• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

Tristesse

Atheism and agnisticism address two different issues. Atheism addresses belief while agnosticism addresses knowledge. It's possible to be both an atheist and an agnostic because they aren't mutually exclusive. But don't conflate the two as if they are the same type of thing. So, to answer your question, no. There is nothing close minded about not believing a claim for which evidence is not sufficient to accept the claim.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Depends which definition of atheist and agnostic one uses. I consider myself both, and I think I'm probably one of the most fairly and thoroughly analytical people I've ever known.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Some are open minded agnostics, such as those who haven't cemented themselves into one particular idea about atheism.

Photonic

Ad astra!
To me, an agnostic by definition has an open mind.

Not believing in a claim doesn't make one close minded.

I would be more than happy to believe in a God as soon as there is sufficient evidence of his existence.

Since none exists, I take the default position of not accepting a claim that can't be substantiated.

Daemon Sophic

One could say that the atheist has simply gone to the next logical step, or that they have simply stopped trying to look. Even as an agnostic, I would not call atheists "close minded" or any similar slur.

The atheist opens the box. Looks in and sees that it is empty. Then reaches in and feels around. Still nothing. Runs the box through a metal detector, a CT scanner, and chemically analyzes the cardboard of the box itself. Upon still finding nothing, the atheist has cast the box aside as being truly empty.

After all of the atheist's testing, the agnostic keeps the box on an out-of-the-way shelf....just in case some further testing technique might some day be invented.

The religious person never opened the box, but is overjoyed at having recieved such a spectacularly marvelous gift for Christmas/Channaka/Ramadan/etc....

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
You said, that to you an agnostic by definition has an open mind, perhaps suggesting that an atheist doesn't. My question is why do you think that?

I'm trying to follow your logic here, just because I said I believe an Agnostic has an open mind, what would that have to do with what I thought about Atheism?

Tristesse

I'm trying to follow your logic here, just because I said I believe an Agnostic has an open mind, what would that have to do with what I thought about Atheism?

Because your name of this thread asks if atheists are close minded agnostics. And what would be your motivation for posting that question if you didn't feel that it had some merit? Anyways, it doesn't matter, because I'm an atheist and guess what, I'm also an agnostic. There's nothing close minded about being an atheist. Saying "I don't believe you" when evidence hasn't been presented, is in no way close-minded.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Because your name of this thread asks if atheists are close minded agnostics. And what would be your motivation for posting that question if you didn't feel that it had some merit? Anyways, it doesn't matter, because I'm an atheist and guess what, I'm also an agnostic. There's nothing close minded about being an atheist. Saying "I don't believe you" when evidence hasn't been presented, is in no way close-minded.

According to Wikipedia you cannot be both Agnostic and an Athesist.

Agnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tristesse

According to Wikipedia you cannot be both Agnostic and an Athesist.

Agnosticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you actually read the link you posted? It's in the fist paragraph, and it says, within agnosticism there are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. I am an agnostic atheist, I do not believe that a god exists, but I also don't claim to know whether or not a god exists. Again atheism and agnosticism address two different issues and they are not mutually exclusive, you can be both.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Did you actually read the link you posted? It's in the fist paragraph, and it says, within agnosticism there are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. I am an agnostic atheist, I do not believe that a god exists, but I also don't claim to know whether or not a god exists. Again atheism and agnosticism address two different issues and they are not mutually exclusive, you can be both.

How does an agnostic atheist differ from an atheist?