• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Animal killing

MSizer

MSizer
Though if someone really did want you round for dinner surely they would make sure what they served you had no meat or products made from animals in it?

I mean it doesn't take much effort to check if ingredients are suitable for vegetarian or not.

Sadly not so. There was a restaurant which some of my family used to frequent, and my wife and I wanted to join the family but they literally had no vegetarian dishes. So one day I called the restaurant and explained that I'd be a regular customer if they would just put one vegetarian dish on the menu, or would serve us a vegetarian dish even without making it a regular menu item. The girl on the phone took the message and said she'd let the owner know. He called back a few days later and said:

"Mr. Sizer, we'd love to have you and your wife as customers, and we'd be happy to accomodate your dietary concerns. We could have our chef do up a nice chicken parmignana. How would that sound?"

I'm not making that up. That was a restaurant owner who said that to me. I simply said "ok thanks" but just never bothered going.

MSizer

MSizer
Of course it is subjective. I mean if you were giving the choice of saving a human life or another animal life which would you choose? I would choose the human life personally...

That's a fallacious argument. It doesn't prove that human life is more valuable, nor does it prove we're morally subjective. If you were given the choice of saving 1 human life or 10, which would you choose? 10? So what about the 1? Does his/her human life equal any less than that of the 10 you choose to save? There are other factors in your argument which you don't address.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Sadly not so. There was a restaurant which some of my family used to frequent, and my wife and I wanted to join the family but they literally had no vegetarian dishes. So one day I called the restaurant and explained that I'd be a regular customer if they would just put one vegetarian dish on the menu, or would serve us a vegetarian dish even without making it a regular menu item. The girl on the phone took the message and said she'd let the owner know. He called back a few days later and said:

"Mr. Sizer, we'd love to have you and your wife as customers, and we'd be happy to accomodate your dietary concerns. We could have our chef do up a nice chicken parmignana. How would that sound?"

I'm not making that up. That was a restaurant owner who said that to me. I simply said "ok thanks" but just never bothered going.

That just seems the height of stupidity.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have a friend who is much better at recycling then I am. Is he morally superior to me in this area. Yes he is! In all areas no! Being a vegatarian means you use less and have a smaller carbon footprint. So in this respect it is a morally superior choice.
That is a better point that people can relate to much more than claims of the value of cattle life, or inherit spirituality, or other highly subjective religious or philosophical beliefs, beliefs which there is no reason to expect other people to relate to.
that being said, I hold that a moderate path can be more realistic in which people do not give up eating meat all together, but adopt a more ecologically approach applied through their diet, such as buying local food and seasonal food products and yes considering reducing meat consumption.

I believe that Nelson Mandela eats meat, would it not be absurd for me to see my self an his moral superior. We all should do our little part to be a better person. For some that means being a vegatarian for others it might be a different moral discipline.
Point taken.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

"Mr. Sizer, we'd love to have you and your wife as customers, and we'd be happy to accommodate your dietary concerns. We could have our chef do up a nice chicken parmignana. How would that sound?"

I was told once in Alaska (Sarah Palins home town) at a dinner party. I am a vegetarian also. I eat only Moose and Salmon.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
It indeed in every way applies directly to me, so there was no ignorant assumption.
Please show me where I said it was you. I really hate it when people put words in my mouth and tell me what I mean.

MSizer

MSizer
Please show me where I said it was you. I really hate it when people put words in my mouth and tell me what I mean.

I didn't claim you said it was me. I'm telling you that I am a person who is overtly a moral vegetarian, and as far as I can tell on this forum I am the most vocal about it.

I do not go out of my way to point it out. I occasionally state it if I think it happens to be applicable to a thread, and I defend it when challenged.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I didn't claim you said it was me. I'm telling you that I am a person who is overtly a moral vegetarian, and as far as I can tell on this forum I am the most vocal about it.
That maybe so. But that doesn't mean it was said towards you, which is what you claimed it was.

MSizer

MSizer
That maybe so. But that doesn't mean it was said towards you, which is what you claimed it was.

Now the burden of proof is on you my friend. I made no such claim, nor did I ever think it. I stated, and I stand behind it, that it applies directly to me. I did not say you directed it "at me", nor did I think that was the case.

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
MSizer,
Ever read "The Secret Life of Plants" by Peter Tompkins & Christopher Bird?
Very interesting even if only from a Gardening or Health point of view.