• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And prices keep going up

amorphous_constellation

In my state, and this is a "state's rights issue" the price of eggs went up a bit because all eggs in Washington, and at least nine other states now, have to be "Cage Free". In other words the abuse of chickens is being limited.
I think that all food price problems probably are a zoning management problem, and it's not clear to me that the cage-free thing makes a huge difference for prices in contrast to not expanding land allocation as we experience more human population growth. We shouldn't be putting these big suburbs on prime farming land here in the midwest, where the HOAs probably prevent these places from having gardens etc.

amorphous_constellation

If millions of people can’t afford the basics, that means your economy no longer serves the people, and your government has failed to protect your interests. But as I understand it, most Americans believe in free markets and don’t trust big government, so you get what you pays for…
Big government can like free markets to, I don't follow what you are saying

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Ya'd think that.
Until you encounter people goof fer nuthin....& worse (eg, thieves).
They are out there.

It is funny, but being a thief is one of the highest risk, lowest reward occupations a person can have. And people still do it as if it is the bestest thing ever.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I just got back from the grocery store. Lord have mercy.
The price of responding to my posts has goin up 567% from nothing to zero. And in just 4 years.

But I do agree, especially food costs have become and remain a serious dent in the purse. I'm glad I'm not feeding a couple of teenage boys. They could bankrupt you trying to keep up with those appetites.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No kidding.
I recall many years ago, some economist calculated the hourly wage for non-traditional jobs and thief pulled in something like a couple of bucks an hour. Can't recall if risk or lost wages from incarceration was factored into that or not. You would be better off mowing lawns or slinging burgers. Some of that even has benefits that a thieving doesn't.

Probably, that and the morality of it has kept me on the straight and narrow. Good thing for you too. Since I have a peculiar affinity for machines.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I recall many years ago, some economist calculated the hourly wage for non-traditional jobs and thief pulled in something like a couple of bucks an hour. Can't recall if risk or lost wages from incarceration was factored into that or not. You would be better off mowing lawns or slinging burgers. Some of that even has benefits that a thieving doesn't.

Probably, that and the morality of it has kept me on the straight and narrow. Good thing for you too. Since I have a peculiar affinity for machines.
I buy, trade, & sell machines.
Better than stealing & losing to theft.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You're in luck. I like machines, but I don't steal. Yours are safe from me.

The risk would be too great to steal from a greased-up Scottish groundskeeper.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Imagine the site you would see with a rabbit riding off on one of your tractors, steering with some waldos cobbled together from table legs and screen door springs. That would be something. A site like that has probably become cost prohibitive due to inflation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Imagine the site you would see with a rabbit riding off on one of your tractors, steering with some waldos cobbled together from table legs and screen door springs. That would be something. A site like that has probably become cost prohibitive due to inflation.
I no longer own any tractors.
I do have 2 forklifts though.
Downsizing to one.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
One is the workhorse, a modern 5,000# Caterpillar.
The other is a late 1940s Towmotor. It must go.

I know many people who don't have a forklift.
How on Earth do they get by, eh.
There have been times when one would have been useful to me. Not enough to consider owning one, but wishing for a friend in close proximity that had one.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They are. Ironically the article where @Twilight Hue quoted the wrong price also pointed out that when it was written in 2023 that the price had dropped even that year.

In my state, and this is a "state's rights issue" the price of eggs went up a bit because all eggs in Washington, and at least nine other states now, have to be "Cage Free". In other words the abuse of chickens is being limited. Hey! Maybe we could get dry cleaning costs lowered if we allowed child labor again. Dang Big Brother government, trying to do the right thing!
Wrong price? Your full of the usual b*******. No surprise there.

I know what the prices were and what the prices are now directly in my area, plus if you were actually attentive you would notice that those are estimates for which the prices are averaged.

Try again.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think that all food price problems probably are a zoning management problem, and it's not clear to me that the cage-free thing makes a huge difference for prices in contrast to not expanding land allocation as we experience more human population growth. We shouldn't be putting these big suburbs on prime farming land here in the midwest, where the HOAs probably prevent these places from having gardens etc.
Let's put it this way somebody somewhere is completely responsible for how prices are set.

Its one of those things where the meatball runs downhill, the guy at top makes it expensive and all the others have to follow suit by making things expensive themselves.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ya'd think that.
Until you encounter people goof fer nuthin....& worse (eg, thieves).

That doesn't have anything to do with skilled or unskilled, though. It's more a matter of moral character and work ethic. There are unskilled people who are honest and work their butts off, while there are skilled people who are low-lifes who will rip you off or get drunk on duty (or maybe worse).

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The price of responding to my posts has goin up 567% from nothing to zero. And in just 4 years.

But I do agree, especially food costs have become and remain a serious dent in the purse. I'm glad I'm not feeding a couple of teenage boys. They could bankrupt you trying to keep up with those appetites.
You aren't kidding. No pun intended.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's put it this way somebody somewhere is completely responsible for how prices are set.

Its one of those things where the meatball runs downhill, the guy at top makes it expensive and all the others have to follow suit by making things expensive themselves.
Are you feeling it yet?

Chapter 5 : Food Security — Special Report on Climate Change and Land
MENU

SPECIAL REPORT: SPECIAL REPORT ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND LAND​

CH05​

The current food system (production, transport, processing, packaging, storage, retail, consumption, loss and waste) feeds the great majority of world population and supports the livelihoods of over 1 billion people. Since 1961, food supply per capita has increased more than 30%, accompanied by greater use of nitrogen fertilisers (increase of about 800%) and water resources for irrigation (increase of more than 100%). However, an estimated 821 million people are currently undernourished, 151 million children under five are stunted, 613 million women and girls aged 15 to 49 suffer from iron deficiency, and 2 billion adults are overweight or obese. The food system is under pressure from non-climate stressors (e.g., population and income growth, demand for animal-sourced products), and from climate change. These climate and non-climate stresses are impacting the four pillars of food security (availability, access, utilisation, and stability). {5.1.1, 5.1.2}
Observed climate change is already affecting food security through increasing temperatures, changing precipitation patterns, and greater frequency of some extreme events (high confidence). Studies that separate out climate change from other factors affecting crop yields have shown that yields of some crops (e.g., maize and wheat) in many lower-latitude regions have been affected negatively by observed climate changes, while in many higher-latitude regions, yields of some crops (e.g., maize, wheat, and sugar beets) have been affected positively over recent decades. Warming compounded by drying has caused large negative effects on yields in parts of the Mediterranean. Based on indigenous and local knowledge (ILK), climate change is affecting food security in drylands, particularly those in Africa, and high mountain regions of Asia and South America. {5.2.2}
Food security will be increasingly affected by projected future climate change (high confidence). Across Shared Socio-economic Pathways (SSPs) 1, 2, and 3, global crop and economic models projected a 1–29% cereal price increase in 2050 due to climate change (RCP 6.0), which would impact consumers globally through higher food prices; regional effects will vary (high confidence). Low-income consumers are particularly at risk, with models projecting increases of 1–183 million additional people at risk of hunger across the SSPs compared to a no climate change scenario (high confidence). While increased CO2 is projected to be beneficial for crop productivity at lower temperature increases, it is projected to lower nutritional quality (high confidence) (e.g., wheat grown at 546–586 ppm CO2 has 5.9–12.7% less protein, 3.7–6.5% less zinc, and 5.2–7.5% less iron). Distributions of pests and diseases will change, affecting production negatively in many regions (high confidence). Given increasing extreme events and interconnectedness, risks of food system disruptions are growing (high confidence). {5.2.3, 5.2.4}