• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And prices keep going up

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Are you feeling it yet?

Chapter 5 : Food Security — Special Report on Climate Change and Land
MENU

SPECIAL REPORT: SPECIAL REPORT ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND LAND​

CH05​

The current food system (production, transport, processing, packaging, storage, retail, consumption, loss and waste) feeds the great majority of world population and supports the livelihoods of over 1 billion people. Since 1961, food supply per capita has increased more than 30%, accompanied by greater use of nitrogen fertilisers (increase of about 800%) and water resources for irrigation (increase of more than 100%). However, an estimated 821 million people are currently undernourished, 151 million children under five are stunted, 613 million women and girls aged 15 to 49 suffer from iron deficiency, and 2 billion adults are overweight or obese. The food system is under pressure from non-climate stressors (e.g., population and income growth, demand for animal-sourced products), and from climate change. These climate and non-climate stresses are impacting the four pillars of food security (availability, access, utilisation, and stability). {5.1.1, 5.1.2}
Observed climate change is already affecting food security through increasing temperatures, changing precipitation patterns, and greater frequency of some extreme events (high confidence). Studies that separate out climate change from other factors affecting crop yields have shown that yields of some crops (e.g., maize and wheat) in many lower-latitude regions have been affected negatively by observed climate changes, while in many higher-latitude regions, yields of some crops (e.g., maize, wheat, and sugar beets) have been affected positively over recent decades. Warming compounded by drying has caused large negative effects on yields in parts of the Mediterranean. Based on indigenous and local knowledge (ILK), climate change is affecting food security in drylands, particularly those in Africa, and high mountain regions of Asia and South America. {5.2.2}
Food security will be increasingly affected by projected future climate change (high confidence). Across Shared Socio-economic Pathways (SSPs) 1, 2, and 3, global crop and economic models projected a 1–29% cereal price increase in 2050 due to climate change (RCP 6.0), which would impact consumers globally through higher food prices; regional effects will vary (high confidence). Low-income consumers are particularly at risk, with models projecting increases of 1–183 million additional people at risk of hunger across the SSPs compared to a no climate change scenario (high confidence). While increased CO2 is projected to be beneficial for crop productivity at lower temperature increases, it is projected to lower nutritional quality (high confidence) (e.g., wheat grown at 546–586 ppm CO2 has 5.9–12.7% less protein, 3.7–6.5% less zinc, and 5.2–7.5% less iron). Distributions of pests and diseases will change, affecting production negatively in many regions (high confidence). Given increasing extreme events and interconnectedness, risks of food system disruptions are growing (high confidence). {5.2.3, 5.2.4}
I wonder if crop-dusting drones are more economical than planes? They're certainly more efficient, but I haven't heard a cost comparison.
Screenshot_20240726_195212_Facebook.jpg

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I don't feel like they are dropping at all. For instance, I just checked on airline tickets since my son is getting married out of state next year, and the prices that were, just a coupla years ago, $400 to $600 or so are now $800 to over $1100.
And I promise you the seats are smaller.
Those prices change almost hourly.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Go on a diet. Problem solved. ;)
I am tired of cutting down, cutting back, living austerely, etc. Have you flown lately? Because the seats are definitely more cramped, especially in economy. And I swear, it's like they are made to be uncomfortable.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am tired of cutting down, cutting back, living austerely, etc. Have you flown lately? Because the seats are definitely more cramped, especially in economy. And I swear, it's like they are made to be uncomfortable.

I was just joking.

Kathryn

And that is called cherry picking. Some prices go up, others go down. As the sources that you gave explained grocery prices are too volatile to measure inflation. One would have to find a means to measure spending at grocery stores over a period of time to see if there is actual inflation or not.
You really haven't noticed pricing going up? Wow.

Kathryn

And that is called cherry picking. Some prices go up, others go down. As the sources that you gave explained grocery prices are too volatile to measure inflation. One would have to find a means to measure spending at grocery stores over a period of time to see if there is actual inflation or not.
Sorry, just happened to be on my radar the other day. I am not going around shopping prices. But you honestly have not noticed that prices have gone up on just about everything?

We Never Know

No Slack
Hey, it seems like everything has gone up at least 20 percent. It's horrible.

I'm talking about per size too by the way. If the company has kept the price the same, the size seems to have diminished.
Speaking of paying more for less...

Funny thing. Just this week I bought new 20 inch wiper blades.
When changing them out I threw the old one on the hood by the new one. The new one looked a little shorter so I measured them.
Sure enough. The new ones are only 19.5 inches and cost more than last time.

The specs say 20.00 inches. So either the spec is wrong or I just happened to grab two that were manufactured poorly lol

IMG_20240727_105123.jpg

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You really haven't noticed pricing going up? Wow.

Sorry, just happened to be on my radar the other day. I am not going around shopping prices. But you honestly have not noticed that prices have gone up on just about everything?
Once again, you cannot use volatile prices for inflation. If you can cherry pick so can I. I buy fresh tomatoes quite often. In the winter I have seen them as high as $3.00 a pound. Right now fresh "tomatoes on the vine" are $1.25. I bought some yesterday. Meat has gone up over the years, but it is too hard to say if it just went up. The same applies to cheese and milk the weekly prices vary, so it is too hard to see if prices are rising or falling long term from these weekly variations. You have a political agenda that will drive you to look for inflation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
People tend to notice prices going up,
& remembering this. But prices going
down usually isn't memorable.
(Ever notice the loud complaints about
gas going up....but silence when the
price falls?)
This won't change, regardless of which
party wins in November.

We Never Know

No Slack
People tend to notice prices going up,
& remembering this. But prices going
down usually isn't memorable.
(Ever notice the loud complaints about
gas going up....but silence when the
price falls?)
This won't change, regardless of which
party wins in November.
I notice both equally.

However it seems many people are more vocal about complaining gas went up than they are vocal about being happy it went down.

Moat people hardly ever say 'Woohoo! Gas went down ten cents.
Most people will say 'well ****! Gas went up ten cents"

Kathryn

Once again, you cannot use volatile prices for inflation. If you can cherry pick so can I. I buy fresh tomatoes quite often. In the winter I have seen them as high as $3.00 a pound. Right now fresh "tomatoes on the vine" are $1.25. I bought some yesterday. Meat has gone up over the years, but it is too hard to say if it just went up. The same applies to cheese and milk the weekly prices vary, so it is too hard to see if prices are rising or falling long term from these weekly variations. You have a political agenda that will drive you to look for inflation.
So you don't really notice inflation is above what is healthy for an economy. Gotcha.