• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any miniaturists here?

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
For me, the most amazing dollhouse is the Colleen Moore Fairy Castle, it's on display at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry. Colleen Moore was a famous silent movie star and absolutely loved, loved, loved dollhouses. She had a set designer and 100 workers build this castle and the beauty of it is much of it works; actual books with complete texts, running faucets, playable instruments. I don't know how much she spent to build it but, as you can imagine, it's worth several millions of dollars today.

Link: Museum of Science & Industry: "The Original Tiny House"

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Got sucked into watching the Colleen Moore vid and forgot the other house I wanted to mention. o_O:smile: One of my favorite YouTubers is Ara of Bentley House Miniatures. I found her when she was finishing work on her Addams Family Mansion, which is older than her kids (she started it before starting a family)! IIRC, it's been an 11-year project. Currently, it's on display at The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures in Tucson, AZ (until Nov. 23rd).

This vid has some of the final projects on the mansion and a full tour of the completed house is at 29:17.

She has a whole playlist on various stages of it here. Most recently, she's been building (from scratch) a recreation of the Beetlejuice House, playlist here. She also has tons of other vids on how she builds various objects, room boxes, etc. Her channel's a real treasure trove.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I love the videos you posted, @Callisto! I've always enjoyed Ara Bentley's videos, too!

If you like gothic, here's the master bedroom I created for my own gothic dollhouse:

20230517_123735.jpg

The flooring is a spiderweb design I sealed with Mod Podge. I made the bed from scratch, using a costume jewelry pin for the headboard. I found these cute skull beads and used them as bedpost toppers. The wallpaper I found online, recolored in blue, and printed up in sheets for my walls. I think it may be an Edward Gorey design wallpaper, but I don't remember. I've used a number of Edward Gorey designs as wallpaper in the other rooms for this gothic dollhouse.

Tagging others who have shown an interest in this thread: @Debater Slayer, @Harel13, @JustGeorge, @ChristineM, @Sand Dancer, @JDMS, @The Hammer

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I love the videos you posted, @Callisto! I've always enjoyed Ara Bentley's videos, too!

If you like gothic, here's the master bedroom I created for my own gothic dollhouse:

View attachment 77060
The flooring is a spiderweb design I sealed with Mod Podge. I made the bed from scratch, using a costume jewelry pin for the headboard. I found these cute skull beads and used them as bedpost toppers. The wallpaper I found online, recolored in blue, and printed up in sheets for my walls. I think it may be an Edward Gorey design wallpaper, but I don't remember. I've used a number of Edward Gorey designs as wallpaper in the other rooms for this gothic dollhouse.

Tagging others who have shown an interest in this thread: @Debater Slayer, @Harel13, @JustGeorge, @ChristineM, @Sand Dancer, @JDMS, @The Hammer

I'm obsessed! Your work is as meticulous as your posts are :hearteyes:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 77060

Wow. So much attention to detail, down to the title of the book! I love this! :clapping:

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

View attachment 77060

That's beautiful. I especially like the floor and the large "plague doctor mask" type skull.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I've always enjoyed Ara Bentley's videos, too!

She's really great, I've learned a lot watching her. I also enjoy My Froggy Stuff. She's mostly 1:6 scale and a big Barbie fan but she's very talented at making affordable miniatures and she has clever ways of making collapsible room boxes (so she can cram more projects into her she shed LOL).

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just giving someone a tip on how to avoid the expense of ready-made dollhouse wallpaper by instead finding images online that can be adapted.

The wallpaper in the two rooms below (in my gothic dollhouse) came from images of Edward Gorey's artwork. I copied the images, resized them, tinted them light purple before printing them out, and then trimmed and pasted them to the walls in the two rooms you see below.

The canopy bed in the first room pictured is my own creation. The other bits and pieces are Halloween miniatures I found at Michael's craft store. I also couldn't resist using a small figure I had of Morticia Addams for the second room pictured.

PXL_20230718_013657806.jpg

PXL_20230718_013742955.jpg

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Untitled(2).jpg

Wishing all a Happy Halloween, from my miniature house of horrors to whatever Halloweenish abode in which you abide!

(The figures in my house are all tiny characters from Game of Thrones that I found and thought could use a good home.)

I'm posting not only for Halloween, but also for those who need to take a brief (and no doubt much-needed) break into fantasy horror, from the real horrors in this world. Halloween has its purposes -- both sacred for our Pagan friends, and therapeutic for many of the rest of us.

Anyone else have any Halloween creations of your own? @JustGeorge? @ChristineM? @Callisto?, @JDMS?

Any suggestions for a good Halloween horror movie tonight? @Debater Slayer?

@The Hammer, this will be Alder and Ash's first Halloween, right? I know that you have much to celebrate with their arrival, and I'm wishing the babies good health.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
View attachment 84142

Wishing all a Happy Halloween, from my miniature house of horrors to whatever Halloweenish abode in which you abide!

(The figures in my house are all tiny characters from Game of Thrones that I found and thought could use a good home.)

I'm posting not only for Halloween, but also for those who need to take a brief (and no doubt much-needed) break into fantasy horror, from the real horrors in this world. Halloween has its purposes -- both sacred for our Pagan friends, and therapeutic for many of the rest of us.

Anyone else have any Halloween creations of your own? @JustGeorge? @ChristineM? @Callisto?, @JDMS?

@The Hammer, this will be Alder and Ash's first Halloween, right? I know that you have much to celebrate with their arrival, and I'm wishing the babies good health.
That's beautiful!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anyone else have any Halloween creations of your own?

That's one spooky house you have there, very nice.

The only thing we have made for Halloween is...
20231031_193558.jpg

A piece of hollowed out log and carved with a candle inside. It's placed in the window to advertise treats are available here.

Edit
Saves doing a pumpkin every year

Last edited:

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
View attachment 84142

Sadly not :(

This build is gorgeous, though!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
View attachment 84142

Beautiful work! You've clearly put so much passion into that. Thanks for sharing it here!

Of course! I know you like folk horror, so I'll focus on that with a tinge of supernatural and psychological horror. In descending order from most to least disturbing:
  • The Medium (Thai folk horror with extreme, heavy themes; not advised for newcomers to horror. Co-written and co-produced by the writer and director of The Wailing).
  • Impetigore (Indonesian folk horror. Quite dark and violent).
  • Noroi: The Curse (Japanese found-footage folk horror. In my opinion, it is one of the best found-footage horror movies of all time).
  • Incantation (Taiwanese folk horror with Buddhist themes).
  • Triangle (British psychological horror with a supernatural touch. Not folk horror but extensively borrows from Greek mythology, with a focus on suspense and atmosphere).
All of these are also supernatural horror. I would have recommended The Queen of Black Magic, which is another supernatural-folk horror movie from Indonesia (from the same director as Impetigore), but it's depressing due to a specific realistic theme and arguably even heavier than The Medium.

I hope you have a nice Halloween! Let me know which of the above, if any, you end up watching and what you think of it.