• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Men Necessary In Raising Children?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Of course! It takes both man and woman to create a baby, therefore it is both of their responsibility. In Hinduism, both mother and father are to be respected like God. I wouldn't be the person I am today if it wasn't for my father AND my mother. My father would sometimes get up in the middle of the night when we are sleeping and check out the place to make sure everything is okay. I remember when I was little I was sick and I had to throw up really badly. We were in the bedroom so I didn't have time to go by the sink. He cupped his hands together and said, "do it here." I know that might seem gross, but think about it, it was out of love. Uncle Sunstone asked if there's something a man can do that a woman can't in terms of raising children. Yes - they can teach their children about the world through a man's eyes. For eg. a father is very protective of his daughter because he knows how some men think. A father is also a protector just like the mother. A father is there to help the mother. New mothers are very tired and someone has to help with the little munchkins. I read about an African tribe where the men allow their babies to suckle their nipples until the mother arrives to breastfeed. When I read that, I thought "so that's why men have nipples." All daddies out there, you are really special - just like all the mommies. Many people call God Father, although Hinduism sees God as Mother and Father. So, if out Creator is like a Father, why can't our biological fathers be equally important as our biological mothers.

akshar

Men are necessary but women are more important in my opinion, ewe have our mohers blood in our veins, her food, we are more mum then dad. But fathers are still very important.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Are men necessary in raising children? Do they have an essential role to play that cannot be done by women? If so, what is that?

I personally think so, but I will not force this view on anyone else, because I've seen great single mothers. :)

In my life, they are necesary, and the role they play is a father, a provider, a confidante, a best friend. Yes, a mother can be these things as well, but (I'm not sure how to say this), for me having a Father for my children is really important. It just completes MY family.

akshar

cardero said:
I ask you-Who is going to teach them to dance with Elmo!?!?!

LimboElmo.jpg

LimboElmo2.jpg

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!!?!?!

YOU MY GOOD FRIEND CRACK ME UP!!!!!:BIGLAUGH:

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Ciscokid said:
There are good men people. Not all fathers are wastes of space.

i do agree with you but my 'sperm donor' is a waste of space so i'm glad that i didn't pursue my interest in him further as i don't think i'd be the same person i am now as he was/is hardly a great role model, if he had his way i would have been aborted. It is annoying that i have some of his traits though and that my mum recognises that i do such as taste in music and my communistic views but hey niether of those are bad things in my opinion!In a way i do resent him for not having the fortitude to face up to his responsibility with me but i don't hate him for it and i do understand that as a young man he wasn't ready for the resposibility and from first hand experience i know how hard it can be to be a parent after being with my x and being a 'daddy' to her child, i buckled under the pressure so i do understand, it just took me a while!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I say no, simple because my dad was never thier for that much. I learned, up to a small degree, how to fish and play baseball from him, and that was pretty much it. Hell, I pretty much raised myself. Even tought myself how to shave, which is probably how I can handle dry shaving, since I didn't know why you are supposed to use shaving cream, so I never used it. Taught myself hunting skills, firearm skills, bow skills, guitar skills, and many other things that would normally be father-son, by myself. The finer hunting skills, such as masking odors, I learned from my unlce.

nutshell

Sunstone said:
Are men necessary in raising children? Do they have an essential role to play that cannot be done by women? If so, what is that?

Yes. And anyone who believes otherwise should read "Strong Fathers / Strong Daughters."

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Hema said:
Of course! It takes both man and woman to create a baby, therefore it is both of their responsibility
What about people who adopt or couples that use artificial insemniation?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
nutshell said:
Yes. And anyone who believes otherwise should read "Strong Fathers / Strong Daughters."

What role do men play in raising children that women can't fill?
For that matter what role do women play in raising children that men can't provide? Other than breastfeeding of course..

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
What about people who adopt or couples that use artificial insemniation?
I don't want to put words in Hema's mouth but I'm guessing she means in the traditional sense regarding it takes both the man and woman to make a baby.

I think an important aspect of gay parenthood is for gay parents to allow their children to have a major influence in their lives from the opposite sex. There are gay men who adopt children and we wouldn't counsel them to never surround their children with women who can benefit their lives. The same is true with men being included in the lives of children of gay women. Children gain important knowledge from both sexes. Neither sex is better regarding the raising of children.

I know you weren't implying the opposite of this, Jensa. I just thought I'd point that thought out. :)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well, then let's get right to the point:

What exactly are children who have two parents of the same sex missing that is fundamental to raising a healthy child?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
Well, then let's get right to the point:

What exactly are children who have two parents of the same sex missing that is fundamental to raising a healthy child?
I'm not saying it's completely necessary to have both in raising a healthy child. I simply think having a multitude of good influences from both sexes enriches the childs life. Most parents want the best for their children. The other sex can supply some of that richness. I don't really want to get into the great attributes of each sex but we can. :)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Buttercup said:
I'm not saying it's completely necessary to have both in raising a healthy child. I simply think having a multitude of good influences from both sexes enriches the childs life. Most parents want the best for their children. The other sex can supply some of that richness. I don't really want to get into the great attributes of each sex but we can. :)

I know you're not, and I was asking more in a general sense. We've sort of been beating around the bush and you were the first person to actually talk specifically about gay parenting, so I figured I'd move the discussion along and get a more specific question out there. =)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Buttercup said:
How does simply having XX or XY chromosomes make for a healthy environment or good role model? What exactly is it that having a Y gene allows fathers to give their children? The benefit of being around someone with a Y gene?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
How does simply having XX or XY chromosomes make for a healthy environment or good role model? What exactly is it that having a Y gene allows fathers to give their children? The benefit of being around someone with a Y gene?
That's why I said I'm not sure if we want to get into the specifics of what each gender has to offer children. You can't possibly think men are not important can you? Talk about discrimination! ;) Gay men who are fathers wouldn't like to read that.

Of course it goes without saying that children need love, support, guidance and discipline. And either sex can supply that.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Its easy for women to say that males are not needed to raise a child because they don't know what its like to be a little boy without a father.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
Its easy for women to say that males are not needed to raise a child because they don't know what its like to be a little boy without a father.
Exactly...or a little girl without a father. I could talk at length about the emotional issues I had with the lack of a father around.

CDRaider

spacemonkey said:

well that can also be taken from the female perspective of a daughter without a mother but i still stand by my stance that it matter only what kind of father and mother they do have