• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

FFH

Veteran Member
People don't give a rip about this thread (see doppleganger's early post). It's more like morbid fascination because, I'm sorry, you're so ridiculous.
So what, live a little Nutshell...

I'm not interested in being your average "do what everyone else does" person...

Insults fly my way daily and have all my life, just because I won't go along with the crowd, because of certain issues I believe in..

Not interested in pleasing you or anyone else on this forum. Not in it for the frubals, which seems most are only here for..

I respect Doppleganger very much, very bright man, probably the brightest person on this forum..

Not trying to impress him or anyone else...

FFH

Veteran Member
Do you realize that symbol was a symbol of peace and spiritual enlightenment long before the Nazis showed up???
So why didn't the Germans stick it on every Volkswagen ???

Yeah, that would have been a crowd pleaser here in the states..

Only the weak rally around a symbol like that, it's the same with the symbols on poker cards, just more subtle...

Becky said:
Which I told FFH some pages back. In fact, it meant good luck to the Hindus.
Y
eah, I read your post...

Good point/points for sure..
FFH said:
I respect Doppleganger very much, very bright man, probably the brightest person on this forum..

If I was a gambling man I would bet my life he's heavy into card playing/gambling and maybe he just had to knock this thread partly for that reason
Granted my opening links are laughable, just wanted to get the ball rolling and posted whatever link came up first on this subject, when doing a google search....

I may come across some other links in the future and replace those..

nutshell

So what, live a little Nutshell...

I'm not interested in being your average "do what everyone else does" person...

Insults fly my way daily and have all my life, just because I won't go along with the crowd, because of certain issues I believe in..

Not interested in pleasing you or anyone else on this forum. Not in it for the frubals, which seems most are only here for..

Not trying to impress him or anyone else...

Live a little? I think you need to take your own advise. No one said anything about going along with the crowd. You can't please me even if you tried. I think you overstate Doppleganger's brightness.

Bottom line: The things you talk about likely have power over you and you should avoid them because you believe they have power over you.

nutshell

So why didn't the Germans stick it on every Volkswagen ???

Yeah, that would have been a crowd pleaser here in the states..

Only the weak rally around a symbol like that, it's the same with the symbols on poker cards, just more subtle...

That's right. Historically, the weak rallied around an ancient symbol that had NOTHING to do with the Nazis. :rolleyes:

If the poker cards have power over you it's because you let them. Nothing subtle about it. Everyone makes their own decisions.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Symbols only have the meaning you give them. You know everyone has symbols and you don't have to be weak to rally around a symbol that is a foolish notion. W

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just remember, millions rallied around a crooked cross and millions were killed....

Certain colors and symbols together seem to grip the hearts of men..
Do you really think that the Nazi party rose to power because they stumbled on the right logo?

Do you not think it might have more to do with the poor conditions in Germany in the 1920s and 30s, the lopsided terms of the Treaty of Versailles, Hitler's appeal to the masses as a leader, and the Nazis' violent methods of seizing power and getting rid of opposition?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yeah, I know, I was counting on that type of response for sure.

Just remember, millions rallied around a crooked cross and millions were killed....

Certain colors and symbols together seem to grip the hearts of men..

If this were not the case, no one would give a rip about this thread and would ignore me.

This thread should prove how much a bunch of plastic with a few symbols on it can grip one's life to the point in which they would defend them to no end...

Try throwing them out, it's almost impossible for most to do..

If they ignore you, it's probably because you pull silly stunts like this.

Popeyesays

Actually, FFH, there isn't a deck of cards in the house right now-hasn't been for a year or so. The last time I bought cards was when my wife was bed-ridden.

I do play solitaire or hearts on the computer and occasionally Texas Hold'em on Yaho, but it's been six months since i played for virtual matchsticks.

Regards,

Scott

Regards,

Scott

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Do you really think that the Nazi party rose to power because they stumbled on the right logo?
[sarcasm]
WHAT!?
you mean there are people in the world today who do not know this?
My goodness the power of that evil symbol is what gave Hitler the power to do what he did.
I thought everyone knew that.
[/sarcasm]

Do you not think it might have more to do with the poor conditions in Germany in the 1920s and 30s, the lopsided terms of the Treaty of Versailles, Hitler's appeal to the masses as a leader, and the Nazis' violent methods of seizing power and getting rid of opposition?
[sarcasm]
Hell no it didn't.
That was just a mere coincidence.
If not for the power behind the symbol he chose, Hitler would not have been able to do anything.
Thus clearly proving that Satan exists and that inanimate objects are truly to blame, not people.
[/sarcasm]

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I'm still wondering how this topic has managed 370 replies.

I blame Beelzebub and his underpaid minions of migrant demons...

almifkhar

um i would say that playing a game of card is fine and dandy so long as your not gambling. however if your using the cards for divitation, then you would be running into problems with god

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
um i would say that playing a game of card is fine and dandy so long as your not gambling. however if your using the cards for divitation, then you would be running into problems with god
I think if you're using playing cards for divit-ation, your more pressing worry is the golf course greenskeeper, not God. :D

Popeyesays

God, just when I thought someone had driven a stake through this silly thread's heart, decapitated it and buried it at a cross-roads-----here it is again . . . . .

SIGH

Booko

Deviled Hen
Is that what we need to constantly be reminded of, tools of death, in the form of a spade/pike/sword and a cross ???

I think you may need to do a little more research on the origins of suits in cards, FFH.

I find nothing negative about cups or green branches, for example.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Then don't allow players to open a new box. Everyone starts with 50 toothpicks and when they are gone you are done playing - just like money. The only difference is that everyone leaves with the same amount of money in their pockets as they came with - and the toothpicks can be reused next time (just don't chew on them - that's just gross). Or, at least, that should be the only difference if playing the game is about entertainment.

We used to play with corks in chem lab. 24-hour syntheses can be mighty boring to watch. We'd send someone for food and eat it in the hallway outside, in shifts, and we'd play cards or practice musical instruments to stay awake. We couldn't leave the set up unattended, certainly not when something's boiling over an open flame.

I never felt it was boring playing for corks. It's just a method of scorekeeping.

We used to play for M&Ms and Ritz crackers in other setting, but I would always lose because I ate my winnings. :D

FFH

Veteran Member
I think you may need to do a little more research on the origins of suits in cards, FFH.

I find nothing negative about cups or green branches, for example.
I know there are other explanations as to their origins, but the death and war representations of the spade and clubs suit were straight from almighty Wiki.