• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
What...so you don't believe?
Why then be bothered?

If you are correct...you die...end of story.
If I am correct...I go on without you.
Again, ur assumption is baseless. What u are using is fake logic. or logical fallacy. look it up, ur defenitely being illogical. i believe urs is the fallacy of assumption. nvm i looked it up its -->
Fallacy of False Cause or Non Sequitur: incorrectly assumes one thing is the cause of another. Non Sequitur is Latin for "It does not follow."
and/or
False dilemma (false dichotomy): where two alternative statements are held to be the only possible options, when in reality there are more.
My good person, urs is truely a baseless WAGER. infact, it is a fallacious one.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Again, ur assumption is baseless. What u are using is fake logic. or logical fallacy. look it up, ur defenitely being illogical. i believe urs is the fallacy of assumption. nvm i looked it up its --> and/or
My good person, urs is truely a baseless WAGER. infact, it is a fallacious one.

Your denial is noted....I'll pass it on.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Wake up!....obviously when I say nothing to look forward to...I am referring to the next life.

Yes, we know. However, we're trying to tell you that we have things to look forward to. Since there is no next life we look forward to things in the only life we do have.

If you don't believe in the life after death....eternal darkness of the grave will have you.

And even if you do believe in life after death, eternal darkness of the grave will have you.

I believe in life after death...not because of a book...not because someone told me to....etc, etc,etc,....
I believe because I have suffered serious injury, and those injuries failed to stop my thinking and my feeling.

What? So, you believe in life after death because you got really hurt but didn't actually die? That makes sense. :rolleyes:

I believe because there are 6billion opportunities for the making of unique spiritual lives. (souls)

I believe there are 6 billion opportunities for making unique lives here on earth.

Now if all you have is this immediate moment....fine...enjoy.
But when you lay down to breath your last breath, you might be surprised.
What if you keep on thinking....feeling...dreaming....

Then, I'll figure out what to do with it when I get there. Right now there's no reason to believe that'll happen.

What if your apathy and disbelief should render you unable to escape your flesh? You can't do so now...even though you think you are in control.

What?

If philosophy and religion fail you in such matters....try Edgar Allen Poe's ...Premature Burial.

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

There is nothing in atheist logic that makes certain there is no life after death.

No, there's not. However, there's no reason to believe that there is life after death. I'm sure if you polled atheists, you'd find that almost all of them would say they'd like to think there's something after death, but that they don't think there is.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, we know. However, we're trying to tell you that we have things to look forward to. Since there is no next life we look forward to things in the only life we do have.

"(You overlooked the cause for the rebuttal)

And even if you do believe in life after death, eternal darkness of the grave will have you.

No. The spirit leaves the body.

What? So, you believe in life after death because you got really hurt but didn't actually die? That makes sense. :rolleyes:

Only to say the mind can continue in spite of neural losses.

I believe there are 6 billion opportunities for making unique lives here on earth.

...which end in this world and continue into the next.

Then, I'll figure out what to do with it when I get there. Right now there's no reason to believe that'll happen.

Then it may be to late.....no preparation.

What?

Huh? What does that have to do with anything?

No, there's not. However, there's no reason to believe that there is life after death. I'm sure if you polled atheists, you'd find that almost all of them would say they'd like to think there's something after death, but that they don't think there is.

No need for the poll.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What...so you don't believe?
Why then be bothered?

If you are correct...you die...end of story.
If I am correct...I go on without you.

And there it is. As was stated before, you implied Pascal's Wager, but here you just flat out state it.

If we're both wrong, we might both end up in some other god's hell.

If we're both wrong, but the real god values not believing in him over believing in some other god, then you could end up in hell while I end up in that god's heaven.

I guess that leaves us both with the same probability of eternal bliss.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So...you actually think...denial will cross over?

I know of only one possible exception...you're not him.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I believe that theists could possibly be happier. They have this uber father figure who is looking after them, thats gotta be a source of relief
I'm sorry, but not ALL Theist have this. We are not all the same with the same god and what not. Try again friend ^_^
Oh and I am quite happy.
And to answer the OP, No (even as a Theist) I do not believer there is a down-side to Atheism.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Your denial is noted....I'll pass it on.
:confused:: thank you kindly... but its not just denial, its evidence that ur ilogical by definition, doesn't that strike you? although i guess i could be wrong if be some magical way you manage not to die, and the assumptions you make of this true possibility come true. or you could be throwing ur soul away, or spliting it into a thousand pieces, or forcing it to reincarnate in a lower path of pain, or you could go to the 7th heaven instead of the 1st, or you go to a alternate universe, etc... i could go on, im just saying dude; get out of the city, there's a world of possibilities out there (for atheists too).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
:confused:: thank you kindly... but its not just denial, its evidence that ur ilogical by definition, doesn't that strike you? although i guess i could be wrong if be some magical way you manage not to die, and the assumptions you make of this true possibility come true. or you could be throwing ur soul away, or spliting it into a thousand pieces, or forcing it to reincarnate in a lower path of pain, or you could go to the 7th heaven instead of the 1st, or you go to a alternate universe, etc... i could go on, im just saying dude; get out of the city, there's a world of possibilities out there (for atheists too).

Possibilities...yes...but preparation is needed.
You can't expect to have ability without practice.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
This explains why theists so dangerous. They have relatively little regard for this fleeting life on Earth. After all, it's just a prelude to the eternal life afterwords. So let's fly a plane into a building; let's blow ourselves up in a crowd, let's do whatever it takes to please our god. Just look at what Abraham was prepared to do to. "Right" and "wrong" are not part of a theist's vocabulary. Only "sin". i.e., "displeasing (their) god" dictates their behavior.
Woo I'm sorry, but your gross generalization of Theist is wrong. We are not all like this, and for you to use Abraham for the example and (I'm guessing) knowing only Christian and other similar religion don't know enough about other ones out there to make a non-bias opinion. I am a Theist and I have all the love in the world for the Life I have on this Earth and for the Earth Her-Self, and for those that I love. So please don't make it out to say all Theist are alike.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Possibilities...yes...but preparation is needed.
You can't expect to have ability without practice.
but how will you prepare?
i see my words fall before blind eyes. to you, you were right from the beginning; ignorance is bliss yet as a wise man pennamed Voltair once told :
dought is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
No. The spirit leaves the body.

According to you. Good luck with that.

Only to say the mind can continue in spite of neural losses.

Of course it can. The mind can continue with a lot of neural losses. There are millions of people who've done tons of drugs that can attest to that. That has nothing to do with life after death, though.

...which end in this world and continue into the next.

Maybe, maybe not.

Then it may be to late.....no preparation.

Too late for what? Preparation for what?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
So...you actually think...denial will cross over?

What do you mean denial crossing over? Are you trying to say that because I don't think there's anything after this life that there won't be anything for me after this life? You're saying that the belief in an afterlife is what decides whether or not you get an afterlife? If that's what you're saying, then, yes, I'm saying you're completely wrong, and that's ridiculous.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
What do you mean denial crossing over? Are you trying to say that because I don't think there's anything after this life that there won't be anything for me after this life? You're saying that the belief in an afterlife is what decides whether or not you get an afterlife? If that's what you're saying, then, yes, I'm saying you're completely wrong, and that's ridiculous.

I was completely dumbfounded when I discovered that's exactly what he's saying too. It almost feels like you're just misunderstanding him because the claim is so bizarre.