• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just a V and a W..
So?

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what your criteria for "evil" is. It seems like you've arbitrarily decided that playing cards, and only playing cards are the only evil objects, and then based the criteria around that.

As for the two suits you just mentioned...

You say that clubs represents war. How you came to that conclusion aside, the Bible, especially the Old Testament and Revelation, describe righteous war. Why do you assume that a symbol for war automatically implies evil?

You say that spades represents death. Doesn't the cross represent death as well?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
This thread is funny, and FFH please answer my question, I have asked you twice and you have ignored it. Is paying for entertainment evil?
FFH I was playing poker tonight with two of my friend, not for money we are all to poor for that. But we had fun, we enjoy each others company and it was not evil. It takes skill, enhances our ability to read other people. No harm what so ever came from it. How can something that you enjoy, causes no harm to anyone and has no negative impact on your life be evil?

Popeyesays

I will admit, I put myself through college playing poker bridge, whist and Gin Rummy.

At least it was eighteen months--that was it for income--what I could win at the table.

It is very stressful, I was successful in the long run, but the stress did give me an ulcer.

It was hardly entertainment.

When I was in high school and the first year of college we used to play for un -- penny ante games--and at the end of the evening we paid for pizza with rolled pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters.

That was entertaining and no one suffered--at least they got some pizza and soda out of it.

Regards,
Scott

madhatter85

Transhumanist
This thread is funny, and FFH please answer my question, I have asked you twice and you have ignored it. Is paying for entertainment evil?
FFH I was playing poker tonight with two of my friend, not for money we are all to poor for that. But we had fun, we enjoy each others company and it was not evil. It takes skill, enhances our ability to read other people. No harm what so ever came from it. How can something that you enjoy, causes no harm to anyone and has no negative impact on your life be evil?

Depends on the entertainment..

what kind of spirit does it bring around you?

SoyLeche

meh...
I'll ask you the same question I asked Nutshell in another thread (See posts 25 - 38 of http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/latter-day-saints/55653-do-you-play-cards-2.html for the discussion)

Why play with money at all? Why not play with toothpicks? Wouldn't the entertainment be the same? If not, why?

Popeyesays

I'll ask you the same question I asked Nutshell in another thread (See posts 25 - 38 of http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/latter-day-saints/55653-do-you-play-cards-2.html for the discussion)

Why play with money at all? Why not play with toothpicks? Wouldn't the entertainment be the same? If not, why?

I don't play poker at all anymore. It is against my religion to gamble on cards or dice, and frankly Poker without money on the table is a deadly bore.

Not the same for bridge or gin, hearts, whist, pinochle or canasta. There are well worth playing, money or not.

It would be acceptable in my religion to play in poker tournaments where the money involved is entry fees and the prizes are for placing in the tournament. It's not directly gambling and would be the same as paying an entry fee in a golf tournament, bowling, or paying to play in a fotball league. But I don't feel the urge and don't have the cash to enter.

Regards,
Scott

FFH

Veteran Member
So?

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what your criteria for "evil" is. It seems like you've arbitrarily decided that playing cards, and only playing cards are the only evil objects, and then based the criteria around that.

As for the two suits you just mentioned...

You say that clubs represents war. How you came to that conclusion aside, the Bible, especially the Old Testament and Revelation, describe righteous war. Why do you assume that a symbol for war automatically implies evil?

You say that spades represents death. Doesn't the cross represent death as well?
We don't need these symbols constantly reminding us of death and war.

The LDS church will not put a cross on any of their worship/church buildings for this same reason. A cross reminds us of an evil form a torture invented by man and Christ's horrible death.

Is that what we need to constantly be reminded of, tools of death, in the form of a spade/pike/sword and a cross ???

Satan's subtle ways of keeping us thinking of negative things.

Popeyesays

I know - the question is - why?

Because money has meaning in the setting. you bet according to what you hold and what resources you have. When the resources have no meaning, when going bust means you just open up another box of toothpicks, then there is no point to the game.

Without competition some games are meaningless. the meaning of "game" requires competition.

Regards,
Scott

SoyLeche

meh...
Because money has meaning in the setting. you bet according to what you hold and what resources you have. When the resources have no meaning, when going bust means you just open up another box of toothpicks, then there is no point to the game.

Without competition some games are meaningless. the meaning of "game" requires competition.

Regards,
Scott
Then don't allow players to open a new box. Everyone starts with 50 toothpicks and when they are gone you are done playing - just like money. The only difference is that everyone leaves with the same amount of money in their pockets as they came with - and the toothpicks can be reused next time (just don't chew on them - that's just gross). Or, at least, that should be the only difference if playing the game is about entertainment.

FFH

Veteran Member
Tarot playing cards do share the same suits as regular playing cards. However, modern fortune telling Tarot cards (post 1900) do not.
I know, they borrowed a few symbols and then gave them back, except this one.

Tarot cards still share this symbol, according to this wiki link.

Clubs (suit)

"It is typically associated with war"

"The English word for the suit is clubs. This is probably a translation of Spanish bastos 'clubs' - which is the symbol used on old Spanish playing cards. (And still are in Tarot.)"

Wiki - Clubs (suit)

FFH

Veteran Member
Depends on if it's wholesome entertainment...
That's what I've tried to get to the heart of in this thread. Why is it that these cards are shunned by many Christians ????

Is it the spade and club symbols/suits representing death and war ??? What is it that makes them no good to have around the house, according LDS church leaders.

I answered your questions, to some degree, a few pages back, you maybe missed it or maybe I didn't answer the way you thought I might answer..

You might miss this response too, because I post later at night also. I work crazy hours, worked 13 today and tried responding in this thread today but I was busy working and couldn't pull away much today..

FFH

Veteran Member
Oh, no!!! Run for the hills!!! The "clubs" suit is STILL USED IN TAROT. Quick....WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!!
Yeah, I know, I was counting on that type of response for sure.

Just remember, millions rallied around a crooked cross and millions were killed....

Certain colors and symbols together seem to grip the hearts of men..

If this were not the case, no one would give a rip about this thread and would ignore me.

This thread should prove how much a bunch of plastic with a few symbols on it can grip one's life to the point in which they would defend them to no end...

Try throwing them out, it's almost impossible for most to do..

FFH

Veteran Member
Yep, pretty powerful color scheme, just add a few symbols of death and war, thrown in with a heart to appeal to peoples emotions and then add a diamond (possibly a symbol representing wealth, who knows) and everyone will want them.

Got to find out the history of the diamond and the heart...

Possible representations.

War ~~~~~~~~~~ Death~~~~~~~~ Wealth~~~~~~~ Emotions

nutshell

Yeah, I know, I was counting on that type of response for sure.

Just remember, millions rallied around a crooked cross and millions were killed....

Certain colors and symbols together seem to grip the hearts of men..

If this were not the case, no one would give a rip about this thread and would ignore me.

This thread should prove how much a bunch of plastic with a few symbols on it can grip one's life to the point in which they would defend them to no end...

Try throwing them out, it's almost impossible for most to do..

People don't give a rip about this thread (see doppleganger's early post). It's more like morbid fascination because, I'm sorry, you're so ridiculous.