• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

Booko

Deviled Hen
Yep, pretty powerful color scheme, just add a few symbols of death and war, thrown in with a heart to appeal to peoples emotions and then add a diamond (possibly a symbol representing wealth, who knows) and everyone will want them.

Got to find out the history of the diamond and the heart...

Possible representations.

War ~~~~~~~~~~ Death~~~~~~~~ Wealth~~~~~~~ Emotions

Funny, it's the exact same color scheme the newborn infants can perceive the best.

Newborns must be EVIL!!!!

(Or maybe it's just because it's high-contrast...:sarcastic)

Booko

Deviled Hen
So why didn't the Germans stick it on every Volkswagen ???

We stuck it on a Baha'i temple, FFH, long before the Nazis appropriated it and ruined it for their own designs.

It represents the Zoroastrian faith.

Only the weak rally around a symbol like that, it's the same with the symbols on poker cards, just more subtle...
Gee, thanks a bunch.

It's nice to know you think we're "weak."

FFH

Veteran Member
Funny, it's the exact same color scheme the newborn infants can perceive the best.

Newborns must be EVIL!!!!

(Or maybe it's just because it's high-contrast...:sarcastic)
Yeah, that's it !!! The high contrast between the darkness/blackness of hell and the red firey flames of hell...:seesaw:

Death war and hell althogether in one deck of cards, who woulda thunk it..:sad4:

Edit: So is that the first thing we should show our newborns ??? Here we gotcha a brand new set of poker cards for you to play with..:sad4:

FFH

Veteran Member
Think of it as akin to traffic slowing down to see a car wreck.
You guys must be a lot more bored than I am if this has gone on this long....

We haven't even covered the Joker yet...hmmm lets see what almighty Wiki has to say on the matter..

FFH

Veteran Member
Hmmm WIKIPOKER.com

Ah shoulda bought that domain when it was 10 bucks, now it's worth 50,000.:no:

And I thought poker.com was the highest priced domain

Business.com $7.5 million
AsSeenOnTv.com $5.1 million
Altavista.com $3.3 million
Wine.com $2.9 million
Autos.com $2.2 million
Express.com $1.8 million
Wallstreet.com $1m
Rock.com $1m
Websites.com $970,000
Drugs.com $830,000

Ah there it is poker.de sold for $957,937 on 7/17/7 (not poker.com though of course)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Oh yes, playing cards will make you evil and lose the spirit if they are in your home. :areyoucra Honestly, if you really think this, then you have no self-control and no free will. If you let something influence you that much, you have much more problems then simply playing cards.

FFH

Veteran Member
Oh yes, playing cards will make you evil and lose the spirit if they are in your home. :areyoucra Honestly, if you really think this, then you have no self-control and no free will. If you let something influence you that much, you have much more problems then simply playing cards.
Yeah, I have a habit of saying, "the cards made me do it," rather than, "the devil made me do it"..:confused:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Yeah, I have a habit of saying, "the cards made me do it," rather than, "the devil made me do it"..:confused:

Either way, the devil can only make you do it if you let him. There is a problem with it if you keep letting the devil 'make you do things'. If you keep letting him have power, then he will have it, ever thought of that?

FFH

Veteran Member
Either way, the devil can only make you do it if you let him. There is a problem with it if you keep letting the devil 'make you do things'. If you keep letting him have power, then he will have it, ever thought of that?
I know I was just kidding, but to a certain degree I blame things for negative actions, so I try to get rid of things that bring on negative actions...

TV, radio/stereo and computer have to stay though...:D

Everything else has to go..:)

I'm just too weak...:eek:

FFH

Veteran Member
Some other people just aren't. If playing cards do not bother us, I fail to see how they are a harm in our homes.
It's just the spirit which they bring into the home, not consistant with the spirit of Christ.

Would Jesus sit down and play with poker cards ??? ;)

At least that's what they're associated with and because of that reason they literally give me the creeps...

I struggle with other things, don't get me wrong...this is just something I'm not interested in (gambling or playing with cards or board games)

Poker cards give me the creeps for some reason. I can't stand to see them. It's weird I know...

Possibly because of the grief I've been through working under people who have been addicted to gambling...

I grew up practically in the outdoors so indoor games bore me..

chintz

chatlaney
What nonsense? Playing cards and Evil? According to our religion, we play cards on the eve of our new year. And Gamble too! Its meant to bring you good luck and prosperity as you rotate cash from one player to another. also brings a sense of sharing and feeling that money is not stagnant and always moving or changing hands whether we like it or not. :angel2:

Aqualung

Tasty
Oh yes, playing cards will make you evil and lose the spirit if they are in your home. :areyoucra
They might. Paul was right on the money when he pointed out that although there was no law against meat, it was quite possible that some people would have such a response to meat. There is no law against cards, yet it might create that same response.

Honestly, if you really think this, then you have no self-control and no free will. If you let something influence you that much, you have much more problems then simply playing cards.
Some people are good at somethings, and other people are good at other things. At least FFH can recognise what tempts him to sin and stay away from it, and isn't that really what we're all trying to do?

Booko

Deviled Hen
It's just the spirit which they bring into the home, not consistant with the spirit of Christ.

Yes, the evil spirit of family unity that comes from playing cribbage and spades...

I struggle with other things, don't get me wrong...this is just something I'm not interested in (gambling or playing with cards or board games)

I'm not interested in gambling either. If I had a problem with that, I may not have cards in my house for that reason, just as an alcoholic would be unwise to have booze around.

I grew up practically in the outdoors so indoor games bore me..

We didn't spend time outdoors during blizzards. We invited the neighbors over to play cards and visit.

Being neighborly is very evil, I guess.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Some people are good at somethings, and other people are good at other things. At least FFH can recognise what tempts him to sin and stay away from it, and isn't that really what we're all trying to do?

It's not what FFH is trying to do. He's trying to claim that playing cards are inherently evil, which is quite another kettle of fish.

If FFH judges he should not have cards in his own home because they may pose a temptation to him, fine.

But he's claiming we're all evil by having those evil cards around, even if he's doing so indirectly.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We didn't spend time outdoors during blizzards. We invited the neighbors over to play cards and visit.

Being neighborly is very evil, I guess.
Just don't use cards.

Risk, Battleship and chess (i.e. home versions of warfare) are fine; the Game of Life (which involves "gambing" with fake money, and in some cases usury) is okay too. The celebration of gluttony that is Candy Land is perfectly all right.

Crazy Eights is right out, though: it's pure evil.

Bishka

Veteran Member

True, but he is trying to tell us that playing cards are evil and that we should all stay away from them. Some of us do not need to and find it a bit offensive that FFH is calling us out on having a 'bad spirit' in our homes, when it's quite the opposite for some.

Aqualung

Tasty
It's not what FFH is trying to do. He's trying to claim that playing cards are inherently evil, which is quite another kettle of fish.
But only because he fails to seperate himself from others. He says they bring a spirit into his home, but fails to make the distinction between us. I have pointed out the distinction (and he has ignored it or just not noticed it), but I don't think he is specifically trying to claim that they are evil in and of themselves. I think he is trying to claim that they bring an evil spirit to his house because of what they represent (but then fails to add) to him.

Of course, I could be completely misunderstanding his point and you could be totally right. But I wanted to throw my interpretation in there, too.