• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any miniaturists here?

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Here are some photos that I took last May when I visited the model village in Bourton-on-the-Water, that I'd previously posted about:

The model buildings are made of locally quarried stone and are actually quite big -- waist-high (see video in link above).

20230504_142040.jpg

20230504_142051.jpg

20230504_141204.jpg

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Here are some photos that I took last May when I visited the model village in Bourton-on-the-Water, that I'd previously posted about:

The model buildings are made of locally quarried stone and are actually quite big -- some of them being waist-high (at least, on me).

View attachment 85110

View attachment 85111

View attachment 85112
They are very realistic!

I'm going to put that place on my list of places I want to go to

Little Dragon

Did you see my post in this thread about Bourton-on-the-Water and their model village? Have either of you been there?
I have not yet had the opportunity to visit, but I should to get some ideas for forthcoming projects, with Dungeons and Dragons themed gaming, involving tabletop scenery for that fantasy immersion! Gonna need stone walls and old world buildings and constructs. Was thinking of creating a stone circle atop a low mound or hill, loosely based on Stone Henge, For a unique fantasy setting.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems like after we bought our dollhouse kit, the belly of the underworld was unleashed in my home, and its been untouched until this week. Things have calmed down enough that we've begun. Though, with Ares overseeing, its been more rapid than meticulous.

He also sat on the roof piece and cracked it before its even been put on...

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is a kosher kitchen that I had created awhile back.

IMG_5002(1).jpg

For those unfamiliar with kosher kitchens, there are two sides of the kitchen, each with its own sink and stove. The left side in my kitchen is for preparing meat dishes (fleishig, in Yiddish), and right side is for preparing dairy dishes (milchig in Yiddish). We don't mix meat with dairy, so a meal has got to be one or the other. Fish is considered to be neither meat nor dairy (it's pareve, meaning "neutral"), so even though I have the platter of lox with sliced onion on the "meat" side of the kitchen, it would be fine on either side.

Even the dishes have to be kept separate, meat from dairy, and you can see that from the two separate wall cabinets with different patterned sets of dishes so they don't get mixed up. In a kosher kitchen, the meat and dairy dishes also have to be washed separately from each other.

Although I don't have a kosher kitchen like this in my own home, my synagogue has a fully-equipped, kosher kitchen (as do many synagogues).

The sinks and stoves weren't made by me -- they are plastic toys that I used. But the wallpapering, wooden moldings, tiling, and wooden cabinets, are mine. The cabinets were miniature bookcases that I sawed down to fit on the walls, sanded, and painted white. The open window in the center of the kitchen was made from a wall mural that I found online, took a screen-shot of, resized, printed, and then pasted into the kitchen. I also added the small light in the ceiling.

Here is a close-up of a section of the kitchen.

IMG_5004(1).jpg

I chose this section to highlight, because it shows my bottle of wine with the Manischewitz label. The little wine bottle itself was something I found at Michael's Crafts, but I made the Manischewitz label from an online screen-shot of a Manischewitz wine bottle, resized it, printed it, and then pasted it onto the bottle.

I actually can't stand Manischewitz wine, as it's too sweet for my taste. There are better kosher wines to be found. I used Manischewitz, though, as a kind of joke, because a lot of my friends can't stand the too-sweet taste of Manischewitz, either. Many folks associate Manischewitz with Jewish dinner tables, though, because Manischewitz has been around since the late 1800s and there was a time when it was practically the only available kosher wine to be found in the U.S.

Tagging some of you who may be enjoying these miniatures: @JustGeorge @JDMS @Callisto @libre @Brickjectivity @metis @Eddi @Quagmire @Debater Slayer @mangalavara @rocala @VoidCat

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

View attachment 86205

For those unfamiliar with kosher kitchens, there are two sides of the kitchen, each with its own sink and stove. The left side in my kitchen is for preparing meat dishes (fleishig, in Yiddish), and right side is for preparing dairy dishes (milchig in Yiddish). We don't mix meat with dairy, so a meal has got to be one or the other. Fish is considered to be neither meat nor dairy (it's pareve, meaning "neutral"), so even though I have the platter of lox with sliced onion on the "meat" side of the kitchen, it would be fine on either side.

Even the dishes have to be kept separate, meat from dairy, and you can see that from the two separate wall cabinets with different patterned sets of dishes so they don't get mixed up. In a kosher kitchen, the meat and dairy dishes also have to be washed separately from each other.

Although I don't have a kosher kitchen like this in my own home, my synagogue has a fully-equipped, kosher kitchen (as do many synagogues).

The sinks and stoves weren't made by me -- they are plastic toys that I used. But the wallpapering, wooden moldings, tiling, and wooden cabinets, are mine. The cabinets were miniature bookcases that I sawed down to fit on the walls, sanded, and painted white. The open window in the center of the kitchen was made from a wall mural that I found online, took a screen-shot of, resized, printed, and then pasted into the kitchen. I also added the small light in the ceiling.

View attachment 86206

I chose this section to highlight, because it shows my bottle of wine with the Manischewitz label. The little wine bottle itself was something I found at Michael's Crafts, but I made the Manischewitz label from an online screen-shot of a Manischewitz wine bottle, resized it, printed it, and then pasted it onto the bottle.

I actually can't stand Manischewitz wine, as it's too sweet for my taste. There are better kosher wines to be found. I used Manischewitz, though, as a kind of joke, because a lot of my friends can't stand the too-sweet taste of Manischewitz, either. Many folks associate Manischewitz with Jewish dinner tables, though, because Manischewitz has been around since the late 1800s and there was a time when it was practically the only available kosher wine to be found in the U.S.

Tagging some of you who may be enjoying these miniatures: @JustGeorge @JDMS @Callisto @libre @Brickjectivity @metis @Eddi @Quagmire @Debater Slayer @mangalavara @rocala @VoidCat
I knew there was kosher food but I didn't know about kosher kitchens!

What is your next project?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 86205

View attachment 86206

I'll take a glass of Manischewitz! :D (Maybe a little bigger one, though.)

I love it!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, kids can't resist playing with dollhouses. I guess they don't realize that these are grown-ups' toys! :)

The room in my picture in the OP is part of a dollhouse that I got real cheap from a junk shop. It wasn't anything fancy -- basically just a square shape with a triangular top for a roof. The window that you see in the picture is something I put in myself (plus I added windows to the other rooms). The "wallpaper" border that you see up near the ceiling is actually washi tape. The "Persian carpet" on the floor is a mouse pad. Occasionally I'll splurge on the price for something special, like the antique sofa in the room. But mostly I try to see what I can do with the cheapest materials that I can find.

I grew up on The Borrowers children's novels -- those books about a family of tiny people who "borrow" everyday household items from humans and adapt them for their own home. I guess that's what inspired me!
I think a lot of adults have a little kid inside.

My father used to have miniature trains like Lionel sets and stuff and layouts, my whole family was like that.

For me my physical toy box is gone, but I keep all my toys now in video games, and I don't have to put them away either. :O)

More kids and they're grown up counterparts, and one of the most fun settings in the world......

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

View attachment 86205

View attachment 86206

Thanks for posting this-- so neat! But let me just say I won't even wash my socks in Manischewitz! ;)

libre

Skylark

View attachment 86205

View attachment 86206

The miniature porcelain gave me some unexpected flashbacks to my youth.
Lovely work