• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are atheists arrogant? immoral? angry?

RestlessSoul

OIP.Q19QpBbyYEFSwJo4FjAJrQHaEK

I don’t assume your disbelief is due to prejudice. The limitations of your knowledge and perceptions don’t constitute prejudice per se.

PureX

Veteran Member
If we ask an atheist why they are atheist, most of them (here) will immediately respond with a list of grievances against religion. So it's not that surprising that some might conclude that atheists are angry, resentful, and prejudiced against religion (as they perceive it). **mod edit** And that bias is nearly always invisible to itself, the whole picture tends to support that contention.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If we ask an atheist why they are atheist, most of them (here) will immediately respond with a list of grievances against religion. So it's not that surprising that some might conclude that atheists are angry, resentful, and prejudiced against religion (as they perceive it). **mod edit** And that bias is nearly always invisible to itself, the whole picture tends to support that contention.

Another dig at what you fail to comprehend. Am i surprised? Absolutely not.

Most Atheists are atheist because they see mo evidence of god. A few, as in my case, have good reason to have a grievance against religion (Christianity) though that was only the beginning of my path to atheism.

As for being dishonest about their feelings, i believe you are talking total crap. Just because an atheist holds views that you cannot comprehend does not make them dishonest

Altfish

Veteran Member
Will they really? I certainly don't, I talk about lack of evidence for gods.

I am happy to accept any religion, until that religion starts to try to influence how I and my family can live. Then, I do get angry.
So, you can worship who you want, but the moment your religion stops my family having female healthcare, telling me which books my children can read in school, prevents me ending my life when I'm in pain and see no future ... you get the idea..

PureX

Veteran Member
Most atheists dismiss any evidence or reasoning that contradicts their biased beliefs and then try to claim they don't believe anything and that they aren't biased

There really isn't any way to take that as anything but a willful and deceitful bias. And if we call them on it they just get angry about it. So ... if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck ...

Altfish

Veteran Member
Most atheists dismiss any evidence or reasoning that contradicts their biased beliefs and then try to claim they don't believe anything and that they aren't biased

There really isn't any way to take that as anything but a willful and deceitful bias. And if we call them on it they just get angry about it. So ... if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck ...
Can you give me some examples of this evidence that atheists dismiss?

Belacqua

I just viewed and greatly enjoyed a three part video series by Matt Baker, who did his doctoral thesis on the psychology of atheism. Although all three videos are excellent, it is the third one that I wanted to share and discuss.

Christians often make certain generalizations about atheists:
1. That they are arrogant and dogmatic
2. That they prefer to be non-religious because they are selfish and religion is an inconvenience
3. That they are angry with God
4. That they either lost their father at a young age, or had a strained relationship with their father, making it more difficult to form a good relationship with the Divine Father.

Matt Bakar deals with each of these scientifically. He comes to the following conclusions:
1. None of the 4 assertions above accurately generalize about atheists
2. What DOES seem to have a high correlation with atheism is a score of TP on the Myers Briggs (video 2 deals with this in depth). This matches up nicely with other studies that correlate atheism wish low agreeability and low conscientiousness using the Big 5 personality elements. What it basically means is that atheists are twice as likely to greatly care about truth even if it costs them and be open to change.

I think we could make a distinction between atheists in general, and those who post on the Internet about religion every day of their lives.

It wouldn't be surprising if Christians get a negative impression from the online type. No doubt we've all seen anger and arrogance.

I used to have no trouble telling people that I'm an atheist, but I've been reluctant to be associated with certain self-appointed spokesmen.

Present company excepted, I'm sure!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Please provide your claimed (falsifiable) evidence

Your hatred is showing

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
God convinced me to be an atheist. If God hadn't done so I'd probably still harbor some incorrect belief about God.

Doubt I would have been smart enough on my own.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Being angry at God is the funniest one.
Why pick a particular god to be angry at?
There are so many others. If I were to be
angry at their god (the one named God),
I'd be angry at them all. But since they
don't exist, I've no feelings for them at all.
I'd never heard of #4.
The only God that I ever get angry at is Chthulu Chuthulu Cthuhlu Chthulhu god dang it! Google!!! Cthulhu. And you can see why.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not so. Firstly we will likely explain as to not accepting the so-called evidence (but with with very little provenance as to origins or as to truthfulness) that so many of the religious seem to accept themselves (pick your own beliefs here) - as to some particular religious text being 'the exact/sole truth' perhaps - and that we tend to believe the products of our own intelligence (but mainly as to the best of such) - especially when this is supported by an enormous amount of evidence, and which has been the most productive avenue over the last few centuries and likely as not continuing into the future - if we live that long. :checkeredflag:

PureX

Veteran Member
Can you give me some examples of this evidence that atheists dismiss?
Well, their constantly claiming that there is no evidence would be a pretty strong example. And when you offer them any, they will immediately declare it not to be valid, as if their personal validation is required for evidence to be evidence.