• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are "New Atheists" Too Obsessed With Religion?

Are you sympathetic to "New Atheism" ?

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Personally, I'd like to see some of the energy that is put into New Atheism put instead into a new kind of humanism. Humanism with an ecological bent that has both secular and religious branches. I think that would be more likely to improve our societies than atheism alone.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
All I can say is that not all scientists are atheists and not all atheists are scientists. Science is for all of us, I am a strong theist yet I love science, especially astronomy and Chemistry and Anthropology (is anyone surprised about that last one...? ;) ;) )

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, I'm not surprised. Then again, I have learned of you bits and pieces from some seven years now.

dust1n

Zindīq
In my experience, there are very few atheists who care about the subject enough to actually engage in that sort of conversation. However, religious people are incredibly obsessed about atheism. How many times have atheists come up with a catching little cultural phenomenon in religion. I'm not aware of atheists going around being like, "those are New Muslims, much louder than the Old Muslims." In fact, atheists didn't come up with the hundreds of thousands of possible denominations within the Christian religion; Christians did.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Sure it is. But atheophobia is supposedly fear, and so was what you described.

What I described wasn't fear, it was hatred. It was anger. I don't think they're afraid that atheists are going to come and slaughter them in their beds. They are think that anyone who doesn't believe what they believe might convince people that they're wrong and they hate non-believers because of it.

gsa

Just a guess, but I think the poll results may suffer from some precipitation from voters. The thread title and the poll question are nearly complete opposites, and answering "No" to one will generally result in voting "Yes" for the other.

Some degree of confusion is likely to arise.

Certainly possible but I'm not terribly worried about the results. This polling is far from scientific! :)

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
To be honest, I find this just stunning. 'New Atheist' was a term invented for a magazine article, and yet the paranoia of apologists has manifested some terrifyingly sinister order or arch atheists bent on global domination out of nothing more than fear, hot air and a persecution complex.

There is no 'New Atheism', is does not exist as a philosophy, an approach, an ideology or an organisation. It was the title of a magazine article.

Do people think the 'New Avengers' actually exist as well, just because they were a TV show?

Or those nasty 'Militant' atheists - the ones who are not remotely militant, like that polite and educated old gent Dawkins. 'Militant' LOL.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
2. Too much science. Or rather, scientism: The universal application of the scientific method to truth claims, thereby excluding human endeavors that give the world and life meaning.

On the face of it, his criticism of scientism strikes me as rather clumsy and confused. But perhaps that's because I'm rather unsympathetic to metaphysical speculations. Nevertheless, I recognize there are some pretty sharp limits to what science can accomplish.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To be fair regarding my statement. Not all religious people are like that. Most people in this world tend to get along one another on a basic level without antagonizing one another.

Very true. But usually -- albeit not always -- when I hear what strikes me as an obsession with atheists and atheism coming from the Christian camp, it's Evangelicals who are doing the obsessing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Evangelicals, in my experience, are pretty preoccupied with anyone who does not follow the religion; either not follow it at all, or follow it the way they do. ;)

Good point. It would be hard to say whether they're more obsessed with atheists, or with Methodists.

dust1n

Zindīq
Very true. But usually -- albeit not always -- when I hear what strikes me as an obsession with atheists and atheism coming from the Christian camp, it's Evangelicals who are doing the obsessing.

Goes to show the loudest and most irrational things tend to stick out.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
To be honest, I find this just stunning. 'New Atheist' was a term invented for a magazine article, and yet the paranoia of apologists has manifested some terrifyingly sinister order or arch atheists bent on global domination out of nothing more than fear, hot air and a persecution complex.

There is no 'New Atheism', is does not exist as a philosophy, an approach, an ideology or an organisation. It was the title of a magazine article.

Do people think the 'New Avengers' actually exist as well, just because they were a TV show?

Or those nasty 'Militant' atheists - the ones who are not remotely militant, like that polite and educated old gent Dawkins. 'Militant' LOL.

Most of these people consider "new atheists" those who not only don't believe, but don't have the good sense to keep their mouths shut and pretend that they do. With the advent of the Internet, lots of atheists have seen fit to openly arguing against religion. That's what the religious object to more than anything. Christianity is used to having a place at the head of the table where they had enough political and social power that they could stomp on anyone who didn't toe their religious line. They've lost that now. That's what they're really complaining about.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Good point. It would be hard to say whether they're more obsessed with atheists, or with Methodists.
Methodists? Here in Brazil that goes mostly unnoticed. They do have a thing for Catholics, though, and arguably for Spiritists as well.