• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

Liam Anderson

Determined Guardian
From my perspective, the only downside to atheism is denying yourself something. Granted, this is something you don't want to experience but then, you don't know it, hence you don't know what it is you are missing. If you want to live your life to the fullest, religion is or may also be a part of life you are tossing out.

To me it looks like you were living inside Matrix and take the blue pill. No chance to even see if there is anything out there. And I don't mean afterlife alone, I mean the spirituality right here and now.

Last edited:

linwood

From my perspective, the only downside to atheism is denying yourself something. Granted, this is something you don't want to experience but then, you don't know it, hence you don't know what it is you are missing. If you want to live your life to the fullest, religion is or may also be a part of life you are tossing out. To me it looks like you were living inside Matrix and take the blue pill. No chance to even see if there is anything out there. And I don't mean afterlife alone, I mean the spirituality right here and now.

Why do you believe spirituality must involve a god?

Last edited:

linwood

I don't. I'm only pointing out that it can - and you reject this particular kind of spirituality.

But your original assertion seems to rest on the premise that spirituality involves a god considering it`s directly towards atheists.

Originally Posted by Liam Anderson
From my perspective, the only downside to atheism is denying yourself something. Granted, this is something you don't want to experience but then, you don't know it, hence you don't know what it is you are missing. If you want to live your life to the fullest, religion is or may also be a part of life you are tossing out. To me it looks like you were living inside Matrix and take the blue pill. No chance to even see if there is anything out there. And I don't mean afterlife alone, I mean the spirituality right here and now.

If a god is not necessary for spirituality then how does a lack of belief in a god hamper ones spirituality?

Liam Anderson

Determined Guardian
But your original assertion seems to rest on the premise that spirituality involves a god considering it`s directly towards atheists.

If a god is not necessary for spirituality then how does a lack of belief in a god hamper ones spirituality?

Define spirituality without God, please.
If you believe in various kinds of spirituality, that's your prerogative, though. Again, I'm saying you are missing the one that involves God. We can go into more details if you grant my request above. Without it, I have no arguments to support my claim.

Liam Anderson

Determined Guardian
truely, u are missing the greatness of polygamy. ummm i mean polytheism. actually both ;). Downsides suckkkk.

I thought we were debating atheists? Yes, they are missing polytheism as well as many other things, I suppose. Polygamy is an entirely different matter. ;)

linwood

Define spirituality without God, please.

Secular spirituality also carries connotations of an individual having a spiritual outlook which is more personalized, less structured, more open to new ideas/influences, and more pluralistic than that of the doctrinal faiths of organized religions. At one end of the spectram, even some atheists are spiritual; Whilst atheism tends to lean towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims and the existence of an actual 'spirit', for some atheists being "Spiritual" can be defined as nurturing thoughts, emotions, words and actions that are in harmony with the idea that the entire universe is, in some way, connected; even if only by the mysterious flow of cause and effect at every scale.
Spirituality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you believe in various kinds of spirituality, that's your prerogative, though. Again, I'm saying you are missing the one that involves God.

Indeed though aren`t we all missing some "type" of spirituality?
I`m quite sure the immensity and consilience of the Tao is something you are missing.
:)
We all can`t have it all can we?

We can go into more details if you grant my request above. Without it, I have no arguments to support my claim.

Definition posted.

Thanks Liam

Liam Anderson

Determined Guardian
Well, linwood, if you put it this way, I can only tell you that you are missing the presence of a Friend in your "nurturing thoughts, emotions, words and actions that are in harmony with the idea that the entire universe is, in some way, connected".

I wish I could describe it better but for me, it's a very personal experience, one that is not easily put in words. As I understand it (please, correct me if I'm wrong), your spirituality is experiencing some kind of harmony with the rest of the world, right?

In my spirituality, I go beyond that, encompassing the entire universe and so much more. May be because I'm also a science-fiction nerd but the way I see, or should I say, feel God allows me to experience infinite numbers of universes in indefinite combinations and yet all still in harmony. The afterlife, the prelife, the existence of other creatures such as angels and so on.

But most importantly spirituality the way I live it allows me to experience myself as a creature loved by God. We all struggle to be loved here, on Earth. We pursue romance, we have parents and children, we love our friends - but no earthly love compares to the one you can feel from God.

God created everything, Tao included. How do I miss Tao? Tao is the power of God. :D

linwood

I wish I could describe it better but for me, it's a very personal experience, one that is not easily put in words. As I understand it (please, correct me if I'm wrong), your spirituality is experiencing some kind of harmony with the rest of the world, right?

With the whole of the cosmos yes.
It`s an almost intuitive enlightening of who I am, where I am, why I am, and where I`m going supported by a learned understanding of the universe around me.

But most importantly spirituality the way I live it allows me to experience myself as a creature loved by God. We all struggle to be loved here, on Earth. We pursue romance, we have parents and children, we love our friends - but no earthly love compares to the one you can feel from God.

To me spirituality is a far more personal thing.
In order for me to gain understanding I must be influenced by something/someone that touches me personally on an intimate level.

I`ve found no concept of god that fits that bill.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
From my perspective, the only downside to atheism is denying yourself something. Granted, this is something you don't want to experience but then, you don't know it, hence you don't know what it is you are missing. If you want to live your life to the fullest, religion is or may also be a part of life you are tossing out.
You assume to much.