means is that you are free of the only 'Unforgivable' sin (according to Islam) of denying God/associating partners with God, even though you won't be utilizing the true benefit of Islam/guidance from God unless you start practicing the other aspects of the faith.

Now if you were to die today (God forbid - just so to say), you will be dying in the state of Islam. What this means is, the end result will be EITHER at best God completely forgives your other sins(for example, doing something prohibited or not doing something mandatory) if He wills and since you believe in Him and His prophets including Muhammad(pbuh) and His judgement, that you enter paradise without hell fire ever touching you OR at worse that you get purified for your sins in Hell for some time and then eventually enter paradise. However, if someone didn't acknowledge the One true God, they wouldn't have the option of entering paradise at all since denying God and/or associating partners with God is the only 'unforgivable sin' in Islam.

Now let me explain the issue of practicing Islam(for example, the other 4 pillars of Islam - prayer, fasting, charity, pilgrimage etc). Hopefully, this will clear things up for you. If it doesn't please feel free to ask more questions.

No one expects someone to adopt a new way of life right away from day one. If one can do that, great - if not, that's fine too. God will judge everyone according to their intention and ability. But one should eventually be willing to adopt them to avoid sinning after all that is the purpose of willfully submitting to God completely so we can gain His pleasure and compassion in this world and hereafter. Right ?

As stated in the Holy Qur'an, we are supposed to follow Allah and His messenger(pbuh) both : "Say,'Obey Allah and His Messenger': But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith." (Al-Qur'an 3:32). And the prophet(pbuh) clearly asked us to perfrom Salah(5 times daily prayer) and more.

The Messenger of God Muhammad (may peace be upon him) said:
"If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any filth left on him?" The people said, "No filth would remain on him whatsoever." The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said, "That is like the five daily prayers: Allah (God) wipes away the sins by them."
The above Hadith was recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim

However, if someone is weak and cannot do those, at least they should ask Allah for help in doing those as well as for guidance and forgiveness.

God knows best. Peace.

Thank you for your reply.

If I am a Muslim I would be one who does not believe/accept in the Hadith, I would be Quran alone.
Moreover, I would likely be one who only knows the Quran in English. Further still, I am not a literalist - I believe myths and stories are conveyors of truth.

On the other hand, I can answer 'yes' to your questions above.