• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-realism about truth and facts

raw_thought

Feelings could be physical?
True, physical forces can cause pain etc. But does pain = C fibers firing. In other words that "pain" is a folk psychological word that has no meaning. That only C fibers firing exist? That is absurd for the reasons I gave. Torture, if there is no feeling of pain involved is not torture. Therefore, if an eliminative materialist is consistent, he must say that there is nothing wrong with torture.
BTW, that was an argument. Perhaps invalid. Perhaps valid. But it is an argument. I have given many, you have given none.

Enai de a lukal

Feelings could be physical?
True, physical forces can cause pain etc. But does pain = C fibers firing. In other words that "pain" is a folk psychological word that has no meaning. That only C fibers firing exist? That is absurd for the reasons I gave. Torture, if there is no feeling of pain involved is not torture. Therefore, if an eliminative materialist is consistent, he must say that there is nothing wrong with torture.
No. So far as I'm aware, there is no ethical system that is contingent upon the existence of qualia. The eliminativist would still have the entire range of moral philosophies to choose from; so far as I can see, eliminativism doesn't exclude any moral theory, except those which require immaterial entities (such as, e.g. Divine Command Theory, in that it presupposes a divine commander, presumably a non-physical entity).

BTW, that was an argument.
Sure. But one that requires quite a few more premises before it could be considered valid. At least you've given up on trying to dismiss eliminativism simply on the basis of calling it deluded or neurotic; we're making steps here, that's a good sign. But perhaps you'd like to now confine your replies to the other thread, so as not to make this more scattered than it needs to be?