• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And prices keep going up

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics..

"Level 1 work is characterized as unskilled labor requiring no previous experience or consisting of routine tasks for which little training is required. Level 2 and 3 work require knowledge of basic operations which typically require some training or experience."

Yes, although that doesn't mean they lack skills. Every employer in America might expect a certain minimal skill set based on what one should receive from an average high school education.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You know what I mean. I mean, I guess if you want to call "show up for work sort of on time" a skill, I guess it is. If you want to call "smile occasionally at the customer and stay off your phone on company time" a skill, I guess you can.
Yeah, I have never worked harder than I worked while on those so called "unskilled" jobs. I had go to school and take a test and get a license to stick a needle in someone's arm. That involves way less skill than construction, it's even less than food service where lots of things get juggled around at once.
But I'd personally love to see a McDonald's executive trying to work in the kitchen next to their "unskilled" workforce. It would be hilarious watching them stumble around amd have wait times they'd want heads over if it were regular employees.

Shadow Wolf

Not unskilled and yes fit is a skill.
I don't really see it as a skill. There's are many different things you can do to get fit, but being fit isn't a skill but a state of being. Such as, some people who are fit run. Some are acrobats. Some swim. Thkse are individual skills and they wouldn't carry over well to the other skills.
There's also a genetic aspect of it. Such as how I was deemed not fit for military service over my shins and knees. That sort of fit isn't a skill, it's just what you're born with.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Yeah, I have never worked harder than I worked while on those so called "unskilled" jobs. I had go to school and take a test and get a license to stick a needle in someone's arm.
Hey, you had to go to school and take a test and get a license, and you couldn't pay me enough money to stick a needle in anyone's arm but I am glad you went to school to do so.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I gave you two.
-Walmart greeter who does nothing but smile and say hello. Even gave you and example of what a worker said.
-Shoveling crap out of barn stalls. You insinuated being fit was a skill.

Now I refer you to post #132. That's the end of this discussion for me.
I've already countered both of them.

Shadow Wolf

There are.
I've hired some.
I won't anymore.
Too much trouble.
More like not the skills you're looking for. When I was labeled "unskilled" I had already done some freelance coding work. Awhile ago I applied for a mechanic job, I was deemed "unskilled" in the field despite my experience.
"Unskilled" is more just an assumption than a reality.

Shadow Wolf

Good because it's already more expensive here than in Texas but maybe the summer prices have hit there too, I don't know.
Everytime I've drove from here to Indiana or the other way, gas is always cheaper in every state in between. I don't know why, but Indiana and Ohio have always had pricey gas.

Shadow Wolf

Hey, you had to go to school and take a test and get a license, and you couldn't pay me enough money to stick a needle in anyone's arm but I am glad you went to school to do so.
But not for roofing, which is more dangerous and also needs good skill to get a good result that seals things up. If you can't cut in a straight line then anything with a saw isn't for you.

Shadow Wolf

Oh well, at least I don't have to drive to work anymore.
Where I'm at now, I consider it a perk that it's only about a half mile away anf I cam comfortably walk to work when the sun isn't gonna cook me.
I usually have to drive for miles to get for work, or have work that involves alot of driving. It's nice when you don't.

Kathryn

That sounds sooo Karen.
Sorry, it's just the truth. I AM 62 years old. I DON'T want to try new things or suddenly become more thrifty. I DO want inflation to slow down.
I do now. Sadly.

And aren't you a ****ing ray of sunshine. Smh

There is more to ANY job then that, including customer service, clerk, McDonald's worker or whatever else you are so entitled, you think you can call them unskilled.
I know that when I was fifteen, I worked in fast food. I wasn't very skilled but I could do that! I am a lot more skilled now. And I probably couldn't get hired at a fast food joint because of those added skills. Doesn't mean I look down on them.

By the way, it's all in what we call people I guess. So "low wage labor."

Kathryn

You haven't though. I showed you your words that I was responding to. I asked you to clarify and explain what you mean. Then you said you didn't say what you did. And you just decided not to respond. And said you don't care.

This is exactly how my last conversation went with you. And the one before that.
LOL well I really DON'T care. And I'm sorry but I have real life going on so sometimes I do disappear. That being said, I don't ever say I didn't say what I said.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I don't really see it as a skill. There's are many different things you can do to get fit, but being fit isn't a skill but a state of being. Such as, some people who are fit run. Some are acrobats. Some swim. Thkse are individual skills and they wouldn't carry over well to the other skills.
There's also a genetic aspect of it. Such as how I was deemed not fit for military service over my shins and knees. That sort of fit isn't a skill, it's just what you're born with.
And outside of the genetic component the rest can be taught (like a skill)

Hence why fitness is a military skill and requirement.