• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And prices keep going up

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So what, is that it's frustrating to attempt to converse with someone who, when asked to elaborate upon their post, refuses to do so and says they "don't care." It's frustrating for someone who is trying to engage in a debate/conversation with that person.
I don't do that till I actually don't care anymore, and then why would I keep discussing something I don't actually care about?

Kathryn

Look. Prices keep going up. Inflation is a problem. What's so scary about discussing it?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Karen is a slang term typically used to refer to a middle-class white American woman who is perceived as entitled or excessively demanding." Karen (slang) - Wikipedia

Whenever I see a Karen meme show up, it's usually something like "I want to speak to the manager" or "Do you know who my husband is?" It's more like people trying to game the system to get special consideration or wheedle some kind of discount or refund they may not deserve. They play a game of "winning through intimidation" as they might focus their wrath on some poor kid working behind a counter, still naive and unaware of the dangers they face from Karen.

Kathryn

LOL and I don't have a husband (and don't want one, except the one I had), and I literally never ask to speak to the manager.

Laniakea

Not of this world
I just left Kroger and my eyes popped at the price of eggs. 12 count for $3 and 18 count is $4.39 now! And that's just generic regular eggs!
With no Avian Flu outbreak going on right now, it makes one wonder why this current increase is happening. At my stores, the prices rose very quickly as if something big suddenly happened. One week, it was $1.19, next week was $1.79, and then it was $2.74 the following week. They seem to have stopped rising since then. I decided I'm not paying that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, I have never worked harder than I worked while on those so called "unskilled" jobs. I had go to school and take a test and get a license to stick a needle in someone's arm. That involves way less skill than construction, it's even less than food service where lots of things get juggled around at once.
But I'd personally love to see a McDonald's executive trying to work in the kitchen next to their "unskilled" workforce. It would be hilarious watching them stumble around amd have wait times they'd want heads over if it were regular employees.
Reminds me of that unrealistic reality show Undercover Boss.

Kathryn

With no Avian Flu outbreak going on right now, it makes one wonder why this current increase is happening. At my stores, the prices rose very quickly as if something big suddenly happened. One week, it was $1.19, next week was $1.79, and then it was $2.74 the following week. They seem to have stopped rising since then. I decided I'm not paying that.
You know what - I just want a cup of coffee with the store brand creamer I use in the morning, and honestly, I don't think that's too much to ask but I swear I need to at least say something to someone about it. Not sure who though.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Whenever I see a Karen meme show up, it's usually something like "I want to speak to the manager" or "Do you know who my husband is?" It's more like people trying to game the system to get special consideration or wheedle some kind of discount or refund they may not deserve. They play a game of "winning through intimidation" as they might focus their wrath on some poor kid working behind a counter, still naive and unaware of the dangers they face from Karen.

The main and most remarkable part though is that Karen feels entitled to stuff and has no shame to demand it through whatever means are available to her. Calling the cops, the manager, etc. is just a way to try to achieve what she wants.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yes, exactly. Anyone who has worked in retail or customer service knows this type. They love whining and *****ing their way to discounts they neither are eligible for or need.

Kathryn

No, it is not.
It's very similar however. I am not an upper middle class or middle class woman. I can't control what color my skin is. I am not entitled nor do I even know who the manager is and I never ask for him or her anyway, nor am I excessively demanding. You misused the word. Oh well. (I don't have a hair cut anything like a Karens either for that matter.) From the article you brought up:
"Other stereotypes include anti-vaccination beliefs, racism, excessive use of Facebook, and a particular type of bob hairstyle with blonde highlights."

I had multiple vaccinations, four biracial kids, I don't use FB much, and I don't have a drop of blonde in my hair, nor do I have a bob hairstyle for that matter.

Kathryn

Out of all things you could have mentioned you picked creamer as your example...
Creamer...
Really?
Yes, I don't buy that much stuff and it jumped out at me as many price hikes do. My gosh, from 3.49 to 5.09 in about a week or even less. You know why? Because I am already thrifty - I don't want to become moreso. I just want a cup of coffee with store brand creamer in it, in the mornings, not four or five, just ONE. So no, I don't feel guilty about noticing it or pointing it out, among other things I, and others, have been pointing out.