• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another irrefutable proof that God created all things using mathematical induction. And a proof that The Bible is the word of God.

joelr

I put them in order for you,
Jesus' Death in Luke

Luke’s account is also very interesting, thoughtful, and moving, but
it is very different indeed (Luke 23:26—49). It is not just that there
are discrepancies in some of their details; the differences are bigger
than that. They affect the very way the story is told and, as a result,
the way the story is to be interpreted.

In Luke as in Mark, Jesus is betrayed by Judas, denied by Peter,
rejected by the Jewish leaders, and condemned by Pontius Pilate,
but he is not mocked and beaten by Pilate’s soldiers. Only Luke tells
the story of Pilate trying to get King Herod of Galilee—the son of
the King Herod from the birth stories—to deal with Jesus, and it is
Herod’s soldiers who mock Jesus before Pilate finds him guilty. This
is a discrepancy, but it doesn’t affect the overall reading of the differ¬
ence between the two accounts that I’m highlighting here.

In Luke, Jesus is taken off to be executed, and Simon of Cyrene is
compelled to carry his cross. But Jesus is not silent on the way to his
crucifixion. En route he sees a number of women wailing over what
is happening to him, and he turns to them and says, “Daughters of
Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your
children” (Luke 23:28). He goes on to prophesy the coming destruc¬
tion that they will face. Jesus does not appear to be in shock over
what is happening to him. He is more concerned with others around
him than with his own fate.

Moreover, Jesus is not silent while being nailed to the cross, as
in Mark. Instead he prays, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t
know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34). 2 Jesus appears to have
close communion with God and is concerned more for those who
are doing this to him than for himself. Jesus is mocked by the
Jewish leaders and the Roman soldiers, but explicitly not by both
men being crucified with him, unlike in Mark. Instead, one of
them mocks Jesus but the other rebukes the first for doing so, in¬
sisting that whereas they deserve what they are getting, Jesus has
done nothing wrong (remember that Luke stresses Jesus’ complete
innocence). He then asks of Jesus, “Remember me when you come
into your kingdom.” And Jesus gives the compelling reply, “Truly
I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (23:42—43). In
this account Jesus is not at all confused about what is happening to
him or why. He is completely calm and in control of the situation;
he knows what is about to occur, and he knows what will happen
afterward: he will wake up in God’s paradise, and this criminal
will be there with him. This is a far cry from the Jesus of Mark,
who felt forsaken to the end.

Darkness comes over the land and the Temple curtain is ripped
while Jesus is still alive, in contrast to Mark. Here the torn curtain
must not indicate that Jesus’ death brings atonement—since he has
not died yet. Instead it shows that his death is “the hour of darkness,”
as he says earlier in the Gospel (23:53), and it marks the judgment of
God against the Jewish people. The ripped curtain here appears to
indicate that God is rejecting the Jewish system of worship, symbol¬
ized by the Temple.
Most significant of all, rather than uttering a cry expressing his
sense of total abandonment at the end (“Why have you forsaken
me?”), in Luke, Jesus prays to God in a loud voice, saying, “Father
into your hands I commend my spirit.” He then breathes his last and
dies (23:46). This is not a Jesus who feels forsaken by God and won¬
ders why he is going through this pain of desertion and death. It is a
Jesus who feels God’s presence with him and is comforted by the fact
that God is on his side. He is fully cognizant of what is happening
to him and why, and he commits himself to the loving care of his
then confirms what Jesus himself knew full well, “Surely this man
was innocent.”

It is hard to stress strongly enough the differences between these
two portrayals of Jesus’ death. Earlier I pointed out that scholars
have sometimes suggested that Mark’s account was written in part
to provide hope for those suffering persecution, to let them know
that, appearances notwithstanding, God was at work behind suffer¬
ing to achieve his redemptive purposes. What might Luke’s purpose
have been in modifying Mark’s account, so that Jesus no longer dies
in agony and despair?

Some critical interpreters have suggested that Luke may also be
writing for Christians experiencing persecution, but his message
to those suffering for the faith is different from Mark’s. Rather
than stressing that God is at work behind the scenes, even though
it doesn’t seem like it, Luke may be showing Christians a model of
how they, too, can suffer—like Jesus, the perfect martyr, who goes
to his death confident of his own innocence, assured of God’s pal¬
pable presence in his life, calm and in control of the situation, know¬
ing that suffering is necessary for the rewards of Paradise and that
it will soon be over, leading to a blessed existence in the life to come.
The two authors may be addressing similar situations, but they are
conveying very different messages, both about how Jesus died and
about how his followers can face persecution.

The Payoff

The problem comes when readers take these two accounts and com¬
bine them into one overarching account, in which Jesus says, does,
and experiences everything narrated in both Gospels. When that is
done, the messages of both Mark and Luke get completely lost and
glossed over. Jesus is no longer in deep agony, as in Mark (since he is
confident as in Luke), and he is no longer calm and in control as in
Luke (since he is in despair as in Mark). He is somehow all things at
once. Also, his words mean something different now, since he utters
the sayings of both. When readers then throw both Matthew and
John into the mix, they get an even more confused and conflated
portrayal of Jesus, imagining wrongly that they have constructed
the events as they really happened. To approach the stories in this
way is to rob each author of his own integrity as an author and to
deprive him of the meaning that he conveys in his story.

This is how readers over the years have come up with the famous
“seven last words of the dying Jesus”—by taking what he says at his
death in all four Gospels, mixing them together, and imagining that
in their combination they now have the full story. This interpretive
move does not give the full story. It gives a fifth story, a story that
is completely unlike any of the canonical four, a fifth story that in
effect rewrites the Gospels, producing a fifth Gospel. This is per¬
fectly fine to do if that’s what you want—it’s a free country, and no
one can stop you. But for historical critics, this is not the best way to
approach the Gospels.

My overarching point is that the Gospels, and all the books of the
Bible, are distinct and should not be read as if they are all saying the
same thing. They are decidedly not saying the same thing—even
when talking about the same subject (say, Jesus’ death). Mark is dif¬
ferent from Luke, and Matthew is different from John, as you can
see by doing your own horizontal reading of their respective stories
of the crucifixion. The historical approach to the Gospels allows each
author’s voice to be heard and refuses to conflate them into some
kind of mega-Gospel that flattens the emphases of each one.

Yup, your "mega-gospel" completely flattens each story, contradicts them and mocks the writing. In order to fix contradictions you have to make a ridiculous story where angels are introduced, then again, events are switched around, muddled, the narrative is a mess and you didn't answer certain questions.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There were at least 4 angels,
No where does any of the 4 gospels say there was ONLY 1 angel or 2 angels.
So, no contradiction there.
No where in the 4 gospels does it say that is was ONLY these women.
So, no contradiction there.
You really don't know what you're talking about, much preferring to invent stories so to try and make the four Gospels consistent. I left the church I grew up in for such distinguish tactics.

As just one example, here's the Matthew account:
[1]Now after the sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Mag'dalene and the other Mary went to see the sepulchre.
[2] And behold, there was a great earthquake; for
an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone, and sat upon it.
[3] His appearance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow.
[4] And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men.
[5] But the angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid; for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.
[6] He is not here; for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay.
[7] Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and behold, he is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him. Lo, I have told you."
[8] So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.
[9] And behold, Jesus met them and said, "Hail!" And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.
[10] Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see me.

There are no other angels mentioned.

SavedByTheLord

Because a passage does not give all the details does not mean they did not happen.
That is why there are 4 accounts. I put them in order for you.

9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week …. - Mark 16:9

2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. - Matt 28:2-4

1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. - John 20:1

1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. - Luke 24:1
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. - Matthew 28:1
1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. - Mark 16:1-2

3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre? - Mark 16:3
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. - Luke 24:2
4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great. - Mark 16:1-4

5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. - Matthew 28:5-7

3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. - Luke 24:3
5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. - Mark 16:5-6
7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you. - Mark 16:7

4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
8 And they remembered his words, - Luke 28:4-8

8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. - Matt 28:8
8 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid. - Mark 16:8

9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. - Luke 24:9

2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre. - John 20:2-3
12 Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass. - Luke 24:12
4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead. - John 20:4-9

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. - John 20:11-17

9… he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. - Mark 16:9

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her. - John 20:18

9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me. - Matt 28:9-10

9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.
10 It was Mary Magdalene and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not. - Luke 24:9-11

10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.
11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not. - Mark 16:10-11

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home. - John 20:10

11 Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.
14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day. - Matt 28:11-15

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them. - Mark 16:12-13

Luke 24:13-35
Mark 16:14
Luke 24:36-49
John 20:9-24

John 20:25-31

John 21

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. - Matt 28:16-20

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:15-18

Acts 1:1-11

50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. - Luke 24:50-51

19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. - Mark 16:19

12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. - Acts 1:12
52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen. - Luke 24:52-53
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. - Mark 16:20

metis

Because a passage does not give all the details does not mean they did not happen.
That is why there are 4 accounts. I put them in order for you.

9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week …. - Mark 16:9

2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. - Matt 28:2-4

1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. - John 20:1

1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. - Luke 24:1
1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. - Matthew 28:1
1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. - Mark 16:1-2

3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre? - Mark 16:3
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. - Luke 24:2
4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great. - Mark 16:1-4

5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. - Matthew 28:5-7

3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. - Luke 24:3
5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him. - Mark 16:5-6
7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you. - Mark 16:7

4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
8 And they remembered his words, - Luke 28:4-8

8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. - Matt 28:8
8 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid. - Mark 16:8

9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. - Luke 24:9

2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre. - John 20:2-3
12 Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass. - Luke 24:12
4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead. - John 20:4-9

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. - John 20:11-17

9… he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. - Mark 16:9

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her. - John 20:18

9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me. - Matt 28:9-10

9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.
10 It was Mary Magdalene and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not. - Luke 24:9-11

10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.
11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not. - Mark 16:10-11

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home. - John 20:10

11 Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.
14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day. - Matt 28:11-15

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them. - Mark 16:12-13

Luke 24:13-35
Mark 16:14
Luke 24:36-49
John 20:9-24

John 20:25-31

John 21

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. - Matt 28:16-20

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:15-18

Acts 1:1-11

50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. - Luke 24:50-51

19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. - Mark 16:19

12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. - Acts 1:12
52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen. - Luke 24:52-53
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen. - Mark 16:20
The above makes 0 sense as combining all the citations doesn't change the angel count that clearly differs from gospel to gospel.

SavedByTheLord

The above makes 0 sense as combining all the citations doesn't change the angel count that clearly differs from gospel to gospel.
There is no statement that there was only 1 angel or 2 angels in any of the 4 gospel accounts.
So no contradiction at all,

joelr

There is no statement that there was only 1 angel or 2 angels in any of the 4 gospel accounts.
First it's been done:

Synopsis of the Four Gospels, Revised Standard Version​

It's not any gospel, you have created a 5th frankenstein gospel which makes little sense.
They see an angel, it tells them not to be afraid and Jesus has risen, then they do it all again with more angels, and the new angels also tell them to not fear, Jesus has risen???? Ridiculous.
On the third day after Jesus’ death, the women go to the tomb to anoint his body for burial. And whom do they see there? Do they
see a man, as Mark says, or two men (Luke), or an angel (Matthew)? This is normally reconciled by saying that the women actually saw
“two angels.” That can explain everything else—why Matthew says they saw an angel (he mentions only one of the two angels, but
doesn’t deny there was a second), why Mark says it was a man (the angels appeared to be men, even though they were angels, and Mark
mentions only one of them without denying there was a second), and why Luke says it was two men (since the angels appeared to be
men). The problem is that this kind of reconciling again requires one to assert that what really happened is unlike what any of the Gospels say—since none of the three accounts states that the women saw “two angels.” ?

Almost every story has discrepencies. The genealogy in Luke and Matthew is different. How would Jesus even be related to Joseph? The curtain is still ripped at different times. Jesus dies at different times as well.

metis

You gotta be kidding! I just showed you the Matthew citation that mentions there was "1". It seems that your approach to "diving inspiration" only applies to what you want something to be.

SavedByTheLord

You gotta be kidding! I just showed you the Matthew citation that mentions there was "1". It seems that your approach to "diving inspiration" only applies to what you want something to be.
And I showed that none say only 1 or only 2.
So that means there is no contradiction,

Rational Agnostic

Another irrefutable proof that God created all things using mathematical induction. And a proof that The Bible is the word of God.

The following proves that God Almighty is the Creator of all things.

Suppose that you had never seen a modern cell phone or knew of its existence. You find such a device. An examination of its incredible uses and how intricately it was made would prove the existence of the intelligent makers of that phone. Now consider a large modern city. There are very many cell phones in it and a huge host of other things and activities that make that city and its inhabitants function. An analysis of that city proves the existence of the intelligent beings that made, run, and function in that city. This is even more sure than just the cell phone. Now look at all of civilization. It consists of very many cell phones, many cities, and many other things. An analysis of that civilization proves the existence of the intelligent beings that made that civilization. This is even more sure than in the city example. Finally look at all living things in the world. The intricacies of living things (DNA, RNA, proteins, enzymes, organs, reproduction, the interconnected food chain etc) and their irreducible mutual complexity is way beyond anything that man has made and by an enormous amount. All people have done so far is try to understand how living things work and even now are just scratching the surface. Thus, an examination of all living things and how they interact with the rest of the creation proves the existence of Almighty God the Creator of all things. And this surety is way beyond than even the civilization example. So, here is yet another irrefutable proof that God Almighty, the Creator exists and the He created all things.

Thus, the enormity of the following less winded statement as found in the Bible should be clearly apparent to all the world.

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: - Rom 1:19-20

Since this wisdom, written about 2000 years ago, comes from the word of God, it proves the Bible is the true word of God. There are many things which prove the Bible is the true word of God. Now the Bible predicted that knowledge shall be increased in the last days. But with all the great advances in biology, the passage in Romans 19-20 has not only withstood the scrutiny of science but has been immensely verified by it.

But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. – Daniel 12:4

This proof uses mathematical induction. Thus, the proof is irrefutable.
n = intelligently designed objects.
n=1 is just one cell phon, an intelligently designed object
n=k is many cell phones and all other intelligently designed objects.
n>0 -> C>=0 where C is the number of intelligent creators.

I was a math major and it's very obvious from this post that you don't know what mathematical induction is. Not only does this "proof" not use mathematical induction, it's not even possible to follow or understand because it's incoherent gibberish. I can't even point out the flaw in the logic because it's not even clear what the premises or conclusion are.

Alekdar

The following proves that God Almighty is the Creator of all things.

Suppose that you had never seen a modern cell phone or knew of its existence. You find such a device. An examination of its incredible uses and how intricately it was made would prove the existence of the intelligent makers of that phone. Now consider a large modern city. There are very many cell phones in it and a huge host of other things and activities that make that city and its inhabitants function. An analysis of that city proves the existence of the intelligent beings that made, run, and function in that city. This is even more sure than just the cell phone. Now look at all of civilization. It consists of very many cell phones, many cities, and many other things. An analysis of that civilization proves the existence of the intelligent beings that made that civilization. This is even more sure than in the city example. Finally look at all living things in the world. The intricacies of living things (DNA, RNA, proteins, enzymes, organs, reproduction, the interconnected food chain etc) and their irreducible mutual complexity is way beyond anything that man has made and by an enormous amount. All people have done so far is try to understand how living things work and even now are just scratching the surface. Thus, an examination of all living things and how they interact with the rest of the creation proves the existence of Almighty God the Creator of all things. And this surety is way beyond than even the civilization example. So, here is yet another irrefutable proof that God Almighty, the Creator exists and the He created all things.

Thus, the enormity of the following less winded statement as found in the Bible should be clearly apparent to all the world.

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: - Rom 1:19-20

Since this wisdom, written about 2000 years ago, comes from the word of God, it proves the Bible is the true word of God. There are many things which prove the Bible is the true word of God. Now the Bible predicted that knowledge shall be increased in the last days. But with all the great advances in biology, the passage in Romans 19-20 has not only withstood the scrutiny of science but has been immensely verified by it.

But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. – Daniel 12:4

This proof uses mathematical induction. Thus, the proof is irrefutable.
n = intelligently designed objects.
n=1 is just one cell phon, an intelligently designed object
n=k is many cell phones and all other intelligently designed objects.
n>0 -> C>=0 where C is the number of intelligent creators.
Well, i suck at math, but i'll try to respond without it :D
Certainly a phone is designed, a city is, but a brain we know it appears in the world with no need of divine or supernatural intervention, not only a human brain mind you. Complexity does not equal Design.
And i really admire your conviction, for me as an Atheist i only see a Book, a very important, very famous book, but it's made of paper and typed (or written at that time :p) by people.
I wouldn't deny that something was "inspired" by a supernatural being, but i'm fairly convinced that books are made by people, and the Bible is no different.
Your first paragraph sounds to me like Argument from incredulity/intelligent design, granted, we see proteins are the instructions of life, and as of today most of they work in misterious ways, but we started mapping genomes like yesterday. The thing is that i am pretty sure in this regard too that within this organic compounds, there is no need for supernatural or divine ocurrings.
Cheers! ;D

SavedByTheLord

Well, i suck at math, but i'll try to respond without it :D
Certainly a phone is designed, a city is, but a brain we know it appears in the world with no need of divine or supernatural intervention, not only a human brain mind you. Complexity does not equal Design.
And i really admire your conviction, for me as an Atheist i only see a Book, a very important, very famous book, but it's made of paper and typed (or written at that time :p) by people.
I wouldn't deny that something was "inspired" by a supernatural being, but i'm fairly convinced that books are made by people, and the Bible is no different.
Your first paragraph sounds to me like Argument from incredulity/intelligent design, granted, we see proteins are the instructions of life, and as of today most of they work in misterious ways, but we started mapping genomes like yesterday. The thing is that i am pretty sure in this regard too that within this organic compounds, there is no need for supernatural or divine ocurrings.
Cheers! ;D
Thanks.
I appreciate your candid post.

metis

And I showed that none say only 1 or only 2.
So that means there is no contradiction,
Either you are semi-literate or dishonest or both, so I'm no longer going to waste time with whatever you may post. In Matthew, which I quoted [#1442], it clearly says "an angel" and no others are mentioned. This is also true in Mark's gospel but there are 2 angels in Luke's and John's accounts.

What you are doing is making an idol of the Bible-- but then only your interpretation counts. The Bible is about God but is not God in and of itself, and what theologians call "variations" abound within the scriptures.

As for myself, I'm not into idolatry. :shrug:

Last edited:

SavedByTheLord

Either you are semi-literate or dishonest or both, so I'm no longer going to waste time with whatever you may post. In Matthew, which I quoted [#1442], it clearly says "an angel" and no others are mentioned. This is also true in Mark's gospel but there are 2 angels in Luke's and John's accounts.

What you are doing is making an idol of the Bible-- but then only your interpretation counts. The Bible is about God but is not God in and of itself, and what theologians call "variations" abound within the scriptures.

As for myself, I'm not into idolatry. :shrug:
No gospel says only 1 angel or only 2 angels.
So your attempt failed,
Thanks for proving these are indeed true eye witness accounts.

SavedByTheLord

I was a math major and it's very obvious from this post that you don't know what mathematical induction is. Not only does this "proof" not use mathematical induction, it's not even possible to follow or understand because it's incoherent gibberish. I can't even point out the flaw in the logic because it's not even clear what the premises or conclusion are.
I know math very well and I have given many irrefutable proofs.
One used mathematical induction and another used the law of non contradiction .
If you can show any error please try.
BTW, when did the evolutionist prove there is no God and no miraculous events?
Surely you noted there unproven assumption.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
BTW, when did the evolutionist prove there is no God and no miraculous events?
A belief that the evolutionary process is the best explanation for the diversity of life on Earth has nothing to do with a belief in God or no God. But I would have thought by now that someone with so much knowledge as you claim would know this. So why don't you?

metis

No gospel says only 1 angel or only 2 angels.
So your attempt failed,

You are about as "learned" in theology as you are in science. I've shown you the reference in Matthew to there being "an angel" and Jesus' tomb, which is 1, and yet you continue to claim that there's four. It's impossible to have a serious discussion with someone who makes up stuff.:shrug:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
First it's been done:

Synopsis of the Four Gospels, Revised Standard Version​

It's not any gospel, you have created a 5th frankenstein gospel which makes little sense.
They see an angel, it tells them not to be afraid and Jesus has risen, then they do it all again with more angels, and the new angels also tell them to not fear, Jesus has risen???? Ridiculous.
On the third day after Jesus’ death, the women go to the tomb to anoint his body for burial. And whom do they see there? Do they
see a man, as Mark says, or two men (Luke), or an angel (Matthew)? This is normally reconciled by saying that the women actually saw
“two angels.” That can explain everything else—why Matthew says they saw an angel (he mentions only one of the two angels, but
doesn’t deny there was a second), why Mark says it was a man (the angels appeared to be men, even though they were angels, and Mark
mentions only one of them without denying there was a second), and why Luke says it was two men (since the angels appeared to be
men). The problem is that this kind of reconciling again requires one to assert that what really happened is unlike what any of the Gospels say—since none of the three accounts states that the women saw “two angels.” ?

Almost every story has discrepencies. The genealogy in Luke and Matthew is different. How would Jesus even be related to Joseph? The curtain is still ripped at different times. Jesus dies at different times as well.
In any story, details may be left out from one teller to another. In the gospel accounts relating to the disciples going to the tomb where Jesus was buried the accounts are basically the same, the women going first and relating what they had seen. The basic elements are there in each account and in fact portrays the reality of the situation even if one account says one angel while another says two men. The men are understood to be angels. Descriptions as related especially in excitement can be slightly differently related or recounted.
If I have time to research I will try to cover some of your other points.

SavedByTheLord

You are about as "learned" in theology as you are in science. I've shown you the reference in Matthew to there being "an angel" and Jesus' tomb, which is 1, and yet you continue to claim that there's four. It's impossible to have a serious discussion with someone who makes up stuff.:shrug:
And The word “only“ is missing.
So your theory is false,