• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

blackout

Violet.
In which case the whole "growing in the image of Christ" is nonapplicable...

Not if you believe we are all Christ potential,
and the "jesus character" was only a "template"
or an "example" (metaphorical or otherwise)
to help us unlock the garden door
to the REALization of our own Christhood.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
"Is there or is there not a god?"

Someone please explain to me why the answer to that question matters.

Is there any real demonstrable negative to not acknowledging god (hint: stories of hell and eternal damnation are not demonstrable)?

I can be kind, loving, selfless, and charitable all on my own. It is simply a matter of choosing to act out such characteristics. I can enjoy my membership in social organizations without having to imbibe any religious teachings.

What are the negative consequences to atheism? I just don't see a downside.
To the right person, Atheism can be very rewarding, in terms of intellect, curiosity, objectivity in terms of personal perspective, and even sanity in certain cases, such as uprooting previous dogmas which handicap thought processes, or objecting to social zealotry.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think a downside is the certainty of the finality of death. Not one's own death but that of loved ones.
Of course it can't be helped but it's still hard.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think a downside is the certainty of the finality of death. Not one's own death but that of loved ones.
While I understand your sentiment, don't you think that resolving death issues in naturalistic terms and free from the bias of wishful thinking is in itself healthy and desirable?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
While I understand your sentiment, don't you think that resolving death issues in naturalistic terms and free from the bias of wishful thinking is in itself healthy and desirable?
I think it can be, but it's not always.
My wife's dad is dying slowly. She knows in her own mind that once he's gone that's it - forever. If anything happens me or the kids then in her eyes - that's it. Forever.
The believer on the other hand has hope.
I'm not making any judgement about the validity of either stance other than to observe that having hope is easier than having none.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think it can be, but it's not always.
My wife's dad is dying slowly. She knows in her own mind that once he's gone that's it - forever. If anything happens me or the kids then in her eyes - that's it. Forever.
The believer on the other hand has hope.
I'm not making any judgement about the validity of either stance other than to observe that having hope is easier than having none.
Again, I see where you are coming from. but to some people, there is a certain state of mind, to which hope is secondary or void of meaning. before you think of that as a negative, what I mean is, a lucid perspective free of notions such as hope and hopeful beliefs, a state of calm and acceptance in the face of the realities of life.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
... but to some people, there is a certain state of mind, to which hope is secondary or void of meaning. before you think of that as a negative, what I mean is, a lucid perspective free of notions such as hope and hopeful beliefs, a state of calm and acceptance in the face of the realities of life.
zenzero huh? :D

linwood

There are a couple of downsides from here....

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/atheism-2/27523-atheistism-down-side.html

Eureka!

As an atheist I cannot simply blame my actions on gods plan or the devil. I have to take responsibility for everything that I do.
Every thought I have is my own and must be considered and constructed by me.
Thinking for yourself is sometimes hard, that's why a lot of people don't bother doing it.

I've got a headache.;)

Here`s a downside.

This cartoon controversy raging across the world.(Danish/Islam cartoon idiocy)

Having to witness ignorant people destroy humanity itself because of their imaginary dieties is a downside.

I think it is just plain irresponsible and immature to blame either gods or demons (for the polytheists), God and Satan (for the monotheists) for their own actions. It sort of like blaming on your childhood's invisible friend for something you have done wrong. So when you are blaming either God or Satan, you are basically resorting to childish reaction, which is to avoid gettting caught, as well as to avoid taking responsibility for yourself. I just think people would stop this when they reach adulthood. Then again some people refused to grow up.:tsk:

I have found that I occasionally get extremely angry that I was raised to believe in God,Jesus,and that the Bible was the word of God. Ughhhhhh!Being brainwashed when I was a child has left me emotionally scarred for life. It is hard to shake those beliefs. However Iam. I am happy to say that my kids have not. My teen ager actually came tome a few years back and asked.....What is this Jesus bullcrap! I imediately knew that I had raised him right. :biglaugh:

I know a down side at least for me. I live in east Texas, where if you don't hate blacks, jews, or gays you are hated or at best unliked. Also with that veiw they also think that anyone that is not Babtist Christian is of the devil:banghead3 . However I figure that if I lived in a more civilized region that I wouldn't have to deal with this behavior. Although to my relief I have found a few people that are not like the others out here and have become friends with them.

I see the only down side for me is to see the true charater of people. Which could be considered a good thing, but when you are surrounded by toothless, barefoot, bottom of the barrel, waste of oxygen, KKK scumbags it is to my dismay that I have to witness it.

I'm perpetually irritated by a horrible rash that almost makes out the words 'non believers shall burn', I'm growing horns and hooves, and I get hounded by plagues of amphibians. That aside, being an atheist is the bee's knees.

I've had huge problems with being a atheist in this country.
See I live in Qatar (a small country east of KSA, Google it), and I'm also Danish.
This means that unless I want to die, I need to lie about my heritage (although it doesn't mean that I do lie, I normally just mention my American side instead).
But besides that, being an atheist who thinks about religion and philosophy often, I'm normally the main guy in disscustions on these subjects..
Just my personal experience :)
-Xandy

The fact that some of my distant family try desperately to turn me Anglican is just frustrating because it becomes grinding and I always end up getting short or angry with them. I'm sick of being told I'll go to hell or that im living a pointless life. My idea of a pointless life is surrendering my brain to an ancient book to follow a false belief... my words to theists... back off

The only downside I can really see is not being able to be who you are without this fear of backlash. My mom's southern baptist and I "came out of the closet" a few years ago about being atheist...it obviously hasn't gone over well. I've lost count how many times she's said I'm going to hell, she prays for my soul, I'm possessed by the devil. I'm not ashamed of who I am, but it can be very disheartening when it's your own mother.

The biggest downside as shown, is the prejudice recieved from "bible belters" that someone without religion is immoral, cares for nothing, and if you can't convert them they should be removed from society to prevent them from spreading there "disease". Though they obviously can't be removed they should be treated as anything they say is unimportant.

I can think of one down-side to atheism: not enough holidays! ;)

OmarKhayyam

"Originally Posted by lamplighter
The biggest downside as shown, is the prejudice recieved from "bible belters" that someone without religion is immoral, cares for nothing, and if you can't convert them they should be removed from society to prevent them from spreading there "disease". Though they obviously can't be removed they should be treated as anything they say is unimportant."

For many it is not so obvious that atheists can't be removed. Indeed they CAN. And should be. For reasons already noted.:(

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

I don't find it hard. When I think about the concept of "eternity" - i.e. being conscious and aware forever - it's not very appealing. ESPECIALLY if all my loved ones are there. I mean... I've just spent 5 short months living with my parents and let's just say I am very excited to be going far, far away next month.

Anyway, when I really think about it - if I had a choice whether to live a finite life, keeping my departed loved ones alive in my heart and dreams, or whether to physically rejoin them at the end of my life for some kind of eternal family reunion - I prefer a finite life. It makes me more aware of the awesome improbability of my own existence, which makes every living moment more precious, and every other living thing more sacred.

Jeremiah

The ancient Greeks believed that when the dead crossed the river Styx their hand would touch the water and it would remove all memory of their life from them. This allowed the "shade" to exist in the underworld without suffering the pain of being removed for from the loved ones left behind.

I personally find great relief in knowing that my father is now beyond all pain. That no matter what happens, he can never be hurt again. He suffered greatly in life because of division between loved ones and to think that he would have to endure this in death is just a terrible thought.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
I personally find great relief in knowing that my father is now beyond all pain. That no matter what happens, he can never be hurt again. He suffered greatly in life because of division between loved ones and to think that he would have to endure this in death is just a terrible thought.
Good point.

The Wizard

The term "God" could also mean something like= all incomprehensible goodness. All patterns of goodness which can’t be explained or understood! The more someone believes in God, the more they will encounter effortless synchronicity with good events. God is a pattern of good which we cannot figure out. It is a mystery. It has nothing to do with a white bearded fellow sitting on a throne granting wishes-- unless that is how you like to see your god.

When someone stops believing in God (i.e. general concept), they stop believing the force “into” their Life or experience. They stop connecting to that “invisible” pattern of goodness. That is why when someone stops accepting or believing, they will usually throw their self into a pattern of increased negativity, negative emotions, negative circumstances and bad experiences. This further fuels their rage and disbelief in any god and the discourse continues, via the power of belief-- via the law of attraction.

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents on the question--thanks.