• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Satan and Hell as bad they say?

danny vee

I understand, and I actually agree with you. We may have words for different feelings but those words only have meaning to those who have actually experienced those emotions before. I'm not saying I don't want to experience "complete and utter bliss". I'm merely saying that I wouldn't want to experience it for eternity.;)

That's cool with me I just think that feeling content is what we're after, us people.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
That's cool with me I just think that feeling content is what we're after, us people.

I like feeling content, but it's not what I'm after. I'm after harmony and while contentedness may "come with the package" it isn't the reason for my journey. The reason for my journey is understanding and exploration. So while I may seek harmony, in a way at least, I hope I never reach it, because that would mean my journey would be over, and I'm enjoying my journey too much right now:D. I hope I make sense and that I'm not just further muddying the waters.

logician

Heaven and hell were invented as carrot/stick concepts to get and maintain believers for the Christian church. Neither has even much biblical support.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Heaven and hell were invented as carrot/stick concepts to get and maintain believers for the Christian church. Neither has even much biblical support.

My understanding was that heaven was a Biblical concept, and in the Bible, "hell" is simply the place you go when you die: "Sheol". The modern concepts appear to be borrowed from Greek mythology, where the modern "hell" is Tartarus, and the modern "heaven" is Elysian. (I guess the Biblical "Sheol" would be Asphodel? :shrug:)

So the early Christian church didn't invent anything; they adapted something that already exists. That's very characteristic of the early church; it's uncharacteristic, from what I've seen, for the early church to make something up to attract the masses or scare them into believing. Scare tactics were used, for sure(possibly unintentionally), but not using tools they invented themselves. It's obvious to me that the church leaders at the time, at least most of them, believed every word they preached. (at least there's no reason, for me, to believe they were intentionally lying)

emiliano

My understanding was that heaven was a Biblical concept, and in the Bible, "hell" is simply the place you go when you die: "Sheol". The modern concepts appear to be borrowed from Greek mythology, where the modern "hell" is Tartarus, and the modern "heaven" is Elysian. (I guess the Biblical "Sheol" would be Asphodel? :shrug:)

So the early Christian church didn't invent anything; they adapted something that already exists. That's very characteristic of the early church; it's uncharacteristic, from what I've seen, for the early church to make something up to attract the masses or scare them into believing. Scare tactics were used, for sure(possibly unintentionally), but not using tools they invented themselves. It's obvious to me that the church leaders at the time, at least most of them, believed every word they preached. (at least there's no reason, for me, to believe they were intentionally lying)

To complicate thing even more, the final destination of the of the Godless is the Lake of Fire, the place of torment of the deceiver Satan, there they will live eternity with him in his kingdom and eternally separated from God‘s kingdom.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
To complicate thing even more, the final destination of the of the Godless is the Lake of Fire, the place of torment of the deceiver Satan, there they will live eternity with him in his kingdom and eternally separated from God‘s kingdom.

And, though I disagree with the concept, this IS a Biblical concept.

Sorry, Logician. The fiery domain of Satan is in the Bible.