• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

..and not a drag queen among them.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If a teacher in my country is putting it under the banner of trans and identity, then as far as I am honestly concerned it's been accepted as part of the group. I'm going to assume she was trained in this.
That's a really weird assumption to be made about a faceless nameless teacher we know nothing about. Being a teacher doesn't mean you're educated on trans issues. We had a teacher here fired recently for showing up to a school in blackface.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a really weird assumption to be made about a faceless nameless teacher we know nothing about. Being a teacher doesn't mean you're educated on trans issues. We had a teacher here fired recently for showing up to a school in blackface.
When I did my Teaching Assistant diploma I was told, as part of the class, to be as liberal and progressive as possible, despite what we actually believe. So this kind of thing does seem to be trained into teachers at least over here.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When I did my Teaching Assistant diploma I was told, as part of the class, to be as liberal and progressive as possible, despite what we actually believe. So this kind of thing does seem to be trained into teachers at least over here.
If that's true then they should actually be educated about what liberal progressive stances are. Because trying to lump in this with being progressive and liberal the same way conservatives have been insisting that being okay with homosexuality must mean we're okay with pedophilia is not it.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
If that's true then they should actually be educated about what liberal progressive stances are. Because trying to lump in this with being progressive and liberal the same way conservatives have been insisting that being okay with homosexuality must mean we're okay with pedophilia is not it.
Well, it's difficult when the younger echelons of the trans group are trying to lump it in, and you are accused of gatekeeping if you tell them they're not trans. Teachers are far too afraid of being fired over not being progressive enough and so just accept whatever stances on identity that students take.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it's difficult when the younger echelons of the trans group are trying to lump it in, and you are accused of gatekeeping if you tell them they're not trans. Teachers are far too afraid of being fired over not being progressive enough and so just accept whatever stances on identity that students take.
Again, I'm not really seeing the trans group lumping it in, just conservatives claiming they are. And then trying to use it as a cudgel against accepting trans identities. When I was in school there were people a little too enamored with vampire fiction who identified as vampires. That doesn't detract from trans identities either because the two are unrelated. This thing is pretend therefore this other thing must also be pretend isn't a great way to approach the issue of diversity and respect in school.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, I wanted to point out nobody actually identified as a cat in this sound snippet. It was two girls arguing about a hypothetical. There was no actual cat-identified person involved. The teacher approached the conversation wrongly, I have no doubt. But once again, just like with the litter box debacle, something that didn't even happen made national news.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Again, I'm not really seeing the trans group lumping it in, just conservatives claiming they are. And then trying to use it as a cudgel against accepting trans identities. When I was in school there were people a little too enamored with vampire fiction who identified as vampires. That doesn't detract from trans identities either because the two are unrelated. This thing is pretend therefore this other thing must also be pretend isn't a great way to approach the issue of diversity and respect in school.
I do understand that this was not directed at me but I would ask, "Where do you think the vampire enthusiasts got the inspiration to claim they identified as a vampire." It is a pretty weird claim to make. My guess is that the vampire identification is similar to a "me too" type phenomena inspired by all the drama over gender identification. People, generally, do not like to be left out.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I do understand that this was not directed at me but I would ask, "Where do you think the vampire enthusiasts got the inspiration to claim they identified as a vampire." It is a pretty weird claim to make. My guess is that the vampire identification is similar to a "me too" type phenomena inspired by all the drama over gender identification. People, generally, do not like to be left out.
This was well before Me Too or before trans started being the new wedge issue. And I was in a small rural town with a 50 person graduation. These were largely kids of conservative families looking to break out of a very narrow list of ways they could express themselves. Which is pretty normal for teens. They just took an abnormal path.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This was well before Me Too or before trans started being the new wedge issue. And I was in a small rural town with a 50 person graduation. These were largely kids of conservative families looking to break out of a very narrow list of ways they could express themselves. Which is pretty normal for teens. They just took an abnormal path.
Indeed. I wasn't literally meaning the so-called "me too" movement, but was simply borrowing the term. I was meaning that the vamp kiddo's were simply exploring identity, but likely because the idea of exploring identities was already coming into use via the Gender discussions. Not related, but probably inspired by... Is that more acceptable?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, I wanted to point out nobody actually identified as a cat in this sound snippet. It was two girls arguing about a hypothetical. There was no actual cat-identified person involved. The teacher approached the conversation wrongly, I have no doubt. But once again, just like with the litter box debacle, something that didn't even happen made national news.
There was. The was a girl in the class. Not sure if you heard it right, but she does exist, that's why the teacher was so defensive.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Not so sure about that.

Back in high school (25 years ago) we had a group of kids who wore dark clothing and black makeup and stuff and they called themselves "Goths." Do you think they were influenced by "all the drama over gender identification" that is going on now? Also, it doesn't seem to me these people were afraid of being "left out" given that the way they decked themselves out made it very difficult for them to blend into a crowd.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Not so sure about that.

Back in high school (25 years ago) we had a group of kids who wore dark clothing and black makeup and stuff and they called themselves "Goths." Do you think they were influenced by "all the drama over gender identification" that is going on now? Also, it doesn't seem to me these people were afraid of being "left out" given that the way they decked themselves out made it very difficult for them to blend into a crowd.
Having been a part of the "Goth" thing, I can tell you it was inspired by the music culture of the time.

You seem to be completely missing what I am trying to say and I'm having difficulty ascertaining whether that quality is intentional. The way I am meaning this is not that the Vamp kids wanted in on the gender identity bandwagon, they just wanted their own identity so they could go, "Look at me!" I'm not saying the gender folks are saying, "Look at me!' but am almost certain that is the whole point of the vampire kids. Does that makes any sense whatsoever?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never understood the search for identity thing, not even as a teenager. Aren't you just who you are? Why are people having trouble with this?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Having been a part of the "Goth" thing, I can tell you it was inspired by the music culture of the time.
Sounds about right. Marilyn Manson (and the like) were pretty big back then.
You seem to be completely missing what I am trying to say and I'm having difficulty ascertaining whether that quality is intentional. The way I am meaning this is not that the Vamp kids wanted in on the gender identity bandwagon, they just wanted their own identity so they could go, "Look at me!" I'm not saying the gender folks are saying, "Look at me!' but am almost certain that is the whole point of the vampire kids. Does that makes any sense whatsoever?
Yes, this makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never understood the search for identity thing, not even as a teenager. Aren't you just who you are? Why are people having trouble with this?
Probably a lot of different reasons with varied levels of complication. Sometimes because they legitimately were different from their peers and wanted to find others like them with mutual experience. Others weren't all that different from their peers and felt lost in the mundane and were trying to find something they could be a part of. Some for the simple reason that tribalism forms, being part of larger group A is protection from smaller group B you feel are a threat. Some for the vastly more complicated reasons that have to do with your experiences leading you down a very lonely individual path with a unique identity.

Just like community itself, identity would have different value and significance to different people.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I kind of think the search for identity starts with one tending to follow what their mom and dad says, then in the teenage years, they start to realize that they both have beliefs like their mom and dad, and beliefs unlike them, then that continues (though quite often with less angst by that time) into adulthood.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I kind of think the search for identity starts with one tending to follow what their mom and dad says, then in the teenage years, they start to realize that they both have beliefs like their mom and dad, and beliefs unlike them, then that continues (though quite often with less angst by that time) into adulthood.
I wish there were a confused rating. Lol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don’t think politics really determines sexual predators or abusers. They are everywhere and whoever they are abhorrent.
Jesus told them to mind the splinter in their own eye first. But instead these Conservatives make a fuss amd stink and bear false witness against LGBT with their claims it involves pedophilia.
That's the point.