• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are "New Atheists" Too Obsessed With Religion?

Are you sympathetic to "New Atheism" ?

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

outhouse

Atheistically
As a matter of fact, I think the Four Horsemen are if anything not very inovative.

To me it is severe ignorance to even claim secular thinking has four horsemen, it is ludicrous.

We have no government, no control, no group, no religion, and no leadership.

Because some people speak up against the dangers of fanaticism and fundamentalism that is crippling education on a global scale, does not make them our leaders.

And I agree with you Luis.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It reminds me of the people who say that "everything indicates that Darwin was a rabid anti-theist".

It is something that some people dearly want to believe, regardless of the lack of any evidence to speak of.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I wonder if this reflects the frustration that theists have with the way science keeps making discoveries and shrinking the gaps for God? ;)

god's days are certainly numbers. The Human Race will reach a point where it can terraform new worlds, regrow limbs (this is already in its infancy) and travel through the stars. Eventually, there will be nothing magnificent about god, and the concept of it will be meaningless.

gsa

He seems to be another blogger with little intellect. His claims unsubstantiated.

More of a anti atheist rant, then anything else.

Your source has no credibility at all.

Well, his claims are unsubstantiated in the strictest sense of that term, since he doesn't really provide much in the way of concrete examples. I don't think the problem is so much that he has nothing good to say, but that he overstates his case and does so from a skewed vantage point.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Are you saying that atheists are intellectually superior? ;)

And why should anyone respect a belief they think is nonsensical?
The so-called New Atheists have an attitude of intellectual superiority.

It's not just the belief that is disrespected, but that people should be allowed to hold such a belief.

gsa

The so-called New Atheists have an attitude of intellectual superiority.

It's not just the belief that is disrespected, but that people should be allowed to hold such a belief.

Well I do think the belief that Yahweh doesn't exist is superior, intellectually, to the belief that he does exist. Does that give me an "intellectual superiority" problem? Or is it just a problem that Christians and Muslims (and some others) believe he exists?

The belief isn't really worthy of respect. The persons holding it are entitled to basic respect and dignity, but that doesn't include being free from having your beliefs questioned. And I haven't heard anyone call for belief in those gods to be criminalized. But nonbelief and belief are not equally tenable positions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well I do think the belief that Yahweh doesn't exist is superior, intellectually, to the belief that he does exist. Does that give me an "intellectual superiority" problem? Or is it just a problem that Christians and Muslims (and some others) believe he exists?

The belief isn't really worthy of respect. The persons holding it are entitled to basic respect and dignity, but that doesn't include being free from having your beliefs questioned. And I haven't heard anyone call for belief in those gods to be criminalized. But nonbelief and belief are not equally tenable positions.

Particularly when belief is largely at odds with itself, given how many mutually exclusive varieties of it exist.

It is just odd to blame atheists for taking the much necessary freedom of belief all the way.

Reactions: gsa

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Saying somebody has an attitude is very vague.
In what way? I did specify which attitude.

Could you give some specific examples?
For instance, Dawkins was the proponent of the idea that, "Highly intelligent people are mostly atheists."

Again, examples would be helpful. Who says people shouldn't be allowed to believe in God?
It is part of the attitude that Gary Wolf talks about in regard to Dawkins.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well I do think the belief that Yahweh doesn't exist is superior, intellectually, to the belief that he does exist. Does that give me an "intellectual superiority" problem?
Obviously it's not a problem for you.

To separate a person from their beliefs or ideas is not a dualism that everyone can buy into.

gsa

Obviously it's not a problem for you.

To separate a person from their beliefs or ideas is not a dualism that everyone can buy into.

It isn't a problem because it isn't true. Francis Collins is much smarter than I am, but his belief in evangelical Christianity is inferior to my nonbelief, insofar as truth is some measure of superiority.

We have to separate people from their beliefs. Otherwise we can't have a tolerant and intellectually diverse society.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
For instance, Dawkins was the proponent of the idea that, "Highly intelligent people are mostly atheists."

That's because it happens to be true and has been validated in study after study conducted over the past century. Religiosity tends to be inversely proportional to education and intelligence. That Dawkins states that fact as true proves nothing.

Reactions: gsa

gsa

And what do you have left when you separate all their beliefs from a person?

Just curious.

The person. Also, were not talking about everything a person thinks or values. But let me ask you: Do you respect those who disagree with you? Even if you don't respect their beliefs?Seems easy enough to me.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
The person. Also, were not talking about everything a person thinks or values. But let me ask you: Do you respect those who disagree with you? Even if you don't respect their beliefs?Seems easy enough to me.

It depends, have they earned any respect? Otherwise, why would you?