• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

FFH

Veteran Member
I want to know if dreidels are evil. :(
It's original intent was not for gambling, but it's also used for that now.

It's a type of dice.

Dreidel

A dreidel (Hebrew: סביבון, Sevivon) is a four-sided top, played with during the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. The dreidel is used for a gambling game similar to Teetotum.

Dreidel

If it leads you to gamble, get rid of it, I say...regular dice included.

I don't have dice or cards in my home...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I don't have dice or cards in my home...
Dice too, now?

I thought you said before that dice were okay... didn't you? This thread is getting so large it'd take too long for me to dig through to check, but I do have a vague recollection of you saying something like that.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Wait, wait! I think you may have hit upon something!

Let's take a look at that again... "If it leads you to gamble, get rid of it".

Holy crap! You know, one would think the same thing could apply to cards! If it leads you to do 'evil' things, get rid of it! But if it doesn't? Well, they fall into the same territory as dreidels.

FFH

Veteran Member
Dice too, now?

I thought you said before that dice were okay... didn't you? This thread is getting so large it'd take too long for me to dig through to check, but I do have a vague recollection of you saying something like that.
No, if you go back and look they are on my hit list too, as are dominos, since they are patterned after dice, which are used in gambling....

Anything that reminds me of gambling is on my hit/trash list...

Better to throw them in the trash...

It's the "appearance of evil" teaching, the LDS church pushes...

For instance "near beer" was a big issue quite a few years back.. Wasn't beer but it was the appearance of beer that the LDS church has issues with.

Remember we don't even have crosses on our church buildings because they depict something evil, a horrible torture tool invented by evil men...

FFH

Veteran Member
Wait, wait! I think you may have hit upon something!

Let's take a look at that again... "If it leads you to gamble, get rid of it".

Holy crap! You know, one would think the same thing could apply to cards! If it leads you to do 'evil' things, get rid of it! But if it doesn't? Well, they fall into the same territory as dreidels.
Anything that leads one to gamble, I personally get rid of...dice included...and I personally don't have any cards in the home....

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Anything that leads one to gamble I personally get rid of...dice included...
Alright, when are you getting rid of your computer? Online gambling games exist, you know.

You should get rid of your car, too. Some people bet on racing cars.

What about your TV and radio? Some people use those to find out the winning lottery numbers.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
If you know Derren Brown you don't even need to win when betting on races. Just take the losing ticket and use your mind powers to convince the cashier person that you have the winning ticket. they'll give you all the cash you want.

SoyLeche

meh...
If you know Derren Brown you don't even need to win when betting on races. Just take the losing ticket and use your mind powers to convince the cashier person that you have the winning ticket. they'll give you all the cash you want.
He can convince a few people to hand over their walets on the way out too.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I yet maintain that this is a dumb topic, and a silly premise to pursue.

After 434 postings...the overall consensus lends compelling answer as..."NO".

Why does this ridiculous thread persist?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC

Must....continue....to post....in this....thread.:thud:

Aqualung

Tasty

It persists because of a hundred posts or so saying, "Why is this thread still going? This is a dumb topic".

SoyLeche

meh...
It persists because of a hundred posts or so saying, "Why is this thread still going? This is a dumb topic".
I think everyone should just stop posting in this thread - and if any of you post again I will post to tell you to stop posting in this thread.