• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

Popeyesays

I think everyone should just stop posting in this thread - and if any of you post again I will post to tell you to stop posting in this thread.

And then someone will post here to tell not to "tell them what to do."

Perhaps a flamethrower, or a tactical nuclear device will stop the infestation. To quote the movie Aliens. "I say nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Regards,
Scott

SoyLeche

meh...
And then someone will post here to tell not to "tell them what to do."

Perhaps a flamethrower, or a tactical nuclear device will stop the infestation. To quote the movie Aliens. "I say nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Regards,
Scott
You should really stop posting in this thread. We all should.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm not going to stop posting until FFH tells me why he hasn't got rid of his computer, car, etc, since they cause some people to want to gamble.

Aqualung

Tasty
I'm not going to stop posting until FFH tells me why he hasn't got rid of his computer, car, etc, since they cause some people to want to gamble.

Oh no! With SoyLeche gone, this thread will grow exponentially!

I don't think he's going to answer, though.

Aqualung

Tasty
You know, I think the Book of Mormon makes me want to gamble. Better get rid of that, too.

Yes, if the BoM caused you to want to gamble, you should get rid of that temptation. Better to cut off your leg and enter into the kingdom of heaven than to enter into hell with both legs.

SoyLeche

meh...

Oh no! With SoyLeche gone, this thread will grow exponentially!

I don't think he's going to answer, though.

You know, I think the Book of Mormon makes me want to gamble. Better get rid of that, too.

Yes, if the BoM caused you to want to gamble, you should get rid of that temptation. Better to cut off your leg and enter into the kingdom of heaven than to enter into hell with both legs.

All right you guys - that's enough.

Move along - nothing to see here.

FFH

Veteran Member
Not at Quaker status yet, but working on it...

Abandoned my car last year...

One thing at a time...;)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
SoyLeche: I'll post on the threads I wish to post on, thanks.

FFH: So you are planning to give up your computer specifically because some people gamble with it? What about money? Holding money makes some people want to gamble.

What if the Book of Mormon makes me want to gamble? Should you get rid of it, too?

FFH

Veteran Member
Actually that scripture applies here oddly enough...

This scripture teaches us to get rid of anything that would prevent a person from entering into the kingdom of God.

Get rid of whatever causes you to stumble, not a leg of course, but whatever thing in your life that is a hinderance to your progression towards becoming a god in the heavens...

Would rather be a god in the heavens than an angel serving God forever...

Sola'lor

LDSUJC

I remember seeing a commercial for a medicine. it said something like "You may experience intense gambling and sexual urges."

FFH

Veteran Member
SoyLeche: I'll post on the threads I wish to post on, thanks.

FFH: So you are planning to give up your computer specifically because some people gamble with it?
No, just kidding earlier...I did abandone my car, in favor of a bullet bike for now... I'm holding out for an electric car, if they ever start mass producing them again...

I'm done with internal combustion engines, except for my bike, which gives me no troubles..

The computer would be the last thing to go if were that fanatical about it, which I'm not...and it would make no sense to get rid of things we need like cars and computers :)

I don't need a deck of cards....they do me no good whatsoever...
What about money?
There was a point in my life, just a few months at a time I tried this, when I wouldn't keep money in my wallet, simply because of the symbols on some of the bills, but that became nearly impossible and quickly got over that phase..

Some of us just have different issues like that.
Holding money makes some people want to gamble.
For what it's worth I trade sctocks on the stock market. I have won and lost thousands, mostly losses of course...but occasionally I'll break even again, meaning I'll recover all my losses, I eventually get back to my original investment amount, then will quickly take a stupid risk and start to lose again...

Somehow if I focus enough i get back to being even again every time though...

This is as much gambling as you'll ever get out of me...

If It were not for my faith, I might have fallen victim to the gambling industry, just for the thrill of it. I love putting my wits to the test in the stock market. It's a rush when you get a good trade in....

I have extra money but I need to get serious and try to actually make money...

Gambling is something in which I would not be able to control the outcome, but with the stock market I can, to some degree, control my losses and maximize my gains if I focus enough on it and don't take any risks...

What if the Book of Mormon makes me want to gamble? Should you get rid of it, too?
I usually ask myself, what was the object specifically designed for and what does it immediately make me think of..

Poker cards are on my hit list as a high priority item not to be found within eye sight. I can't stand to even look at them...

Out of all the objects I would throw out first, poker cards would be number one as would certain movies, music, books and things and/or objects not in harmony with my beliefs.

I am tempted by what's on the net just like anyone else, but the computer does not make me think of anything in particular, it's just a neutral object, as is a television, stereo, car, horse, etc. These objects do not make one focus on anything in particular.

Poker cards make me think of gambling, which seriously disgusts me..

The last owner of the biz I worked for gambled his profits away and I had know him since I started with this company years ago. He is LDS and a really really really great guy and I hated to see him go, but he lost his profits in Las Vegas, when they traced his spending habits there and he was promptly removed as the owner of this particular set of stores and another put in his place.

He lost everything he had worked years to build and his main investor lost all he had put into it too. It was a sad situation and one I will never forget. I was a day away from losing my job, since the doors were one day away from closing but a miracle happened and a couple of guys found out about this bankruptcy and took over and turned it around and now my position is fairly secure and I have a nice position in the company..

Not that great of pay, but it's twice as much as I need to pay the bills, so it's fine for me...

Gambling ruins peoples lives..

This guy who was the owner, hired me back in 1985 while I was in high school and have known him for years and he slipped up just a few times and lost his profits in Las Vegas and quickly went bankrupt and many of my paychecks bounced as did many others but we got our money and he lost...

I hate the gambling industry...

Too many similar stories like this to tell..

FFH

Veteran Member
In other words, I have enough temptaions as it is just owning a computer, which I need, but I don't need a deck of cards or a bunch of movies, music and books and other things not in harmony with my beliefs..

Anything to make my life easier to deal with...

Popeyesays

"Gambling is something in which I would not be able to control the outcome, but with the stock market I can, to some degree, control my losses and maximize my gains if I focus enough on it and don't take any risks..."

I don't gamble either, and when I did play cards for money many moons ago, that was why I stuck to poker, gin, bridge and whist. I had the most control I could get playing those games which are skill based.

Horses, roulette, even craps? No, thanks.

Regards,
Scott

FFH

Veteran Member
Poker cards have the appearance of evil. They represent an evil money sucking industry, they make me sick just looking at them. I can't stand to see them and would throw away every deck of cards that came into my view, if I could. That's how much I hate this evil industry, the gambling industry.

I completely despise playing cards, because of this and personally don't use cards of any kind.

This scripture is what I base my belief on.

Thessalonians 5: 22,23
22 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
23 Abstain from all appearances of evil.

nutshell

Poker cards have the appearance of evil. They represent an evil money sucking industry, they make me sick just looking at them. I can't stand to see them and would throw away every deck of cards that came into my view, if I could. That's how much I hate this evil industry, the gambling industry.

I completely despise playing cards.

This scripture is what I base my belief on.

Thessalonians 5: 22,23
22 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
23 Abstain from all appearances of evil.

So does that mean you abstain from all medicine? After all, I pretty sure most would define big pharm. as a "money sucking industry."

FFH

Veteran Member
So does that mean you abstain from all medicine? After all, I pretty sure most would define big pharm. as a "money sucking industry."
Actually I do abstain from all medicine...

I eat healthy and have not been to a doctor or dentist in over 22 years.

We have no medical or dental insurance. We don't need it and we save a whole boat load of money.

Eat right and you won't have any problems...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
FFH,

When was the last time you spoke in church (from the pulpit I mean)?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I eat healthy and have not been to a doctor or dentist in over 22 years.
Congratulations. That's quite an impressive record.

We have no medical or dental insurance. We don't need it and we save a whole boat load of money.
Seems to me as if that goes against the Church's advice on emergency preparedness.

Eat right and you won't have any problems...
Wouldn't it be nice if eating right was a 100% guanantee of good health and a temple recommend was a 100% guarantee against an automobile accident. It's one thing to have faith and other thing to have common sense. Believe it or not, it's actually possible to do both.