• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there single fathers, who never married, with children in the West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draka

Wonder Woman
You think I am bad for saying don't kill. Immediately you go to the extreme and think up some story where you might have to. You can't think of defending someone without killing the attacker. But you have a gun or bow (which suggests you will kill) that just happens to be handy. You sound as though you should be in the Police force.
Hey buddy, I was in the military, I worked restriction barracks and was a brig runner while in for a little while each. I also did happen to start the recruitment process for the SDPD (San Diego Police Department) before deciding to move back home. So believe it or not, I take no insult at all to you saying I sound as though I should be police. I smile at it.

dust1n

Zindīq
That is a story of Yisrael which is an example of man. we still kill. We still defend it. It is still wrong.

A specimen of that ruin which came down upon Israel at last, for misusing God’s prophets, and of which this was intended to give them fair warning. Elisha heard their taunts, a good while, with patience; but at length the fire of holy zeal for God was kindled in his breast by the continued provocation, and he turned and looked upon them, to try if a grave and severe look would put them out of countenance and oblige them to retire, to see if he could discern in their faces any marks of ingenuousness; but they were not ashamed, neither could they blush; and therefore he cursed them in the name of the Lord, both imprecated and denounced the following judgment, not in personal revenge for the indignity done to himself, but as the mouth of divine justice to punish the dishonour done to God. His summons was immediately obeyed. Two she-bears (bears perhaps robbed of their whelps) came out of an adjacent wood, and presently killed forty-two children, v. 24. Now in this, (1.) The prophet must be justified, for he did it by divine impulse. Had the curse come from any bad principle God would not have said Amento it. We may think it would have been better to have called for two rods for the correction of these children than two bears for the destruction of them. But Elisha knew, by the Spirit, the bad character of these children. He knew what a generation of vipers those were, and what mischievous enemies they would be to God’s prophets if they should live to be men, who began so early to be abusive to them. He intended hereby to punish the parents and to make them afraid of God’s judgments. (2.) God must be glorified as a righteous God, that hates sin, and will reckon for it, even in little children. Let the wicked wretched brood make our flesh tremble for fear of God. Let little children be afraid of speaking wicked words, for God notices what they say.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/2-kings/2.html

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Fathers with full custody, but have never been married to the mother exist, but that situation is rare. Many fathers get custody after a divorce though. Usually the mother gets it, but not always.
Tom
Post #98 refers. Could we have figures of such rare fathers and most mothers?

Regards

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You think I am bad for saying don't kill. Immediately you go to the extreme and think up some story where you might have to. You can't think of defending someone without killing the attacker. But you have a gun or bow (which suggests you will kill) that just happens to be handy. You sound as though you should be in the Police force.

Was it wrong to try to kill Hitler? Very unlawful in Germany at that time.

Ciao

- viole

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
A specimen of that ruin which came down upon Israel at last, for misusing God’s prophets, and of which this was intended to give them fair warning. Elisha heard their taunts, a good while, with patience; but at length the fire of holy zeal for God was kindled in his breast by the continued provocation, and he turned and looked upon them, to try if a grave and severe look would put them out of countenance and oblige them to retire, to see if he could discern in their faces any marks of ingenuousness; but they were not ashamed, neither could they blush; and therefore he cursed them in the name of the Lord, both imprecated and denounced the following judgment, not in personal revenge for the indignity done to himself, but as the mouth of divine justice to punish the dishonour done to God. His summons was immediately obeyed. Two she-bears (bears perhaps robbed of their whelps) came out of an adjacent wood, and presently killed forty-two children, v. 24. Now in this, (1.) The prophet must be justified, for he did it by divine impulse. Had the curse come from any bad principle God would not have said Amento it. We may think it would have been better to have called for two rods for the correction of these children than two bears for the destruction of them. But Elisha knew, by the Spirit, the bad character of these children. He knew what a generation of vipers those were, and what mischievous enemies they would be to God’s prophets if they should live to be men, who began so early to be abusive to them. He intended hereby to punish the parents and to make them afraid of God’s judgments. (2.) God must be glorified as a righteous God, that hates sin, and will reckon for it, even in little children. Let the wicked wretched brood make our flesh tremble for fear of God. Let little children be afraid of speaking wicked words, for God notices what they say.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/matthew-henry-complete/2-kings/2.html
I have not checked, though if correct, it is interesting that they were female bears, as they were almost certainly people; and if they had lost their babies, they must have had severe physiological issues to kill others who themselves must have been young.

dust1n

Zindīq
I have not checked, though if correct, it is interesting that they were female bears, as thought were almost certainly people; and if they had lost their babies, they must have had severe physiological issues to kill others who themselves must have been young.

I find it far more interesting that God's prophet sanctioned and caused the death of 42 kids using bears.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
He has to be. What is, has to come from something it can't come from, doesn't it? Where is the birth of freedom without it?
Where is the weight so heavy he can't lift it yet the God so powerful he can do anything he wants.

So, do you agree He was wrong by ordering the massacre of women and children in the Bible? You seem to rely on Scripture for moral guidance. Or not?

Ciao

- viole

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
So, do you agree He was wrong by ordering the massacre of women and children in the Bible? You seem to rely on Scripture for moral guidance. Or not?

Ciao

- viole
I rely on the Spirit, but it is within the scriptures also, Gnostic included.
To your question, all killing is wrong. But I wonder why you did not concern yourself with the killing of men

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I rely on the Spirit, but it is within the scriptures also, Gnostic included.
To your question, all killing is wrong. But I wonder why you did not concern yourself with the killing of men
Then, necessarily, God ordered immoral actions from people? Can you explain your reasoning?

Also, the "why didn't you mention men" thing was pretty absurd. "Women and children" are a group that, throughout history, have been thought of as "innocent". The men, most likely, or at least most of the able bodied ones, were probably combatants.

Status
Not open for further replies.