• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are All Ten Commandments Binding on WHO?

Arlanbb

There is a poll going on about the Ten Commandments with about 75% of those on the RF voting that the Ten Commandments are binding but they don't say they are binding on WHO. The question is WHO are they binding upon - is it the Jewish people only, the Christian, other religious people or the whole world?

When we look in the Hebrew scriptures the 10 commandments were given to the children of God, the Israelits. I see no indication in the Hebrew bible that God told the Isrealites to take the 10 commandments and proclaim it to the rest of the world. In fact these commandments were mainly given to the Isrealites that were living in one place in the world where the weather is mostly on the warm side most of the year. If a Israelite, of 4000 years ago, had gone to the artic circle where the sun stays up in the sky 24/7 in the summer and stays out of sight for 24/7 in the winter that Israelite would have problems observing the Sabbath Day.

Most Christians think that all 10 commandments are still binding for Jew and Christian and any one else that they can proslyte. BUT they have changed the Sabbath commandments to worship on Sunday not on the 7th day of the week. The bible says God never changes. any comments ??? arlan

Yid613

When we look in the Hebrew scriptures the 10 commandments were given to the children of God, the Israelits. I see no indication in the Hebrew bible that God told the Isrealites to take the 10 commandments and proclaim it to the rest of the world.
This is true, they are binding on us and we do not encorge others to follow them. However the The Seven Laws of Noah were given and are binding on all.

In fact these commandments were mainly given to the Isrealites that were living in one place in the world where the weather is mostly on the warm side most of the year. If a Israelite, of 4000 years ago, had gone to the artic circle where the sun stays up in the sky 24/7 in the summer and stays out of sight for 24/7 in the winter that Israelite would have problems observing the Sabbath Day.

Not true Moses also received the Oral Law. Using principals it contains we are able to determine how the start and end of the Sabbath can be calculated when near the poles, in an airplane, aboard a ship, or in space. At the poles we use the time of the closes Jewish settlement. In an airplane we use the time of the ground under us. Aboard a ship or in space we use the time of the port we left. This is all based on when Moses was given.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I suppose they would be binding on those who believe in them. I believe in them, so they would be binding to me-- I just don't know how to handle the Sabbath (stupid me).

AK4

There is a poll going on about the Ten Commandments with about 75% of those on the RF voting that the Ten Commandments are binding but they don't say they are binding on WHO. The question is WHO are they binding upon - is it the Jewish people only, the Christian, other religious people or the whole world?

When we look in the Hebrew scriptures the 10 commandments were given to the children of God, the Israelits. I see no indication in the Hebrew bible that God told the Isrealites to take the 10 commandments and proclaim it to the rest of the world. In fact these commandments were mainly given to the Isrealites that were living in one place in the world where the weather is mostly on the warm side most of the year. If a Israelite, of 4000 years ago, had gone to the artic circle where the sun stays up in the sky 24/7 in the summer and stays out of sight for 24/7 in the winter that Israelite would have problems observing the Sabbath Day.

Most Christians think that all 10 commandments are still binding for Jew and Christian and any one else that they can proslyte. BUT they have changed the Sabbath commandments to worship on Sunday not on the 7th day of the week. The bible says God never changes. any comments ??? arlan

The ten commandments are binding. Jesus said we are to follow these on a level that far exceeds that of the pharisees

Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

How do you do that when the pharisees follow all the commandments to the strict level? (Well at least they tried). Well how do you? You do it on the spiritual level. For example, thou shall not commit adultery---Jesus says that even looking a women with lust is committing adultery. If hand causes you to sin (how many different ways can your hand cause you to sin--this is not just saying "thou shall not steal", it goes on a much higher level) cut it off--this isnt talking literally.

Jesus fulfilled the law. He completed the law. It isnt possible for man to follow the Law. That is why Jesus came. He did it all for us. Read Romans 7 and 8 and you should see this.

As for the fourth commandment, how do you follow this commandment on a level that far exceeds the pharisees? Is it a certain day of worship that will do this? The Sabbath? Sunday? Friday? Are their certain special days you can do this? All the Holy Days? Christmas and Easter? Any other days i didnt mention? How do you do exceed?

You keep the sabbath daily. You follow all the commandment daily. You do all this on a spiritual level. When you do this you die daily to sin. Just doing this on a certain day/certain days is not worshipping Him in spirit and Truth daily and is not worshipping Him with all your might and all your soul.

Luk 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

1Co 15:31
I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

When people start thinking that because i worship on certain days or have this baptism or am circumcised and all the other stuff, they get all puffed up and makes them boast.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, Col 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Rom 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

2Co 11:17 That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting.

Hope this helps, In Jesus,

Anthony

tomspug

Absorbant
The commandments are binding on anyone who hears them. It's like if you're a kid and you aren't aware of the laws. If you do something wrong, but didn't know it was wrong, there isn't any guilt. But if you know that there are things you shouldn't do and do them anyway, that's breaking a law.

Dunemeister

The ten commandments are binding. Jesus said we are to follow these on a level that far exceeds that of the pharisees

Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

How do you do that when the pharisees follow all the commandments to the strict level? (Well at least they tried). Well how do you? You do it on the spiritual level. For example, thou shall not commit adultery---Jesus says that even looking a women with lust is committing adultery. If hand causes you to sin (how many different ways can your hand cause you to sin--this is not just saying "thou shall not steal", it goes on a much higher level) cut it off--this isnt talking literally.

Jesus fulfilled the law. He completed the law. It isnt possible for man to follow the Law. That is why Jesus came. He did it all for us. Read Romans 7 and 8 and you should see this.

As for the fourth commandment, how do you follow this commandment on a level that far exceeds the pharisees? Is it a certain day of worship that will do this? The Sabbath? Sunday? Friday? Are their certain special days you can do this? All the Holy Days? Christmas and Easter? Any other days i didnt mention? How do you do exceed?

You keep the sabbath daily. You follow all the commandment daily. You do all this on a spiritual level. When you do this you die daily to sin. Just doing this on a certain day/certain days is not worshipping Him in spirit and Truth daily and is not worshipping Him with all your might and all your soul.

Luk 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

1Co 15:31
I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

When people start thinking that because i worship on certain days or have this baptism or am circumcised and all the other stuff, they get all puffed up and makes them boast.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, Col 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Rom 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

2Co 11:17 That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting.

Hope this helps, In Jesus,

Anthony

I think this represents a fairly mainline evangelical line, although a misguided one insofar as it tries to accommodate Jesus' strange sermon by making it somehow a clumsy parroting of Paul's theology (as understood by Calvin). This attitude is betrayed in AK4's post by the fact that he quickly leaves Jesus behind and emphasizes Paul. This is an unfortunate evangelical habit. I think some comments are in order here.

Jesus didn't chastise the Pharisees because they didn't keep the Sabbath well enough or follow any of the other laws well enough. He chastised them for forgetting compassion in the implementation of justice. Recall that he provoked the Pharisees by healing sick people on the Sabbath. Turning the Sabbath from a day of rest from burdens into a burden itself, the Pharisees considered the healing an act of work and therefore out of bounds on a day designed for rest. In that way, the Pharisees had forgotten compassion. Jesus quite rightly took them to task for this attitude.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus was not spiritualizing the law, as if the Pharisees were concerned only with outward actions rather than inward intentions. (This is a gross mischaracterization of the Pharisees that is not supported by the NT text, not to mention general history). It's also not clear that he had only the Pharisees in mind. He might also have been targeting the Saduccees and the Essenes. He was certainly targeting the Zealots. But, just as any of these other groups would have been doing, he was calling his people to a high level of commitment by reminding them the high calling the law set before them. Indeed, this is the sort of activity one would expect from someone who saw himself in prophetic terms.

Jesus' Sermon wasn't a clumsy way of pre-stating Calvin's theology about the helplessness of sinners before a wise and angry God. Moreover, the Pharisees never thought that it was possible to keep all the points of the law consistently over their lifetime. So Jesus wasn't correcting them on that point. And Jesus wasn't pressing that point home to demonstrate the sinfulness of those who listened to his sermon. Such a demonstration wasn't necessary. Jewish theology of the day took for granted that people sin regularly and required God's forgiveness. What else was the temple for if not to facilitate that forgiveness? Indeed, Jesus says absolutely nothing about soteriology (theory of salvation) as such in the Sermon.

Jesus' solution was not "spiritual" as opposed to....whatever you are contrasting it with. Jesus expected Israel (actually, the reconstituted and reformulated "Israel" with him at the center and as head) to follow the commandments, I think. But he wanted the people to keep mercy at the center of them.

But the original OP asks a pertinent question. Upon whom are the ten commandments binding? I'd say that they are binding on the people of God because they are a paradigmatic expression about how the people of God are to live. Jews certainly see themselves as fulfilling that definition, so they will see this as no problem. Christians likewise see themselves as fulfilling that definition, but their appropriation of these laws is somewhat nuanced/complicated by their assertion that Jesus has somehow relativized the law and propounded a new law for the people of God. So the Ten Commandments apply to Christians, but perspectives differ on exactly how. As for the rest of humanity who do not acknowledge YHWH or Jesus as Lord, it's hard to say how the Ten Commandments would apply to them. The Commandments were given as part of a covenant. If you're not a party to the covenant, how can the terms of that covenant apply to you?

mikmik

...WHO are they binding upon - is it the Jewish people only, the Christian, other religious people or the whole world?

When we look in the Hebrew scriptures the 10 commandments were given to the children of God, the Israelits. I see no indication in the Hebrew bible that God told the Isrealites to take the 10 commandments and proclaim it to the rest of the world....

First of all, when God created the Sabbath, blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, there were no Jews to be found on the face of the planet earth. Man was created already of course, but the races had not been established, and were not for quite some years. The Sabbath was made for man, not Jews.

Second, just because you didn't see the commandments written until Moses, that doesn't mean that they didn't exist prior to that. Sin is transgression of the law. Without the law, there is no sin. But we see sin spoken of in Genesis 4, then we see Cain sin. So the commandments existed right from man's beginning, and again, there were no Jews yet. The commandments were made for man, not Jews.

By the way.. I see you went back and forth with the word Israelites and the word Jews, but these words are not interchangeable... There was the kingdom of Israel and the kingdom of Judah (the Jews)... two different peoples.

Some proof that the 10 commandments were intended for the rest of the world..........

Psalm 22.27 All the ends of the world Shall remember and turn to the LORD, And all the families of the nations Shall worship before You. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD’s, And He rules over the nations... (Judah and Israel are not specified,, ALL families)

Zech 14.17 (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which the LORD strikes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. (Judah and Israel are not specified,, all nations shall come and worship,, keeping the Feast of Tabernacles which is an annual Sabbath, which makes it part of the 4th commandment. If they do not, they will be punished, whomever they are.)

Micah 4.1 (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD’s house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And peoples shall flow to it. 2 Many nations shall come and say, “ Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths.” For out of Zion the law shall go forth, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 He shall judge between many peoples,,,

Isaiah 66. (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) 23 And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD. 24 “ And they shall go forth and look Upon the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. (Yes, the Sabbath will still be a part of God's great plan, because God does not change!)

Isaiah 56. (Salvation for the Gentiles) 1 Thus says the LORD: “ Keep justice, and do righteousness, For My salvation is about to come, And My righteousness to be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man who does this, And the son of man who lays hold on it; Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And keeps his hand from doing any evil.” 3 Do not let the son of the foreigner Who has joined himself to the LORD Speak, saying, “ The LORD has utterly separated me from His people”; Nor let the eunuch say, “ Here I am, a dry tree.” 4 For thus says the LORD: “ To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant, 5 Even to them I will give in My house And within My walls a place and a name Better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name That shall not be cut off. 6 “ Also the sons of the foreigner Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants— Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And holds fast My covenant— 7 Even them I will bring to My holy mountain, And make them joyful in My house of prayer... (The Sabbath and the commandments were meant to be a identifier of God's people. So all people will eventually get the chose to be a part of the covenant, and if the so choose, that will be known by their actions, because this is how we show our love of God, by keeping his commandments. 1 John 5.2)

mik

mikmik

How this covenant moved from Israel, to include all people...

Acts 13: 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. 44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. (Why the next Sabbath? Why not take this opportunity with new people to reveal that the seventh day Sabbath was not of importance? Why didn't he take this time to explain to the Gentiles that waiting for the next Sabbath wasn't needed, that they could meet the next day? The Gentiles would have been open to anything Paul would have taught them at that point. The answer,, because the weekly Sabbath, and the annual Sabbaths, were very much so a big and permanent part of being a Christian. They were teaching everyone to follow Christ, who came from the Jews,, all were to follow His example. And that meant that they needed to return on the next Sabbath) 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, &#8220;It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. (They didn't explain that there was a new gospel, a new covenant that voided the old, and new ways to learn about.. They explained that what they had taught to the Jews <The Old Covenant + Jesus Christ = The New Covenant> was now being extended to the Gentiles. <not that they must void the old and then bring forth some completely new idea... the 'new covenant' is more correctly translated into English as a 'renewed covenant'.. a huge part of the old still exists, but new elements had been added so that it is better.>) 47 For so the Lord has commanded us: &#8216; I have set you as a light to the Gentiles, That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.

Rom 11: 11 I say then, have they (Israel) stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. 12 Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness! 13 For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles (Not that he changed anything to qualify as a teacher of Gentiles, but that what he has been teaching all this time is now also meant for them.), I magnify my ministry, 14 if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15 For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 For if the firstfruit is holy , the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches (Israel,, and their disobedience to the first covenant) were broken off, and you (the Gentiles), being a wild olive tree (not a part of the original), were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, &#8220;Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.&#8221; 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree? 25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. (This clearly explains that the 'old covenant' that so many today will dismiss as irrelevant is the root of the Gentile's salvation. Israelites were broken off from God's covenant nation for disobedience, yet they will be grafted back in.. along with the gentiles who are now to become part of Israel spiritually. Numerous prophecies speak of the geographic/physical/flesh nation/seed of Israel coming together with the spiritual nation/seed. This is not a brand new 'club' for the Gentiles,, they are being brought into what was the promise to Israel, as the spiritual seed of Israel since they are not of the physical line of the old,, but it is still considered to be the seed of Israel. Yes, there was new and improved covenant, but it is not a stand alone covenant, just as stated above,, it is rooted in the old. Again.. The Old Covenant + Jesus Christ = The New Covenant.)

mik

Yid613

First of all, when God created the Sabbath, blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, there were no Jews to be found on the face of the planet earth. Man was created already of course, but the races had not been established, and were not for quite some years. The Sabbath was made for man, not Jews.

Second, just because you didn't see the commandments written until Moses, that doesn't mean that they didn't exist prior to that. Sin is transgression of the law. Without the law, there is no sin. But we see sin spoken of in Genesis 4, then we see Cain sin. So the commandments existed right from man's beginning, and again, there were no Jews yet. The commandments were made for man, not Jews.

By the way.. I see you went back and forth with the word Israelites and the word Jews, but these words are not interchangeable... There was the kingdom of Israel and the kingdom of Judah (the Jews)... two different peoples.

Some proof that the 10 commandments were intended for the rest of the world..........

Psalm 22.27 All the ends of the world Shall remember and turn to the LORD, And all the families of the nations Shall worship before You. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD’s, And He rules over the nations... (Judah and Israel are not specified,, ALL families)

Zech 14.17 (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which the LORD strikes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. (Judah and Israel are not specified,, all nations shall come and worship,, keeping the Feast of Tabernacles which is an annual Sabbath, which makes it part of the 4th commandment. If they do not, they will be punished, whomever they are.)

Micah 4.1 (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD’s house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And peoples shall flow to it. 2 Many nations shall come and say, “ Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths.” For out of Zion the law shall go forth, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 He shall judge between many peoples,,,

Isaiah 66. (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) 23 And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD. 24 “ And they shall go forth and look Upon the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. (Yes, the Sabbath will still be a part of God's great plan, because God does not change!)

Isaiah 56. (Salvation for the Gentiles) 1 Thus says the LORD: “ Keep justice, and do righteousness, For My salvation is about to come, And My righteousness to be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man who does this, And the son of man who lays hold on it; Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And keeps his hand from doing any evil.” 3 Do not let the son of the foreigner Who has joined himself to the LORD Speak, saying, “ The LORD has utterly separated me from His people”; Nor let the eunuch say, “ Here I am, a dry tree.” 4 For thus says the LORD: “ To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant, 5 Even to them I will give in My house And within My walls a place and a name Better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name That shall not be cut off. 6 “ Also the sons of the foreigner Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants— Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And holds fast My covenant— 7 Even them I will bring to My holy mountain, And make them joyful in My house of prayer... (The Sabbath and the commandments were meant to be a identifier of God's people. So all people will eventually get the chose to be a part of the covenant, and if the so choose, that will be known by their actions, because this is how we show our love of God, by keeping his commandments. 1 John 5.2)

mik

It’s speaking about righteous gentiles, those who follow the seven laws given to Noah.

Arlanbb

Yid613 ~ says "the Seven laws of Noah were given and are binding on all" Noah never lived, Noah never had a ark to float around in on water that covered the earth, Noah's deluge never happened so what ever Noah was to have said he really never said it. Please give us a date for Noah's deluge. There is a city in Lebanon called Byblos - people have been living continuously in it for the last 5000 years. Old Jericho had the first people living in it over 11,000 years ago and there was over 22 cities rebuilt on old Jerich down to about 500 years before Jesus. So please don't insult me by saying Noah said such in such. Noah and the deluge and the biblical creation and Adam and Eve and the first few ch. of Genesis never really was alive in the last 11,000 years.

At the north pole in the Artic during the summer there is no evening, sun disapering from view, and morning, sun comes into view. It is daylight all the time and the same for winter darkess all the time, no evening or morning. If a Israelite of 4000 years ago was in the artic at 40 degress below zero on the Sabbath he might freeze to death because he was not to build a fire on the Sabbath day or he might die of starvation because he might not eat the blubber.

arlan

The 10 commandments were given to the Iseralits

Dunemeister

Quite a lot actually. Why is it that xtains always seem to focus on sin? Sin offerings were only a small part of what went on there.

Yes, that's true. The temple served as (what we would call) the religious, cultural, political and economic center of the Jewish people. However, ONE function of the Temple was to facilitate the relationship of God with his people, and a BIG part of that was mediating breaches of the covenant (we call that "sin").

Yid613

Yid613 ~ says "the Seven laws of Noah were given and are binding on all" Noah never lived, Noah never had a ark to float around in on water that covered the earth, Noah's deluge never happened so what ever Noah was to have said he really never said it. Please give us a date for Noah's deluge. There is a city in Lebanon called Byblos - people have been living continuously in it for the last 5000 years. Old Jericho had the first people living in it over 11,000 years ago and there was over 22 cities rebuilt on old Jerich down to about 500 years before Jesus. So please don't insult me by saying Noah said such in such. Noah and the deluge and the biblical creation and Adam and Eve and the first few ch. of Genesis never really was alive in the last 11,000 years.

At the north pole in the Artic during the summer there is no evening, sun disapering from view, and morning, sun comes into view. It is daylight all the time and the same for winter darkess all the time, no evening or morning. If a Israelite of 4000 years ago was in the artic at 40 degress below zero on the Sabbath he might freeze to death because he was not to build a fire on the Sabbath day or he might die of starvation because he might not eat the blubber.

arlan

The 10 commandments were given to the Iseralits
Your saying Noah did not exist by Moses did ?????

Shabbos start and end time in the arctic would not be based on the local sunrise and sunset. You would not have a 6 month Shabbos, although that would be nice. :) Also you can build a fire to stop from freezing even on Shabbos. You can also eat blubber if that’s all there is.

Actually it was 613 commandments that were given.

MIKMIK ~ The creation story of the bible never happened. Give me a date when it did happened? arlan
25 Elul 1

MIKMIK ~ The creation story of the bible never happened. Give me a date when it did happened? arlan
Did it ever occur to you that you are not qualified to write this thread? I do not want to be mean but, if you are an atheist, how can you discus points of a religion that you do not believe in? I guess I am being technical. I have been posting on a forum that is overrun with atheists and I have learned to just walk away from them and never to bother discussing religion with them.
This sounds like an atheist statement, to me. If you do not believe in the creation story, why in the world would you care about a day that was created to commemorate it? To put words in your mouth, none. I mean none, that makes any sense.