• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The term "God" could also mean something like= all incomprehensible goodness. All patterns of goodness which can’t be explained or understood! The more someone believes in God, the more they will encounter effortless synchronicity with good events. God is a pattern of good which we cannot figure out. It is a mystery. It has nothing to do with a white bearded fellow sitting on a throne granting wishes-- unless that is how you like to see your god.

When someone stops believing in God (i.e. general concept), they stop believing the force “into” their Life or experience. They stop connecting to that “invisible” pattern of goodness. That is why when someone stops accepting or believing, they will usually throw their self into a pattern of increased negativity, negative emotions, negative circumstances and bad experiences. This further fuels their rage and disbelief in any god and the discourse continues, via the power of belief-- via the law of attraction.

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents on the question--thanks.

Your idea of God displays two false concepts.
the first is that the universe we live in is not 'all good', and when I say 'good' I mean what people define as 'good'. there are many 'bad' things that are an essential part of existence, and both the believers and the non believers may be caught in the circumstances of this flow of events.
the second false assumption which is an extension of the first one, is that unlike your theory, in reality, people who believe in God may just have as hard time as an atheist might or might not have. are you really claiming that only people who lack belief in God, enter a worm hole of negative karma?

blackout

Violet.
The term "God" could also mean something like= all incomprehensible goodness. All patterns of goodness which can’t be explained or understood! The more someone believes in God, the more they will encounter effortless synchronicity with good events. God is a pattern of good which we cannot figure out. It is a mystery. It has nothing to do with a white bearded fellow sitting on a throne granting wishes-- unless that is how you like to see your god.

When someone stops believing in God (i.e. general concept), they stop believing the force “into” their Life or experience. They stop connecting to that “invisible” pattern of goodness. That is why when someone stops accepting or believing, they will usually throw their self into a pattern of increased negativity, negative emotions, negative circumstances and bad experiences. This further fuels their rage and disbelief in any god and the discourse continues, via the power of belief-- via the law of attraction.

It is quite possible for an athiest to be connected with "invisible"...
and visible....
patterns of goodness,
even moreso than a theist. I mean, why not? :shrug:

If people live, think and see negatively... that's what they live, think and see.
I've seen both healthy and unhealthy theists and athiests.
I've seen both positive and negative theists and athiests.

Just look around this forum for proof.;)

The Wizard

> Your idea of God displays two false concepts.
Its not an idea, its an abstract observation.

> the first is that the universe we live in is not 'all good', and when I say 'good' I mean what people define as 'good'. there are many 'bad' things that are an essential part of existence, and both the believers and the non believers may be caught in the circumstances of this flow of events.

I'm not talking about the universe, I'm talking about life on Earth.
Change is change, It doesn't mean a person can't connect to the best of it (ie the unknown good).

> the second false assumption which is an extension of the first one, is that unlike your theory, in reality, people who believe in God may just have as hard time as an atheist might or might not have. are you really claiming that only people who lack belief in God, enter a worm hole of negative karma?

My opinion is that people who believe in a god are generally happier. I think it is evident.
And, no I am not claiming anything of the like, I know nothing about worm holes, sir.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm not talking about the universe, I'm talking about life on Earth.
Change 'universe' with 'earth', same thing.
My opinion is that people who believe in a god are generally happier. I think it is evident.
And, no I am not claiming anything of the like, I know nothing about worm holes, sir.
Your opinion is obviously false and non evident.

Alceste

Vagabond

Ooh, I see what you did there: "I define god as "good" and / or "mystery", therefore someone who doesn't believe in "god" doesn't believe in "good" or "mystery"".

Terribly clever. :rolleyes:

Except that atheists DO experience mysteries, life and goodness. We simply don't believe in the existence of anthropomorphised deities.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong! It is not evident. How many cheerful Muslims do you know? How many god-believers are there who are outraged at other people's behaviour or beliefs? Certainly not all but particularly among the three major religions there are large majorities of such people.

How many atheists have made it their business to impose their views on other people or society? Very few indeed.

In times of trouble when your god does not come to solve your problems, your belief coupled with the lack of intervention on your deity's behalf is crazy making and extremely stressful.

Do you know how many people are shammed into believing that if they just send this guy some money that it will open the floodgates of blessing on them? More than you would believe. Are those people happy?

If all god-believers were actually happy, they'd stop fleecing one another, falling for shams and propping up institutions that are harmful to human beings. And maybe they'd stop bothering us atheists with silly stories and scare-tactics of hell and damnation. If they were happy they certainly wouldn't think about killing other people who don't believe as you do.

I'm not saying that you as an individual think such things but it is far more "evident" that god-believers are at least as bad as everyone else and often worse.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I've been talking a little about this in real life :)
Yesterday I'd a conversation with an atheist who says that they are an atheist because they haven't put much thought into it, but on the face of it the idea of God seems like nonsense to them. It's just their default position.
I think that's fair enough.
I wonder because most of us here are interested in religion do we attribute more to both atheists and theists than is justified?
I'm inclined to think most people whether atheist or theist are in default mode.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong! It is not evident.
Do you know how many people are shammed into believing that if they just send this guy some money that it will open the floodgates of blessing on them? More than you would believe. Are those people happy?

Actually I believe that surveys support this assertion. On average, believers are happier than non-believers. However, as George Bernard Shaw observed, "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

Alceste

Vagabond
Actually I believe that surveys support this assertion. On average, believers are happier than non-believers. However, as George Bernard Shaw observed, "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

I'm pretty sure it's one widely reported survey conducted by a religious guy who was setting out to demonstrate his conclusion and designed the questions accordingly. The "study" was not peer reviewed, and the articles I've read on it often neglect to mention that the questionnaire didn't distinguish between theistic and non-theistic spirituality, or for that matter between "spirituality" and "religion".

Basically he found that people who have some method, belief, philosophy or practice that acts as an outlet for their feelings toward the unknown (whether the feelings are awe, wonder, fear, curiosity, or whatever) are happier than those simply suppress those feelings and ignore the unknown.

captain-obvious.jpg

Then he called the papers and lied about his findings. (What's this? A Christian falsifying research in order to justify theistic belief? Well, I never!)

ragordon168

I've been talking a little about this in real life :)
Yesterday I'd a conversation with an atheist who says that they are an atheist because they haven't put much thought into it, but on the face of it the idea of God seems like nonsense to them. It's just their default position.
I think that's fair enough.
I wonder because most of us here are interested in religion do we attribute more to both atheists and theists than is justified?
I'm inclined to think most people whether atheist or theist are in default mode.

well people believe what their parents believe (to start with.) if your parents are religious, you start out religious and maybe think about it and change your mind.

i.e me, my mums not religious so neither are me and my brother. when i was younger that was it but now i've thought about it ive decided the 'god' concept is a bit to far fetched for me and i stuck as an atheist.

of course you could go either way, atheist -> theist or visa versa

The Neo Nerd

My religious beliefs are but one small part of my life.

My job makes me happy.
Beer makes me happy.
My GF makes me happy.
My car makes me happy.

I'll tell you from my own experience, there's a lot less guilt and worry in my life since i kicked off the shackles of xtianity.

-Q

The Neo Nerd

I believe that theists could possibly be happier. They have this uber father figure who is looking after them, thats gotta be a source of relief

But i'm not willing to fool myself into believing something i don't just so i can have piece of mind

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well...everyone seems so sure....
How about a possibility?

Some of you already know my spiel about having been blind for a week. I've had my arms and hands numb and unresponsive. On another occasion I've suffered serious injury, and could examine the open wound, but could not feel the pain. And so forth and so on......

During these experiences my thoughts did not stop...nor did my feelings.
My body and physical perceptions can be altered....and yet "I" continue.

The real question here should be....what if we DO crossover?
We must speculate, as 'proof' cannot be rendered.

When I die...""I" will lose my breath, and all that goes with it.
Death will take what "I" did lose on previous occasion, and death will do so... permanently, but "I" will continue.

As I believe in life after death, I will have something to go do.
An atheist may be allowed to do so.
You could be dealt with, according to your beliefs...or lack of.

It should be obvious...You are not your own handiwork....and you are stuck in your body.

When you die, you will either escape your flesh or you won't.
Without consideration toward doing so, it is unlikely that you will.

Eternal darkness is physically real. No form of light follows anyone into the grave.

I believe in life after death. I believe I can renounce the flesh.
I shall be free.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Well...everyone seems so sure....
How about a possibility?

Some of you already know my spiel about having been blind for a week. I've had my arms and hands numb and unresponsive. On another occasion I've suffered serious injury, and could examine the open wound, but could not feel the pain. And so forth and so on......

During these experiences my thoughts did not stop...nor did my feelings.
My body and physical perceptions can be altered....and yet "I" continue.

The real question here should be....what if we DO crossover?

Who cares?

It is not possible to know from this world whether there is another world after death, and even if there is another world,nobody ever comes back to tell this one about it.

So, as far as life after death is concerned, it's safe to assume two things: 1) those who claim there is another world after death are full of hot air. 2) It is completely irrelevant whether or not there is another world after death since there is no communication between the that world and this, and therefore it is irrelevant whether or not we believe in it.

I believe in life after death. I believe I can renounce the flesh.
I shall be free.

I'm free right now. :)