• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Atheists don't get to know God and walk with God, or experience miracles from God.
Atheists don't have the promise of heaven.
Atheists don't grow into the image of Christ.
Atheists cannot discern good from evil.
Atheists cannot understand human emotion or experience.
Atheists have to believe that animals are equal to themselves.
IMO
:biglaugh:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
the dogmatic ones who use the old "your wrong because im right" argument?

wait... which one is that, atheist or theist?:shrug:
Both.
Now granted, my personal experience has been that there are far more theists who do that than atheists, but it is still both.

ragordon168

Both.
Now granted, my personal experience has been that there are far more theists who do that than atheists, but it is still both.

agreed but that is only from secondary sources (i.e media) if i went on 1st han experience id say (some) atheists are quite bad.

"ffs there's no god get over it, stop being so f*****g stupid and learn the truth" a sample of one of my atheist classmates. no debate could take place with him there as he couldnt see beyond his own POV and argue neutrally.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
the dogmatic ones who use the old "your wrong because im right" argument?

wait... which one is that, atheist or theist?:shrug:
I think you would be describing human beings there. At least a certain population of human beings who think that being right is in fact important.

imaginaryme

Downside to atheism? Other than the prejudice and stereotyping of the religious majority? I mean, one probably wouldn't want to tell one's bank or one's employer of this philosophy. I would think the only downside would be when such a philosophy leads to willful ignorance, just like everything else.

But I tend to believe we all have a degree of willful ignorance. I also believe that such a degree is mandatory to the human condition; but also, that degree should be minimized. These beliefs on racism, for instance. A phrase was coined, and now that coin is spent; usually in a derogatory manner to add the weight of emotional appeal to one's argument. My contention that I am a racist based on the fact that there is no race other than human, means perhaps my willful ignorance has minimized too far. No matter. That's all "prophet" really means, to be ahead of the curve; but enough about this fool.

I really do not know any atheists. I had a talk with the last one I had met, and after our discussion, he agreed he was a Satanist. So, maybe I shouldn't talk to atheists... :D

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
For starters, you don't have to give up your time and money to religious institutions which, in the case of some religions, goes to support people continually telling you how bad you are and how you have to repent or do this or that before you can be "right with god".
Some people enjoy devoting their time and money to a particular institution. Consider the many organizations that have volunteers and receive money that aren't religious.

That's one thing that atheists get to avoid.
There are religions without said structure.

Oh! And perpetual self-analysis, worrying over your "sins",
Self-analysis is a good thing.. Even a professional writer proofreads his work.

castigating people who don't live the way your religion wants them to
Not all religions do this.

and in extreme cases committing suicide or going on a jihad and killing innocent people.
The vast majority of religious adherents don't do that and don't feel the need to.

Avoiding all that mess seems to be a very good reason to be an atheist.

That's a reason not to believe in any religions that support those things (which is basically just Christianity and Islam). There are about 14998 other religions from history to choose from.

Our experiences throughout our lives have lead us to look at the Universe and not see a creator or an intelligent influence here on earth or in the Universe.
That's understandable. My point was that from an objective (somewhat) standpoint, if you aren't sure that there's a God (ie there's no evidence for one). Then whether or not you are a part of a religion is a matter of taste and preference. Suppose you look at all the evidence, and it seems to point to the fact that there isn't a God.

What does that mean? You can either live with that and continue on. Or you can simply choose to believe in a religion anyways. I would say that very few people are in the category of people who actually think that God exists (like myself), but that most people realize the evidence just isn't there for God, and believe in Him anyways.

Why? Because religion is a way of living. There are many pleasing aspects of religion that appeal to a person beyond being intellectually or scientifically correct. Most people join religions for some sort of aesthetic benefit. Not because they think it's true.

Sure, they'll say it's true, but that doesn't mean anything.

For instance, I am fully aware that Judaism could be false and there could be no God. However, what does that mean? I like the ethical teachings of Judaism (which a lot of the world's legal systems are similar to). I like the teachings on human nature and on philosophy that Judaism has. So even if it were false, I'd still follow those aspects of it that I liked. Because Atheism isn't a lifestyle. It's more like an awareness. And well, you can't really live your life around an awareness.

People need structure and that is what religion provides. Whether or not it's true isn't relevant (unless you're a Christian).

A lot of Christians ask me "So what if you're wrong?" My response is usually "So what?" If I am wrong, it doesn't change anything. It means that I died living a selfless life devoted to the service of humanity. I'm perfectly fine with that. Personally, I see selflessness as one of the highest goals a person can reach. Part of my love for Judaism is that it coincides with a lot of conclusions that I'd reached about the world.

So what if there is no God? My life will not have been wasted. If I live my life to the fullest of my effort, if I do what I can to be charitable and kind, If I show love to others and follow the commandments of the Bible, even if I'm wrong, I haven't wasted my life.

I don't think it's a waste of time and energy to live by Biblical principles. Sure, it helps that I believe it's true. But even if it's not, I won't feel that I've wasted my life because my belief in the Bible is a belief in a particular way of living.

Different people have different tastes and desire to live different ways. Besides, it's not like the way an Atheist in America behaves and the way a Theist behaves in America is all that different. For the most part we live the same way. There's just a few areas where our opinions are different and where our actions might differ. Areas that aren't all that important in the end.

Smoke

Done here.
Some believers cannot find their rear ends with both hands.
Some believers are unable to move their bowels, and just get more and more full of **** the longer they live.

imaginaryme

Atheists don't get to know God and walk with God, or experience miracles from God.
Absolutely. Not. True. I like you, Man of Faith; but when you're wrong - you are "orbit of Neptune" wrong. Now, I don't expect that atheists in general will agree with me, but they are not required. But I just watched the video from CERN where they were talking about the work required to get the LHC online. These people showed little emotion - but it was there - and I have no problem saying that it made me cry. This is the "great divide" between me and mainstream Christianity. They insist upon a paternal, anthropomorphic God that created the universe and man. I insist upon a god so far hidden in the numbers that - despite the advances of science and not because of them - still remains beyond definition. I contend that god finds greater glorification in the joy of scientific discovery than in all the choirs in the world; and I ask you; has there ever been a more magnificent cathedral than the LHC?
I take heaven as a threat, myself.
Whoo-doggie! The image of Christ is mortal morality.
Just plain wrong.
Just plain wrong, again.
IMO
Just plain wrong, for a three-fer. I would point to Ecclesiastes, but S-word offers good reason why such is merely satire. I am a prophet of god, but I defer to greater knowledge. That should tell you something. ;)

I sit in my house and debate theology because I have no desire to destroy faith; at all. Not because I don't have the goods, but because forty-one is kindergarten to a prophet; and I'm not walking out that door until I'm all resembling the Yoda. But it really gets me - the true glory of god lies in this unknowability - yet the religious insist upon a creator who is blatantly obvious.

blackout

Violet.
Really? I'd beg to differ. For starters, you don't have to give up your time and money to religious institutions which, in the case of some religions, goes to support people continually telling you how bad you are and how you have to repent or do this or that before you can be "right with god". That's one thing that atheists get to avoid. Oh! And perpetual self-analysis, worrying over your "sins", castigating people who don't live the way your religion wants them to and in extreme cases committing suicide or going on a jihad and killing innocent people. Avoiding all that mess seems to be a very good reason to be an atheist.

erm... I'm a theist.
(though some may beg to differ)
and NONE of this has anything to do with my life at all.

There are many theists who'se lives have nothing at all to do with "sin concepts".
Many of us do not castigate others,
first off because we love the freedom of the individual
to Be and Become it's greatest manifestation of Self...
and also our "religions" do not "want" people
to be any certain way.
Or else we're just happy doin' our own thing,
and really don't CARE what your doing.
(as long as you're not infringing on anyone else's right to BE)

Yet one more example of how all theists are lumped together stupidly.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
I should also throw in, that as a LHP pantheist/panentheist
I'm just as slated for the christian hell as any athiest.

I'm not worried.

Jeremiah

Any downside to atheism?

Apparently, atheism causes stupidity; consider the following quote....

IMO