• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And prices keep going up

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I

Well if it's under the premise of the ecosystem/climate, my thought was to go with field rotation.

It's not done that often anymore because of the cost of heavy machinery. This is a concern because good topsoil is gradually being eroded.

metis

I just got back from the grocery store. Lord have mercy.

One of the byproducts of covid as we went from lockdown to full blast in a short period of time. However, the rate is dropping as recently reported.

metis

Prices do not seem to be dropping.

They are but don't hold your breath: U.S. Inflation Rate by Year: 1929 to 2024

What Is the Inflation for Each Year?​

An average rate of inflation can be calculated for each year:

• In 2023, the average rate of inflation was 4.1%.
  • In 2022, the average rate of inflation was 8.0%.
  • In 2021, the average rate of inflation was 4.7%.
  • In 2020, the average rate of inflation was 1.2%.6

3.0%

The latest year-on-year inflation rate before seasonal adjustment as of June 2024.7
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “CONSUMER PRICE INDEX."

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
That's because they are not dropping. Your eyes do not deceive you as I see it myself as well.
I don't feel like they are dropping at all. For instance, I just checked on airline tickets since my son is getting married out of state next year, and the prices that were, just a coupla years ago, $400 to $600 or so are now $800 to over $1100.
And I promise you the seats are smaller.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't feel like they are dropping at all. For instance, I just checked on airline tickets since my son is getting married out of state next year, and the prices that were, just a coupla years ago, $400 to $600 or so are now $800 to over $1100.
And I promise you the seats are smaller.
Yep calked shrinkflation and planned obsolescence.

I just had a vehicle service recently for a simple radiator replacement and an oil cooler and I was leveled with a $3,600 charge!

They also levied another $300 just to drill out a bolt just because they said they had to go through the dashboard bringing the final bill to almost 4 grand.

Nothing will ever go down from this point forward.

It makes me wonder what a simple loaf of bread will cost in the next 10 years provide I live a long enough to see it.

Kathryn

Yep calked shrinkflation and planned obsolescence.

I just had a vehicle service recently for a simple radiator replacement and an oil cooler and I was leveled with a $3,600 charge!

They also levied another $300 just to drill out a boat because they said they had to go through the dashboard.

Nothing will ever go down from this point forward.

It makes me wonder what a simple loaf of bread will cost in the next 10 years provide I live a long enough to see it.
I feel your pain. I just moved a few months ago, and I've had to do all sorts of things, expensive, VERY EXPENSIVE things to the house. I finally just had to quit for awhile.

Twilight Hue

I feel your pain. I just moved a few months ago, and I've had to do all sorts of things, expensive, VERY EXPENSIVE things to the house. I finally just had to quit for awhile.
Yeah that took out a significant amount of my savings. Now which I have to make up for.

Needless to say, I'm going to be looking for another service that can handle my vehicle.

I can't just imagine what moving and infrastructure costs are now for folks. I'm almost too scared to look.

Kathryn

Yeah that took out a significant amount of my savings. Now which I have to make up for.

Needless to say, I'm going to be looking for another service that can handle my vehicle.

I can't just imagine what moving and infrastructure costs are now for folks. I'm almost too scared to look.
It's truly awful. I mean, truly.

Twilight Hue

And yet we have people around that deny it.

It's a reason why I gauge things first hand with my own eyes and experience rather than go by second hand opinions and accounts from people in different areas who think differently as to what I am seeing for myself firsthand with my own eyes....and wallet.

Twilight Hue

It's a reason why I gauge things first hand with my own eyes and experience rather than go by second hand opinions and accounts from people in different areas who think differently as to what I am seeing for myself firsthand with my own eyes....and wallet.

I'm just relieved in the sense that it's just not me seeing this going on , and other people are seeing it as well. I guess you could say misery loves company.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Prices do not seem to be dropping.
They won't. That would not be an end to inflation, that would be deflation. When inflation ends the prices will not drop. They will not go back to the old prices. Trust me, you do not want that. Deflation occurs in only the worst of times. If inflation were to end 100% today the prices would stay as they are now forever.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

No, you have people around trying to teach you basic economics and reality. The pandemic was not Biden's fault, it was not even Trump's fault. But that is what caused the latest round of inflation. Not only our government, but every first world government in the world was spending money to keep the economy going during the pandemic. The inflation in the US was less than elsewhere around the world. I do not like it, you do not like it, but it is a fact of life. Inflation is the not so hidden tax which we have to pay for that spending.

Kathryn

They won't. That would not be an end to inflation, that would be deflation. When inflation ends the prices will not drop. They will not go back to the old prices. Trust me, you do not want that. Deflation occurs in only the worst of times. If inflation were to end 100% today the prices would stay as they are now forever.
I never said I wanted prices to drop. I just want them to stop going up. I mean, they are STILL going up and up and up, faster than the rate of inflation. It's insane.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, I did give at least two very specific examples. Ugh.
And that is called cherry picking. Some prices go up, others go down. As the sources that you gave explained grocery prices are too volatile to measure inflation. One would have to find a means to measure spending at grocery stores over a period of time to see if there is actual inflation or not.