• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
"Is there or is there not a god?"

Someone please explain to me why the answer to that question matters.

Is there any real demonstrable negative to not acknowledging god (hint: stories of hell and eternal damnation are not demonstrable)?

I can be kind, loving, selfless, and charitable all on my own. It is simply a matter of choosing to act out such characteristics. I can enjoy my membership in social organizations without having to imbibe any religious teachings.

What are the negative consequences to atheism? I just don't see a downside.

MSizer

MSizer
You're going straight to hell when you die. Don't worry, sit at my table, I'm rounding up all the fun atheists so we can party in a way that will make people wish they hadn't gone to heaven.

I don't know of any downside to atheism. I do know you get the occasional confrontation for your views, but whatever.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Primarily social punishments (depending on your situation), although discrimination at work or school could also occur.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Lack of intrinsic meaning. Sure, you can consider things as meaningful, but in the big picture, nothing is really meaningful.

I guess maybe you could argue that Theism has the same problem. All in all, I would say that there's no immediately obvious negative consequences to being an Atheist. However, there's not really a good reason to be an Atheist either.

SHANMAC

"Is there or is there not a god?"

Someone please explain to me why the answer to that question matters.

Is there any real demonstrable negative to not acknowledging god (hint: stories of hell and eternal damnation are not demonstrable)?

I can be kind, loving, selfless, and charitable all on my own. It is simply a matter of choosing to act out such characteristics. I can enjoy my membership in social organizations without having to imbibe any religious teachings.

What are the negative consequences to atheism? I just don't see a downside.

If I am forced to use your underlying assumptions (no heaven/hell), then you're probably right - there is no downside. Moreover, atheists probably have a lot more worldly fun here on earth. As the Apostly Paul said, if the dead are not raised, eat and drink for tomorrow we die. If, however, there is a heaven/hell (which I believe to be true), the table to which MSizer refers in his post will not be so much fun afterall.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
The only negative that comes to mind is the dry cleaning bills. Removing the blood stains of babies and kittens from my work shirts is costly.

Sometimes because of social conditioning you will say ''Oh My God'' or ''Jesus ******* Christ'' or ''Christ on a cracker'' or '' ******* Jesus ******* Christ or '' Jesus ******* wept'' or '' what in god's name is this ******* ****'' or '' Jesus, Mary and Holy St Joseph, can you believe this ******* **** again'' or '' well **** on the five wounds of Christ and call me a heretic'' or ''what in the ******* name of God is this ****'' Then you feel like kind of a hypocrite :eek:

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
However, there's not really a good reason to be an Atheist either.
Really? I'd beg to differ. For starters, you don't have to give up your time and money to religious institutions which, in the case of some religions, goes to support people continually telling you how bad you are and how you have to repent or do this or that before you can be "right with god". That's one thing that atheists get to avoid. Oh! And perpetual self-analysis, worrying over your "sins", castigating people who don't live the way your religion wants them to and in extreme cases committing suicide or going on a jihad and killing innocent people. Avoiding all that mess seems to be a very good reason to be an atheist.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
As the Apostly Paul said, if the dead are not raised, eat and drink for tomorrow we die.
He said if the dead are not raised then Christians are "most to be pitied" (of course he was talking about Christians who stood a fair chance of being martyred). He was right about that. It was a pity and a shame to both the martyrs and the persecutors. Superstition always brings out the worst in us.

Just_me_Mike

Really? I'd beg to differ. For starters, you don't have to give up your time and money to religious institutions which, in the case of some religions, goes to support people continually telling you how bad you are and how you have to repent or do this or that before you can be "right with god". That's one thing that atheists get to avoid. Oh! And perpetual self-analysis, worrying over your "sins", castigating people who don't live the way your religion wants them to and in extreme cases committing suicide or going on a jihad and killing innocent people. Avoiding all that mess seems to be a very good reason to be an atheist.
Your response here is wholly aimed at Palageism Christianity. I have much to say on the topic, but have to wait until I am not driving down the road typing in my cell.

MSizer

MSizer
...If, however, there is a heaven/hell (which I believe to be true), the table to which MSizer refers in his post will not be so much fun afterall.

If there is heaven and hell, then I am abusing my life in the worst possible way. Not only am I shunning god, but encouraging others to do so as well. My lack of concern for this is a testament to my earnestness.

P.S. - I deny the holy spirit.

Go ahead god, send me to hell. I dare you.

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

for some, atheism can be seen as a reason to be unhappy and depressed....

life is empty....

but that is atheism accompanied by things such as depression, nihilism. misanthropy, self loathing etc....

but you can have those and still not be an atheist, arguably

MSizer

MSizer
for some, atheism can be seen as a reason to be unhappy and depressed....

life is empty....

but that is atheism accompanied by things such as depression, nihilism. misanthropy, self loathing etc....

but you can have those and still not be an atheist, arguably

In my experience, atheists are happy about being atheists. It seems to me, for sure at least in my own experience, that it's the theists who tell us that we must be unhappy for our atheism, but they're wrong. Maybe the thought of "no god" scares them, but not atheists in my experience.

Just_me_Mike

In my experience, atheists are happy about being atheists. It seems to me, for sure at least in my own experience, that it's the theists who tell us that we must be unhappy for our atheism, but they're wrong. Maybe the thought of "no god" scares them, but not atheists in my experience.
No offense, but your situation is unique. You have let everyone know you are own meds. Would you care to share why?
If you weren't on meds you already admitted the urge for suicide. This does not equate to happiness to me.

MSizer

MSizer
No offense, but your situation is unique. You have let everyone know you are own meds. Would you care to share why?
If you weren't on meds you already admitted the urge for suicide. This does not equate to happiness to me.

Not that I mind discussing my condition, but I'm not referring to myself. I know many atheists through a social group and I was thinking of their opinons when I was answering the question.

Regarding mental illness, I'm no expert at all, but my wife and I both have rather problematic cases, and I don't mind discussing with anyone who is curious.

Mr Cheese

I'm not really saying that,....

just that atheism when coupled with materialism, misanthropy, nihilism, depression
can be a down side to atheism....

I think you are less likely to be misanthropic for instance if you are religious, unless you are a satanist.... for example

I however have no problem with athiests, and no problem believing many may be happy....

Happiness is subjective afterall, One man's meat is a another man's poison as we say in England...

Americans have this fear of celebrating religious holidays though....
In England, everyone celebrates Xmas, pretty much, jews, hindus, muslims and atheists.....even christians.... Obviously not always a religious observancem, but still a celebration.

It seems that non believers in USA often simply opt out.... no xmas, no hannuka no nothing etc, because they are atheists..... I am sure this si nott he case for everyone... but I would think this would lead to less happinesss and more insular ways of being...

On a surface level thopugh, I dont think there is any downside to atheism....
although catholic girls are good in bed in my experience....:areyoucra

Mr Cheese

hardly unique....

a recent survey that took a decade to do (or something similar length of time) concluded that 25% of americans could be labelled clinically insane.

The simple fact is, far more people are insane than people often imagine....

huge numbers are bi-polar which used to be called manic depressive, world wide.... We are talking around 2 billion of the world populace, supposedly, is bi-polar....give or take a million or ten

:) "sanity is a little box" --charles Manson