• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

riley2112

Still searching for the study. As for depression, for one, myself. When I was agnostic I suffered from depression for a while. I''ve heard people say the thought that they will stop existing is extremely scary. Losing your faith can be a terrible experience.
Yes losing ones faith can be scary. My faith at this time is in question. The more I read the Bible the more I doubt it. I don't know if that means I am doubting God or the Bible that I am expected to believe is the word of God. Do I have to believe in one to believe in the other. These are things I think about.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes losing ones faith can be scary. My faith at this time is in question. The more I read the Bible the more I doubt it. I don't know if that means I am doubting God or the Bible that I am expected to believe is the word of God. Do I have to believe in one to believe in the other. These are things I think about.

Do you have any issues with what Jesus taught?

I know they use the OT to justify Jesus, but I think the words of Jesus justifies him. Putting everything else in the Bible aside. Do you think Jesus worthy of veneration? Do you have problems with morality that Jesus seems to teach?

riley2112

Do you have any issues with what Jesus taught?

I know they use the OT to justify Jesus, but I think the words of Jesus justifies him. Putting everything else in the Bible aside. Do you think Jesus worthy of veneration? Do you have problems with morality that Jesus seems to teach?
No I don't have any problems with most of his teachings. But then , does that mean I am cherry picking what I want to believe in. If I am guilty of that, then how do I know I am praising God , or just a self made god?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
naw man, holy books are garbage. and any god who only gave us a crappy book to warn us does not deserve worship anyways.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I almost wish I could feel that way , but I can't.
why not? whats holding you back? do you think to lose one means to lose the other? it doesn't have to. you can have faith with out the holy books. I bet you would be a better person for it. If you truly believe and truly want to know God then spend time with people and spend time in nature. Spend time meditating. make your own prays to him/her. prays of thansk and veneration. prays to clear your mind and hear. do good works and remember to learn. laugh, and love.

riley2112

why not? whats holding you back? do you think to lose one means to lose the other? it doesn't have to. you can have faith with out the holy books. I bet you would be a better person for it. If you truly believe and truly want to know God then spend time with people and spend time in nature. Spend time meditating. make your own prays to him/her. prays of thansk and veneration. prays to clear your mind and hear. do good works and remember to learn. laugh, and love.
That may be just what I need. Thanks for the idea.

Iti oj

Premium Member
That may be just what I need. Thanks for the idea.
=D my pleasure. I hope you find what you are looking for and i hope you find your self.

You may also want to consider an in general religious education learn about and from all faiths.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No I don't have any problems with most of his teachings. But then , does that mean I am cherry picking what I want to believe in. If I am guilty of that, then how do I know I am praising God , or just a self made god?

I suppose religious tradition says you have to accept the whole kit and caboodle.

Religious doctrine was made by other men such as yourself. Perhaps no more worthy then yourself. They maybe as guilty of cherry-picking. There are a number of gospels that didn't get into the Bible.

I don't know that any had any divine authority to decide what to include in the Bible. That's another traditional belief. Jesus said put God first and love your neighbor as yourself. Everything was based on this. If you could perfect those two things I don't know if you'd need anything else.

Putting God first... many Christians seem to feel they have a personal relationship with God. Do you think God has the means to let you know what he wants of you?

riley2112

I suppose religious tradition says you have to accept the whole kit and caboodle.

Religious doctrine was made by other men such as yourself. Perhaps no more worthy then yourself. They maybe as guilty of cherry-picking. There are a number of gospels that didn't get into the Bible.

I don't know that any had any divine authority to decide what to include in the Bible. That's another traditional belief. Jesus said put God first and love your neighbor as yourself. Everything was based on this. If you could perfect those two things I don't know if you'd need anything else.

Putting God first... many Christians seem to feel they have a personal relationship with God. Do you think God has the means to let you know what he wants of you?
yea, I do. I talk to him a lot , or maybe to myself, with the hopes he hears me. Sometimes I feel He is making things happen but it is hard to truly tell. I mean it may have happened anyway. When I go to church , at times I have this feeling that makes me happy and sad all at the same times. My wife tells me it is the holy Spirit. She is Pentecostal. But I really don't know for sure at this point in my life.

Tristesse

Doubt is a good thing, it means you're applying skepticism. And you definitely don't have to believe the bible to believe in a god, I mean look at other religions that believe in a god but don't use the bible or people who believe in a god but don't have an old book that tells them what to believe about that god.

Tristesse

In my opinion all gods are self made, thats why we have 1,000's of denominations within christianity alone. Everyone has their own interpretation of their holy book and each one thinks that their interpretation is right.

riley2112

In my opinion all gods are self made, thats why we have 1,000's of denominations within christianity alone. Everyone has their own interpretation of their holy book and each one thinks that their interpretation is right.
That would be cool if I thought mine was the right one. The problem I am having is wondering how to tell which is the right one. I read something on the cite that made me stop and think. I will try and find it . Here it is. I did not write this , I just thought it was an interesting thought.
" What if all religions were inacurrate to varying degrees and it was deliberate to create individuality! "

Last edited:

Iti oj

Premium Member
That would be cool if I thought mine was the right one. The problem I am having is wondering how to tell which is the right one. I read something on the cite that made me stop and think. I will try and find it .
good thinking is good. i think you might benefit from a UU church a generic lets worship God together what ever god is..

riley2112

good thinking is good. i think you might benefit from a UU church a generic lets worship God together what ever god is..
not real sure how Angela would feel about that.:eek: She is such a lovely girl but she sure is strong in her belief.:rolleyes:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
yea, I do. I talk to him a lot , or maybe to myself, with the hopes he hears me. Sometimes I feel He is making things happen but it is hard to truly tell. I mean it may have happened anyway. When I go to church , at times I have this feeling that makes me happy and sad all at the same times. My wife tells me it is the holy Spirit. She is Pentecostal. But I really don't know for sure at this point in my life.

I'll give you some advice only because it worked for me. If your willing, put your life in God's hands. For better or worse, richer or poorer. Give God the burden of your certainty. It's ok not to know. You have to let go of all your expectations and go forth as an empty vessel waiting to be filled.

It seems that God wants us to trust in him and not anything else. No religion, no books, no priests. If the Holy Spirit comes to you, you will know. You won't have to guess. However you won't be able to claim ignorance afterwards.

Sometimes I think it would have been better to have remained ignorant. At least I had an excuse for my actions. I was a horrible person. It's not easy to face the truth of that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be preachy or mystical. It just comes from personal experience.

Iti oj

Premium Member
not real sure how Angela would feel about that.:eek: She is such a lovely girl but she sure is strong in her belief.:rolleyes:
well you could work something out with her. like idk one week your church one week hers or maybe you could attend mass at both churches every Sunday

riley2112

I'll give you some advice only because it worked for me. If your willing, put your life in God's hands. For better or worse, richer or poorer. Give God the burden of your certainty. It's ok not to know. You have to let go of all your expectations and go forth as an empty vessel waiting to be filled.

It seems that God wants us to trust in him and not anything else. No religion, no books, no priests. If the Holy Spirit comes to you, you will know. You won't have to guess. However you won't be able to claim ignorance afterwards.

Sometimes I think it would have been better to have remained ignorant. At least I had an excuse for my actions. I was a horrible person. It's not easy to face the truth of that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be preachy or mystical. It just comes from personal experience.
yea, I really was not what you would call a good guy, :sarcastic but after getting my legs back to working and meeting Angela, things just seem to be turning around. I told God back when the world fell down around me if he would give me a hand I would try and find him. That is what I am doing , I be a trying.

riley2112

well you could work something out with her. like idk one week your church one week hers or maybe you could attend mass at both churches every Sunday
That may work, But her Church is pretty cool , the people are great the pastor is funny. They accept me the way I am and they don't seem to be pushing to hard.

Iti oj

Premium Member
yea, I really was not what you would call a good guy, :sarcastic but after getting my legs back to working and meeting Angela, things just seem to be turning around. I told God back when the world fell down around me if he would give me a hand I would try and find him. That is what I am doing , I be a trying.
i here a sincere and honest person who is good at heart. regardless of where you have been and what you have done you are who you are now not then. You grew. grew into a good person.