• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

riley2112

i here a sincere and honest person who is good at heart. regardless of where you have been and what you have done you are who you are now not then. You grew. grew into a good person.
I had to , if not I think Angela would beat me.:eek:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
That may work, But her Church is pretty cool , the people are great the pastor is funny. They accept me the way I am and they don't seem to be pushing to hard.
well that's good but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do you and find what works and makes sense for you. you need to be honest with yourself if your going to have an honest relationship with God.

riley2112

well that's good but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do you and find what works and makes sense for you. you need to be honest with yourself if your going to have an honest relationship with God.
you got a strong point there. I will run it around my mind a time or two.

Tristesse

That would be cool if I thought mine was the right one. The problem I am having is wondering how to tell which is the right one. I read something on the cite that made me stop and think. I will try and find it . Here it is. I did not write this , I just thought it was an interesting thought.
" What if all religions were inacurrate to varying degrees and it was deliberate to create individuality! "

Well, I personally think none of them are right. But here's the thing, most of these god claims are mutually exclusive, which means they can't all be right, but guess what? They can all be wrong and until one of them demonstrates the truth of what they say, none of them should be believed.

riley2112

Well, I personally think none of them are right. But here's the thing, most of these god claims are mutually exclusive, which means they can't all be right, but guess what? They can all be wrong and until one of them demonstrates the truth of what they say, none of them should be believed.
Isn't that where that faith thing comes into play?

Tristesse

Isn't that where that faith thing comes into play?

And why do you think faith is a good thing? Do you usually go around believing things that don't have some evidence to support it or evidence to the contrary? I think faith can be a dangerous thing, believing things for no good reason can cause a lot of harm and has caused a lot of harm. Believe things for good reasons and if you do, then there is no need for faith.

riley2112

and from an atheist too who woulda thunk it,.
The only difference between me and an atheist is I am just easier to convence. The Atheist just wants stronger evidence, and I really don't blame them. You can't make yourself believe in something you don't believe. You know there is no purple flying pig wearing top hats. No matter how hard you try you can't just say I am going to believe it . But on the other hand you can't make yourself not believe something you believe in. That is just how it is.

riley2112

And why do you think faith is a good thing? Do you usually go around believing things that don't have some evidence to support it or evidence to the contrary? I think faith can be a dangerous thing, believing things for no good reason can cause a lot of harm and has caused a lot of harm. Believe things for good reasons and if you do, then there is no need for faith.
I do believe what I belief for a good reason, Granted it may not be a good enough for you , but it don't have to be. It only has to be good enough for me.

Tristesse

I do believe what I belief for a good reason, Granted it may not be a good enough for you , but it don't have to be. It only has to be good enough for me.

Well, if you have a good reason, then why call it faith? Now, you may have a different definition of faith then I have, but why use faith, why not say I have a good resason. Because if you have a good reason you wouldn't need faith, it would just be your reason. But if your reason couldn't hold up to scientific standards of evidence, then we might seriously question your reasons.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
The only difference between me and an atheist is I am just easier to convence. The Atheist just wants stronger evidence, and I really don't blame them. You can't make yourself believe in something you don't believe. You know there is no purple flying pig wearing top hats. No matter how hard you try you can't just say I am going to believe it . But on the other hand you can't make yourself not believe something you believe in. That is just how it is.
agreed, but i think its deeper then that. its a separation from theism and religion/dogma. Religion and dogma are dangerous. a simple and pure faith can be a good thing for some people. beilfe in god doesn't cause wars and hate but holy books and churches do. further more while i see no reason to believe in A god, their is certainly reason not to believe in that god.

riley2112

Well, if you have a good reason, then why call it faith? Now, you may have a different definition of faith then I have, but why use faith, why not say I have a good resason. Because if you have a good reason you wouldn't need faith, it would just be your reason. But if your reason couldn't hold up to scientific standards of evidence, then we might seriously question your reasons.
Scientific standards of evidence is great for science. Some things are above science. And before you get started I have heard all and I mean all of the argument and evidence you can hit me with , and I would bet you have heard all of the return arguments. So save yourself some time. I wish I could just throw My beliefs, my feeling away and walk off , but I can not do that at this time and I may never be able to. You may say it is foolish and easy to believe in a God just on faith, (How do you define Faith?) But it is not , and you can throw up the Christians that has their head up their *** and say that all Christian are like that , but you know they are not , so now , if you got something new throw it at me , if not . That is cool to.

riley2112

agreed, but i think its deeper then that. its a separation from theism and religion/dogma. Religion and dogma are dangerous. a simple and pure faith can be a good thing for some people. beilfe in god doesn't cause wars and hate but holy books and churches do. further more while i see no reason to believe in A god, their is certainly reason not to believe in that god.
The bible God seems just a little , oh , let me see, angry , I still think that the bible has been manipulated by man to gain power and control . Hell I think in some ways it is still being used for that.

Tristesse

Scientific standards of evidence is great for science. Some things are above science. And before you get started I have heard all and I mean all of the argument and evidence you can hit me with , and I would bet you have heard all of the return arguments. So save yourself some time. I wish I could just throw My beliefs, my feeling away and walk off , but I can not do that at this time and I may never be able to. You may say it is foolish and easy to believe in a God just on faith, (How do you define Faith?) But it is not , and you can throw up the Christians that has their head up their *** and say that all Christian are like that , but you know they are not , so now , if you got something new throw it at me , if not . That is cool to.

Thats fine if you've heard all of the arguments against a deity, but arguements against a deity need not be presented since it is the burden of those positing the existence to explain or provide evidence for a deity. Thats kind of irrelevant right now though. Mainly because you're using faulty logic to prop up the position of a god by saying some things are above science. And if you don't want to get in a discussion about this, I understand. And yes, I've probably heard every argument for a gods existence, all of which are based on some fallacy.

riley2112

Thats fine if you've heard all of the arguments against a deity, but arguements against a deity need not be presented since it is the burden of those positing the existence to explain or provide evidence for a deity. Thats kind of irrelevant right now though. Mainly because you're using faulty logic to prop up the position of a god by saying some things are above science. And if you don't want to get in a discussion about this, I understand. And yes, I've probably heard every argument for a gods existence, all of which are based on some fallacy.
If would be my place to show evidence being I am the one that believe God exist, but only if I was trying to convince you , which I am not . And I don't what to get into it right now. But we can talk later on in the week if you would like. But I believe I am going to spend sometime with the kids, nice to have talked to you .

Tristesse

If would be my place to show evidence being I am the one that believe God exist, but only if I was trying to convince you , which I am not . And I don't what to get into it right now. But we can talk later on in the week if you would like. But I believe I am going to spend sometime with the kids, nice to have talked to you .

I wasn't speaking about you specifically, I was saying in general, that if someone believes in a god it is their duty to provide evidence of that claim, and not the other way around.

Trimijopulos

Hard-core atheist
Premium Member
I think faith can be a dangerous thing, believing things for no good reason can cause a lot of harm and has caused a lot of harm. Believe things for good reasons and if you do, then there is no need for faith.
I couldn’t agree more if you have included faith in scientific fairy tales too.

There is a question which you can only answer basing your judgment on faith alone.
The question is: “What do you think of the gods of our ancestors (meaning the ancestors of humanity in general) who were described as common human beings lacking all the divine attributes of the modern gods?”

How many things about them you believe...for good reasons?

Tristesse

I couldn’t agree more if you have included faith in scientific fairy tales too.

There is a question which you can only answer basing your judgment on faith alone.
The question is: “What do you think of the gods of our ancestors (meaning the ancestors of humanity in general) who were described as common human beings lacking all the divine attributes of the modern gods?”

How many things about them you believe...for good reasons?

Maybe you could elaborate, I'm not sure I understand your question.